Quantcast

Fox Talas vs. Fox Vanilla 125 for 4.5" trail bike

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Hey all,

Okay I'd love to hear your thoughts on a Fox Talas vs. a Fox Vanilla as a replacement fork for my current Rock Shoxx Psylo SL that is on my Balfa Belair.

I like the adjustable travel of the Psylo - hence the consideration of the upgrade to the Talas, but those of you running Vanilla 125s, are they tall forks - say compared to the Psylo or a Z1 etc. etc.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mark

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Traveling the eastern U.S.
Originally posted by MMcG
are they tall forks - say compared to the Psylo or a Z1 etc. etc.
Not as tall as the Z1. I had a TALAS on a bike designed for a Z1, and the BB was low.

The TALAS is a great fork, I loved the way it feels. I used the adjustable travel, and I liked the nearly-infinite ability to tune the feel of the suspension, and, yes, it does feel like a coil fork, not an air fork. Lighter than the Vanilla, but more expensive.

The cartridge in my fork worked great, never had a problem for the year I owned it. I'm sure the springs are more durable, though. I know a guy doing light-duty FR on a TALAS, he doesn't weigh much, but hits it pretty good, and it's holding up for him.

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong either way. Find whichever one you can get for the least amount of cash, and get it.

B

bspill1

the talas is the best fork on the market coil or air , unless you're a cross-country weany! hands down

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I have the Talas RLC on my Heckler, and I love it. I have also ridden the 125 Vanilla. Both are excellent forks, it just boils down to if the extra $ is worth the upgrade for you. In a perfect state of tune, they feel very similar, however the Talas has much more tuneability and it is slightly lighter (I believe).

Why not a Float 120 RLC? They make one, right?

The Talas is just a Float, but with adjustable travel. Will you be cinching your fork down to 85mm travel much (it's not like a Manitou or Maverick lever, you have to screw it down and then fiddle to re-extend it)? If not, why pay more for the TALAS feature? Just get the long air fork, with the RLC including the adjuatable blow-off, and you're dialed.

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Originally posted by EBasil
Why not a Float 120 RLC? They make one, right?
... it's not like a Manitou or Maverick lever, you have to screw it down and then fiddle to re-extend it...?
It's not that hard to do on the fly, I had gotten pretty good at it. You do have to de-weight it to get it to extend back. I agree, the Mav system seems better.

Because of Fox's lower height, the 120 will seem pretty short.

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Originally posted by MMcG
Fox doesn't make a Float 120 - it's either an 80 or 100mm fork.
Hmm, that's what I thought. When EBasil mentioned that, I was assuming that they had come out with a new product for '04, but I couldn't figure out why they would make it 120, not 125 (like the TALAS and Vanilla) or 130 like the 'Zoke.

I guess it does not exist!

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
you can take the 100 rlc and put 125mm springs in it for (who woulda thot) 125mm of travel.ive got one set up exactlythat way comin to me