Quantcast

Fox DHX vs DHX Air.

May 13, 2006
Olympia, WA
I just got a used Banshee Scream. Its got a Fox Vanilla RC on it now. I want something with a good pedal control platform on it but still take the hits. Im looking at a DHX but the DHX Air also looks kinda nice, but seems not at strong. What do you guys think?

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Dan,

Look up Push Industries to get the RC "pushed". I'd avoid the DHX-Air on the scream. that is a high leverage bike that would take lots of air pressure to keep from bottoming out.

-d

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Dirty-DanChez said:
Thanks, I was thinking that the AIR wouldnt be a great fit on the scream.

I'll check out push.

Thanks Again

No prob! I had a scream a few years back. It was a great bike. Only real downfalls were weight and the high leverage.....

May 13, 2006
Olympia, WA
Yea I agree with you. But I got it used for a good price, and was looking to set up my hucking status from an AC 1. Eventually I would like to get a whole new set up. But I would like to build my skills on a older bike than a new one.

Thanks again for your help Oly

mtbikermark

Monkey
Oct 26, 2004
Jackson, CA
RC's didn't come stock with ProPedal until 2004. What year is the shock?

Also, DHX over DHX Air for sure...Oly's correct about the leverage on the Scream.

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
May I make a reccomendation? Go for the DHX Coil. I tossed the 5th off my scream for the DHX and I think it's the best thing I've put on the bike, second only to 'wheels.' The propedal works as advertised, as does the bottom out control. Awesome shock, to say the least.

tirader

Chimp
Jun 23, 2004
I have had 2 of my rear shocks Pushed and it is defintely worth the money. I suck at setting up suspension right. When the shock is returned it set to the type of bike, rider weight and general riding style. And it is a cheaper way out than buying a new shock. The guys at Push are very customer oriented and the turn around time I think is usually about 3 days. Good Luck.

pdawg

Monkey
Feb 27, 2006
Espoo, Finland
My '05 Coiler came stock with a DHX 4.0, but I upgraded to DHX Air to drop some weight... and cuz I like testing new stuff. :) Glad that the DHX Air had a bottom out adjust because it blew through the travel way too easy. It takes a serious amount of air to get the recommended sag, but the adjustable spring rate is nice.

Recently, my DHX 4.0 was serviced and had a bottom adjust added/enabled (i.e. DHX 5.0). Between the two, the DHX coil version offers the best performance and feel.

-pdawg

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
My buddy runs a Scream and the only shock that has held up for him is the Avalanche.

The Pushed RC is a great idea to save a lot of money.

StinkLink

Chimp
Apr 30, 2005
Western Massachusetts
another point I came across in recent shock research: Fox does not make a DHX coil in a 7.875x2.0 (size i need for my 2001 stinky primo), it does make a DHX air in that size though... does me no good.
I just ordered up a new Roco. Pushing my old Vanilla RC sounds like a good idea, but I just want to try something new. I'll let you know how it goes.

BIGHIT756

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Maple Valley, Washington
the DHX 5.0 coil is the best shock i have ever been on, but even the 4.0 should be pretty good. getting your shock pushed would be good to, as the shock would be identical to the 4.0 wtih propedal.

pdawg

Monkey
Feb 27, 2006
Espoo, Finland
StinkLink said:
another point I came across in recent shock research: Fox does not make a DHX coil in a 7.875x2.0 (size i need for my 2001 stinky primo), it does make a DHX air in that size though... does me no good.
I just ordered up a new Roco. Pushing my old Vanilla RC sounds like a good idea, but I just want to try something new. I'll let you know how it goes.
Another option could be checking with your local Kona dealer to see if they can get an OEM DHX coil direct from Kona.

-pdawg

SXeNDUroX06

Chimp
Jun 12, 2006
bergen county
i have a dhx air 5.0 on my enduro sweet shock for just ridin around and **** and still tough as hell when i huck myself off dirt jumps and drops etc. big hit how do u liek ur sx trail i was plannign on getting that but i got a disount on my enduro through my work

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
garret? yeah its you..ahaha...and i can vouche for the enduro, it rides smooth, yet firmly and he ****ings airs big on it man..25 footers today!

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i would go dhx 5.0. i have not been on one yet, but i have been on a push'd RC and all i can say is that they must have loaded the shock with weaksauce instead of oil. don't go air. for the love of gawd, just don't. plenty of peeps making that air shock work, plenty of them also getting them stuck down.

Jun 13, 2006
CHILE
the dhx is more stronger than dhx air but, dhx air too designed for hard treatment and is very resistant, then you have to do in case you want it to give him very hard or no, but in banshee scream it sounds but dhx air

Jun 18, 2004
dhx coil... yhour gonna need the coil to support the impact of the bounce...

you won't be able to put the air eqivalent of a 550# spring in there will you?... I have a 5th element in my scream which has held up for 2 years... and a dhx coil in my Uzzi Vpx...

all I know about the Scream is that if you don't want to blow up a shock you need to know what spring to run, what air press to run, and hopefully how to land not too damn hard!

I would think that, unless you weigh under 160 you'll kill an air shock or a short travel (ie RoCo) on a Scream... but I sent an email to the owner of Banshee and he thought I could run a 2.0 travel Roco just fine... but I still wouldn't do it on a four bar linkage being over 210#s in gear!

May 13, 2006
Olympia, WA
Well, I've got two springs, a 700 and a 450. Im running the 700 now in 8 inch mode. I have only hit a few jumps and it seemed fine.

I think I'm just gonna get it pushed and call it good for now.

Whislter is about 2 weeks away, so we'll see what happens then.

Thanks to everybody for the advice.