Quantcast

Fox Vanilla RC Prob.

odiwik

Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Is it possible for the compression to die leaving the rebound just fine? I am experiencing no difference between full compression and no compression as far as the knob is concerned, but my rebound dampning is working beautifully...

I've heard about problems with Fox, but damn! I've only had this shock for about a month! Maybe it's avy time?

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Take the shock off the bike, remove the spring, compress the shock by hand, does it rebound? Move the adjuster to the other end of the spectrum and do the same, does it rebound? If it's not rebounding at all then its blown (or in need of charging) if it rebounds and you see a difference in the two ends of the adjustments then play with the compression adjuster, do you feel a difference between one end vs the other? if not call up Fox.

odiwik

Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Originally posted by odiwik
Is it possible for the compression to die leaving the rebound just fine? I am experiencing no difference between full compression and no compression as far as the knob is concerned, but my rebound dampning is working beautifully...
My rebound is working great, but my compression isn't noticeably different from one end of the spectrum to the other. I've never heard of this problem before. I've only heard of both not working or just rebound not working... In my case, only compression doesn't seem to adjust from max to min.

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
My guy at Fox says that on some high ratio bike they set them at the factory with little adjustment on the compression side to keep the public from "overtuning" the shock. If I where you I would send it in to get the pro pedal upgrade. It will cost you a little, but it's sooooo worth it.

odiwik

Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
I have been testing the shock off the bike with no spring, yes. The rebound is working fine, whereas the compression dampning is not working at all.

The compression was working fine about a week ago; it isn't working now.

If nobody knows I'm just going to send the shock in to push and get a rebuild for $50 after my whistler trip. I don't *need* the compression adjustments right now as my spring is a pretty good rate without any additional help. It's just annoying that my Fox shock has a failure. Maybe I'll still get an Avy.

The only thing I'm worried about is that I've never heard of or seen this problem before, so I don't know if a rebuild is going to do it any good and if I have to end up sending it to Fox, I'll just buy the avalanche!