Quantcast

Fox Forx Vanilla's

ibismojo

Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
San Diego
Has anyone changed the travel on their vanilla's from 125 to 100? Does the ride height shrink or does the fork just only go through 100mm of travel instead of the 125?

bEttEs

Chimp
Apr 12, 2002
belgium
check my vanilla with an extra spacer... so it is set at 55mm of travel. It does get a lot lower

greetz
bettes

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Originally posted by bEttEs
check my vanilla with an extra spacer... so it is set at 55mm of travel. It does get a lot lower

greetz
bettes
sweet looking ride. Of course it sits lower. I just bought the 100 rlc to begin with, so no worries. It's plenty tall as it is.

ibismojo

Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
San Diego
ah man, i think i know what i did wrong. when i put the 25mm spacer on top of the negative spring guide, i didn't push down the negative spring guide.

ibismojo

Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
San Diego
dammit, still having trouble. i got the 125mm setup right. the thing is....on the right leg, when you take out the 25mm spacer for the 100mm setup, the top cap is suppose to come down on top of the 20mm spacer. well how do you keep the top cap on top of the 20mm spacer after you've poured in the oil. everytime i pour in the oil, and screw the top cap back on, the lowers just drop back down to the 125mm axel-crown height. am I missing something here? I know for the left leg, you take out the 25mm spacer, and put that above the negative spring for the 100mm setup.

MikeOK

Monkey
Nov 29, 2002
twelve
Sounds like you might not have the spacers arranged correctly. It's a real pain the first time. You have the manual, right? I can send the .pdf if it will help. Here's the diagram from the book:

Attachments

Ventanarama

Chimp
Aug 2, 2002
Fort Collins, CO
Originally posted by ibismojo
how do you make the top cap in red stay on top of the 20mm spacer after you've put the oil in?
Once you thread the top cap back down, it will sit against spacer just fine after you get everything together (assuming that everything is in it's proper place). So, don't worry about it, just set the spacers correctly, put everything back together, and go ride.
Larry Mettler
http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com

ibismojo

Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
San Diego
see, i did that, and when i put the fork back together, the lowers just slid down to the 125mm height. do i just have to ride the fork a couple of times and the axle crown height will adjust itself accordingly?

Ventanarama

Chimp
Aug 2, 2002
Fort Collins, CO
Originally posted by ibismojo
see, i did that, and when i put the fork back together, the lowers just slid down to the 125mm height. do i just have to ride the fork a couple of times and the axle crown height will adjust itself accordingly?
Hmmm, are you sure that you got the negative spring spacer in the correct spot? It's a little hard to tell from the diagram in the manual, they should put a better picture on that part. You pull the rod out, slide the negative spring (and the black plastic washer on top of it) down and put the 25mm spacer on top of the negative spring. I could post a close-up picture on Tuesday if that would help. If the lowers are extending too far then I'd be willing to bet the lower 25mm spacer isn't in the right spot.
Larry Mettler
http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Your spacer should snap on a rod that extends from the cartridge through the spring and up into the top cap, right? The rod can move wherever it wants to probabally up to 150mm no matter what spacers you have on there, the left leg, the one with the main spring and no cartridge, determines how far the fork will move. Check the location of the springs in the other side. It sounds like maybe something is wrong there. Like has been said before there isn't really anything you can do wrong on the right side unless there is something wrong with your cartridge assembly. PS you don't have to take the oil out of the right side to change the travel, just pop off the top cap, pull up on it and snap on or off the spacers you need, then slide the top cap back down and screw it on.