Quantcast

fox float stuck down

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
anyone have a less sketchy method to taking apart a stuck down float rear shock than just taking it apart? is there any way to release the air before disassembly? It has been pushed previously and I assume needs an air sleeve service.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Only way I know of is to take it apart. You have to be careful 'cause the thing can blow off and hit you or go flying. Your assumption is correct...it needs new seals.

mellow_sparky

Monkey
Aug 21, 2009
Washington State
awesome video - clearly he's serviced a few of these...

my question is -- how many people actually service their shock like this every "8 to 40 hours" or is that just Fox propoganda?

insanitylevel9

triple nubby
Jan 7, 2011
hopkinton ma
awesome video - clearly he's serviced a few of these...

my question is -- how many people actually service their shock like this every "8 to 40 hours" or is that just Fox propoganda?
i though 8 hours a oil change and 40 the seals was for the 40 only, if im wrong then i think that is insane for something like a van r 36 that only has rebound dampening.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
If you leave the shock on the bike it makes it easier too. Let all of the air out of the main chamber, then wrap a bunch of rags around the shock to protect it once it does pop off. Slowly unsrcrew the air chamber till it "pops". Once the air chamber is off you can remove the shock from the bike to finish the rebuild.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I do. I had the stuck down shock before too. The safe way to disassemble it slip a screwdriver through the eye and cover it with a rag so that it is padded for when the air sleeve takes off and is captured by the screwdriver.

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
it was freakin loud when it came apart. i was kinda worried about tearing out the last bit of thread when unscrewing the air sleeve but it appeared ok. i left the eyelet with the air sleeve connected to the frame and threaded part of an old towel through the other eyelet then tied it in a knot around the shock body so it was protected. very easy service to do, you just have to be really careful with your tools against the aluminum. i used a sharp knife to stab the seal though a real seal pick or dentist pick would be the tool for the job. I'd say i used up about 4cc of the 5cc float fluid, hope it wasnt too much.