Quantcast

FOX DHX= Hype?

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
SO i just built the rear wheel on my new turner and took it for a short XC type ride. Nothing steep and a little downhill. And i must say what i feel about the new FOX dhx, and that is it total hype. I dont really think that it pedals any better than a romic double D, maybe it is the frame, but the turner pedals about the same as my old giant with a romic. But i must say that the frame is outstanding and is a total railing machine.

I think that the FOX feels about the same as the romic, but i havent taken it off any big hits yet to test its bottoming power, but as for the pedal technology, i just feel as it isnt there at all. I also didnt really think that the preload did anything at all either, not enough adjustment.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
.:Jeenyus:. said:
DId you play with the propedal setting at all?
A little, Im just saying that i dont think its worth the extra cash... I think that a well set up 5th or 6 way could easily beat it, although it is easier to set up than the manitou or 5th elements.

mack said:
A little, Im just saying that i dont think its worth the extra cash... I think that a well set up 5th or 6 way could easily beat it, although it is easier to set up than the manitou or 5th elements.
Im going to have to disagree with you here. I spent hours messing with setup of the 5th of my Heckler, and was able to get it performing pretty well. I switched to the DHX and was found it better than the 5th in almost every aspect. It just plain feels better. I havn't found anyone that liked their 5th more than a DHX.

Guntruck

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
Mill Creek, WA
I dunno I cant decide what I like better. The DHX on my DHR is weird. Seems like it's hard to feel the difference the propedal adjustment makes. My 5th was simple to adjust and you could feel the results quite easily.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
my 2c.
My 5th had horrible small bump performance.
Romics can feel great if tuned right, but you have to send them to romic to have them tuned.
DHX requires some tuning to get it to pedal well enough to match the hype.

As with all high end suspension, you must put some time and effort into tuning before you pass judgment.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Guntruck said:
Seems like it's hard to feel the difference the propedal adjustment makes. .

Yes, i think that you can feel it while riding and the shock tends to bob a little less while your pedaling in the saddle. But you deffinatly cant notice any D by just sitting on the bike.

The bottom out is kinda useless on a DHR, that plus the linkage seems like total over kill. Its all the way out now.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
lovebunny said:
i was jsut about to say that. remember when he decided to work on his shiver and dropped oil all over his house?
Not the brightest crayon in the box, i agree.

Sidebar: My DHX 5 feels MUCH better then any 5th, swinger or older RC propedal I have ever ridden. Setup properly, it is incredible. I love guys who try and test suspension in the parking lot - it doesn't work that way.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
All companies are guilty of trying to generate some hype, there's nothing wrong with it. It's the consumer's fault if they believe all the hype.

That said, I was able to try a DHX on my vp-free for a couple days at Whistler and I liked it so much I am gonna buy one to replace my 5th. It has a more lively and active feel than my 5th. My bike instantly felt like it had more usable travel, and the adjustments are more independent. So for example you can dial in propredal damping without changing your other settings - very handy for those days when you have to climb to the top of your favorite local run.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Ah, I see. So you only played with it "a little" but compare it to a "well set up" 5th or 6way. This was, of course, after a "short XC type ride" with "nothing steep and a little downhill".

Yet, you find yourself fully qualified to judge the shock as pure hype.

I see. :rolleyes:

:stosh:

Macrider

Monkey
Oct 13, 2003
Los Angeles
OGRipper said:
All companies are guilty of trying to generate some hype, there's nothing wrong with it. It's the consumer's fault if they believe all the hype.

That said, I was able to try a DHX on my vp-free for a couple days at Whistler and I liked it so much I am gonna buy one to replace my 5th. It has a more lively and active feel than my 5th. My bike instantly felt like it had more usable travel, and the adjustments are more independent. So for example you can dial in propredal damping without changing your other settings - very handy for those days when you have to climb to the top of your favorite local run.
I just got back from Whistler/Shore - DHX on my vp-free felt so good it was stupid - the two previous trips to the Great White North I had my RFX w/Push-ed RC - the DHX/Free was a huge step up in performance...

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
And the DHX-air isn't shabby either. I've had this one on my RFX for a week now. So far, mostly trail riding. I haven't drop tested it yet.
BTW, these are now available to the common man!

sn0wboarder

Monkey
Mar 16, 2003
NJ
You took your bike out on a xc ride and your saying its nothing spectacular. Why don't you ride it for half a season or a full season and tell us what you dislike about, not after one xc ride.

I've been on a DHX since May and I can definitely feel the difference between the propedal settings. Next time you go for a ride, turn the propedal off completely and ride it like that for a bit. Then turn it on all the way. If you can't tell the difference then I don't know what to say. Did you play with the pressure yet?

I rode a swinger 4 way before and honestly, it felt like crap.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
lovebunny said:
i was jsut about to say that. remember when he decided to work on his shiver and dropped oil all over his house?

Remember when you broke your thumb by shoving it too far up your butt? :think:

Ive worked on my shivver tons of times, i just droped the fork lowers by mistake. But im sure you guys never make mistakes in the shop... :rolleyes:

I have also given it the parking lot test... :sneaky: I feel like i have just succesfully poked the bee hives nest.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
mack said:
I feel like i have just succesfully poked the bee hives nest.
I didn't know bee hives had nests either.....

I love my DHX, it feels better than any 5th I've ridden (well set-up ones, too), better than a romic and by far better than a Fox RC. The progressiveness feels smooth and great, not off-and-on like the 5th. The propedal adjustments really do make a difference, you have to get a feeling on how the air pressure and propedal adjustments affect each other but once you get it right it feels great.

I haven't had much time on a swinger 6-way but from the rides I've had the DHX feels a bit more controlled, if you know what I mean.

Give your shock some time and play with the settings a bunch, once you get the feel for the shock you should like it a lot more.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
Transcend said:
Your toilet explodes? Oh man - and I chose to vacation in Manchester next month....
i thought 'vacation....Manchester' was an oxymoron by definition.

seriously tho I used to fly there 3X a year on business...

:stosh: