Quantcast

Fox Vanilla 125 or a Marzocchi Z1?

Aug 13, 2002
sandy beaches of O.C.
Well I have to make a choice soon as to what fork to use on my Joker. I think that Im going to try the Truvativ crankset that you guy's helped me with on another thread, now I need a little more advice as to which fork to use. I have heard nothing but good things about both forks, I think the Fox is a few grams lighter, and I dont mind using standard quick releases.

Im not sure about the Zoke, or which model to use, I think that the SL FR is an air fork, but still weighs more that the coil Fox, so if I chose the Marzocchi, which one? I want the 125-130mm fork, so the Marathons are out, and I dont really want a double crown fork yet, so what does that leave me? the FR's or Dirt jumpers?

Thanks

SwisSlesS

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Home of the Massholes
I would get the Marzocchi. Any of the high end Marzocchis will be great. The Marzocchi will be more reliable, easier to get serviced, and I think has a cheaper price tag. I've heard great things about the Fox Forx also, but I think you should get something that's tried and true.

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by the Inbred
get ready to wait for a Fox.
Yeah, PM Mobius and hear his story, he was told at least a month.

The Fox is an awesome shock, rides incredible, tracks very well. I have some time in on a Fox, I was very impressed.

The Marzocchi.....well.....it's a Marzocchi. I don't really need to say anything else. The DJ series are valved for that, dirt jumping. If that's what you plan on doing, get one. If your trail riding/freeriding, get a Z-1.

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
After three seasons on a Zoke, I spent all last year on the Fox Vanilla 125, and I'm hooked. The fork tracks true as you could want in a single crown, and is super plush for aggressive trail riding.

My only complaint is a bit of top-out sometimes if you pull up when the fork is fully extended (long, steep climbs). But, I have felt this in the DJs too.

I have not yet spent any time with the new Z1s (bigger stanchions). Either fork will be a good buy.

Aug 13, 2002
sandy beaches of O.C.
If I go with the Marzocchi should I get the FR1 or the SL, does any one have any time on the 03 FR SL or even the FR1, I read some at mtbr about the FR1 SL and there is a few good reports, any one have some imput?

thanks

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
I'd go for the Z.1 FR. It's heavy (a whopping 5.7 lb), but really, this thing is the pinnacle of trailriding forks.

Reports I've heard have claimed it's stiffer than an '02 Super T :-)eek: ).

If the weight bothers you, go for the SL, but the FR gives me a woody....

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Originally posted by mrbigisbudgood
Yeah, PM Mobius and hear his story, he was told at least a month.

The Fox is an awesome shock, rides incredible, tracks very well. I have some time in on a Fox, I was very impressed.

The Marzocchi.....well.....it's a Marzocchi. I don't really need to say anything else. The DJ series are valved for that, dirt jumping. If that's what you plan on doing, get one. If your trail riding/freeriding, get a Z-1.
i e-mailed Fox last thursday asking about availability and i've yet to hear back. Ben@Unreal has been waiting about a month now for that fork so my bike can get built. in Jan. he was told "by the end of the month." now they're (and have been) telling him to "check back next week."

Aug 13, 2002
sandy beaches of O.C.
The weight of the fork isnt that big of a deal, however, the FR 1 is about a full pound more than a Fox Vanilla, which has the same size sliders 32mm.
My LBS is get some Vanilla R's in this week, one more thing, I can get the Marzocchi at an almost dealer cost, so it will be cheaper than the Fox.

ET_SoCal

Monkey
Aug 10, 2001
C-Me Valley, CA
I purchased a '02 Z1 from Supergo a few months ago & rode my friend's '03 Float Talas twice (so far), both are regular QR.
) I think any thru-axel fork will be stiffer, does Fox make this?
) The (air) Float is lighter & almost as plush as my Z1, and the adjustability is nice, but I realy wouldn't use it much myself.
It's the most plush air fork I've ever felt/rode on, but only have tried 10 or 15 different forks before so...
) The Fox feels more like a tight (almost race) XC fork, the Marz feels a bit more plusher, taking the small bumps better.
I'm not a big-hit "FreeRider", but most XC people I ride with would disagree on this.
) Turning the knobs on both forks takes a bit, although the Fox knobs were easier to turn while riding (slowly) they still took 10 full turns to "notice" the travil change, that take's a bit. The Marz ECC is quick, but only lock's down (the '03 ETC will not "lock" down, but reduce height and have 80mm of small bump travel).
) Working on your fork yourself:
I've heard Fox will viod warranty if you take it apart.
I've R&R my '00 Z2 a few times, it's too easy.
Haven't needed to RR my Z1 yet, but believe it will be another Marzocchi, easy to work on, fun to ride, and looks ChiChi!

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Fox is what i ordered but i'll be waiting supposedly "we hope end of this month but in reality mid march" thats what i have been told by Jensonusa. And i called Fox and they said as soon as we crank enough out or some crap.

get ready to wait but i think it'll be worth it ill have it in time the resorts open.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
isn't it considered bad business to not be able to forecast the demand for you product? i can understand frames, but it seems to me that Fox would be thinking "hey, we're putting out 2 new forks, along with our existing ones which were quite popular. given the fact that our forks are coming stock on a lot of frames, and they were selling like crazy, maybe we should beef up production runs...."

ah, i absolutely hate waiting. had i known the wait would be like this, i would've gone with a Z1 FR.

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by the Inbred
isn't it considered bad business to not be able to forecast the demand for you product? i can understand frames, but it seems to me that Fox would be thinking "hey, we're putting out 2 new forks, along with our existing ones which were quite popular. given the fact that our forks are coming stock on a lot of frames, and they were selling like crazy, maybe we should beef up production runs...."

ah, i absolutely hate waiting. had i known the wait would be like this, i would've gone with a Z1 FR.
From a manufacturing standpoint.......

This is great. If Fox is running the production facility full bore, they're absorbing some overhead big time, so they will be more profitable. This in turn SHOULD go back into the production lines by means of increased production efficency, because as volumes go up, $.15 per unit starts to add up real quick. We should see prices of Fox shocks come down in about 6-8 months.

:thumb:

Arutha

Monkey
Nov 26, 2002
Western PA
Everyone seems to be having some issues with certain forks. I have been waiting on a Boxxer Team for months and every time I inquire about ETAs it ends up being pushed back. Apperantly Super Ts are hard to get right now too.

As for the question at hand....I really like my FOX R. A very nice fork but if you can get a Z1 for much less than a FOX then get it. Zokes aren't shabby. ;)

CTR

Chimp
Sep 1, 2002
Australia
Originally posted by ET_SoCal
I purchased a '02 Z1 from Supergo a few months ago & rode my friend's '03 Float Talas twice (so far), both are regular QR.
) I think any thru-axel fork will be stiffer, does Fox make this?
) The (air) Float is lighter & almost as plush as my Z1, and the adjustability is nice, but I realy wouldn't use it much myself.
It's the most plush air fork I've ever felt/rode on, but only have tried 10 or 15 different forks before so...
) The Fox feels more like a tight (almost race) XC fork, the Marz feels a bit more plusher, taking the small bumps better.
I'm not a big-hit "FreeRider", but most XC people I ride with would disagree on this.
) Turning the knobs on both forks takes a bit, although the Fox knobs were easier to turn while riding (slowly) they still took 10 full turns to "notice" the travil change, that take's a bit. The Marz ECC is quick, but only lock's down (the '03 ETC will not "lock" down, but reduce height and have 80mm of small bump travel).
) Working on your fork yourself:
I've heard Fox will viod warranty if you take it apart.
I've R&R my '00 Z2 a few times, it's too easy.
Haven't needed to RR my Z1 yet, but believe it will be another Marzocchi, easy to work on, fun to ride, and looks ChiChi!
your really comparing 2 different types of forks here the fox float talas is a air sprung trail/XC for while the Z.1 is a lot burlyer coil fork, you really wanna compare a vanilla to get an idea about the fox forks.

Aug 13, 2002
sandy beaches of O.C.
The Z1 does sit higher than the Fox Vanilla, I guess its the distance between the crown and the axle center that is a bit longer than the Fox, so will this slacken the head angle at all?

the fork will be going on a Joker frame, anyone have this set up here? Just wondering if it makes or will make the steering handle odd.

To be honest, the Z1 FR/MCR has been ignored recent years in favor of new, more flashy forks(Psylos, Shiver SC, Black, Sherman, Dorado SC, etc), but I still think the Z1 series is the undisputed single crown fork that defines the category. If you are serious about it, the weight souldn't be a deciding factor when the fork is such an important part of the bike. True, the Fox is great, it is stiff, and so on, but jus think how long Z1's have been around and how much it has improves. It's only that the 2002 Z1 fr had a very short bushing over lap that compromises the fore/aft stiffness, otherwise it would be my favorite single crown fork of all time. Only if the lower was the same structure as the Super-T..... One can only hope. i'm sure every other Z1 FR owner looked at the bottom of the lower tubes and goes, why the f**k is that hollow part on my fork?? I can't say any thing else bad about my Z1 FR. If it's good enough for the guy in BC, it should be good enough for the rest of us

Aug 13, 2002
sandy beaches of O.C.
Well I have been snoopin around some different bike shops asking questions getting some different feed back, today I was told that the springs in the 03 FR1's are to stiff and dont work that good, and to top it off, Marzocchi doesnt make different springs.

ET_SoCal

Monkey
Aug 10, 2001
C-Me Valley, CA
Originally posted by BlackhillsBob
... the springs in the 03 FR1's are to stiff ...
That would depend on your weight as what is too stiff.
Since I weigh 185, I'd welcome heavier springs.
There are aftermarket springs available, even a set that reduces the travil (& height) to 110mm.