Quantcast

Fox increasing the service information for it's customers?

FastTimes

Monkey
Jul 2, 2002
Toronto
Fox increasing the service information for it's customers?

Looks like Fox is stepping up their consumer info relating to service. I am pretty stoked to see this. I have been super happy with my 40RC2 but would like to be able to fine tune and service it more. I think this will satisfy the tuners in all of us. Now if only they would cough up the DHX details!

http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/index.htm#service/forks/40/40rc2.htm

Pce,

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Must have finally gotten sick of people sending **** back. Good for them to finally step-up and provide what other companies have from the beginning :clapping: I'm partially kidding, that is most defenitly one of the best service guides I have ever seen.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The reason they haven't posted it before, was that too many hacks try to "fix" stuff and "adjust" things and then claim warranty. There really wasn't much reason to want to fiddle with the inside of a cartridge.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
does anyone have a pdf of a fox vanila r?
I want to open my shock and make it dw link tune.

thanks.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911

thanks.
No go, that shock is nitrogen charged so unless you have a handy way to fill it...

Why put a vanilla r shock on a DW link bike? Get a nicer shock dude!

-Steve-

Chimp
Mar 3, 2005
Hungary [EU]

thanks.
You can find some really handy infos here: http://ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133226

and than hunt down a Manitou Swinger service manual, because the
two shocks are nearly identical (except the bladder reservoir in the
vanilla), and the Manitou service manual is well detailed.
Good luck with the tune up!

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
Yup, Fox also has a new Canadian Distributor in OGC, they dumped the former distributor here in Quebec , anyone who ever had to deal with those guys knows what a bunch of incompetent crooks they were. On the other hand OGC is first rate to deal with, one more resaon to get on Fox suspension this year.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Did OGC drop Manitou?? (edit...seems so as it is no longer on the web page)

I do have to agree, OGC has been good to me. James (i think) helped me with some Dorado probs while @ whistler (sent parts up with a buddy the next morning)..definately above and beyond.

Now that I no longer own any manitou parts (but do own some Fox stuff), it is nice to have a good co helping while in the land of 'Eh'.

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
I think that the Manitou/OGC relationship will terminate at the end of February, I heard that Manitou still wanted to stay on with OGC but I think that would not fly with FOX.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
It isn't so much that it wouldn't fly for fox, so much as the fox service center is super busy at all times. OGC probably woudl have had to hire a whole new staff, and from what I understand (hearsay) they were pretty sick of dealing with constant manitou issues (a la dorados).

FastTimes

Monkey
Jul 2, 2002
Toronto
So does anyone know how to adjust the bottom out on the 40 cartridge?
Yes, but unfortunately that doc is not public yet. I can tell you it is quite simple tho and don't see why they wouldn't offer it up at some point if too many guys don't completely bung up their forks based on this latest information provided.

Pce

benno

Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Yes, but unfortunately that doc is not public yet. I can tell you it is quite simple tho and don't see why they wouldn't offer it up at some point if too many guys don't completely bung up their forks based on this latest information provided.

Pce
Any chance you could fill us in? ;-)

FastTimes

Monkey
Jul 2, 2002
Toronto
Any chance you could fill us in? ;-)
I really wish I could, cause god knows I had to jump through some serious hoops to get it. I know this doesn't help but, I would be happy to show guys in person but cannot post or send the info as it would surely come back to bite me in the ass and would break the trust that got me it in the first place. I am sure it will surface soon enough. Honestly, opening up the FIT cart is more intimidating then the bottom out adjustment.

To all the good tech guys out there. What do you think about playing with oil weights. I was originally told it was 5wt in the cart but now see it is 10wt. Like many 40 riders, I seem to fall between spring weights so wonder how the softer spring with heavy weigh or heavy spring with light weigh could work out. Any other tunning ideas come to mind in light of all this new insight?

Thanks,

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
oil weight wont be the best idea to play with..

one trick that i have used with sucess is to create a 'small negative' spring in your fork... it very simple, just take our your main spring, compress your fork to about half way through its travel, open the cart side and close it at that height, so when its at full extension there will be a small vacumm in your cart side leg. this will make the fork really plush... experiment at what height you close the top cap on the cart side to vary the 'negavie spring' rate. :thumb: