Quantcast

Fox vs. Elka vs. Bos

Pat Tellier

Chimp
Sep 8, 2004
Montreal, QC, Canada
Pat - I was the most surprised by not feeling a transion between the high and low speed. I did'nt mess with any adjustments except I slowed rebound two clicks and went from jumping nose heavy to just right.
So you rode the shock exactly how I told Chris to set it?

When Chris first tried it, he was very off on the adjustments and said the shock was running like a DHX.

Next time, try to ride it with even more low-speed and less high-speed to exaggerate the effect, also try to feel if the transition is still smooth.

You can get very far with the valving I sent you guys...

ozzemale

Chimp
May 3, 2004
sydney
Most of the shocks out there be them Fox, Rock Shoxs, Bos, Elka and so on are all in most ways very similar. If your after something a little different technically speaking why not get your self a Double Barrel. Its the most original shock out there at the moment and arguably one of the best.
Wrong!MMMAAAnnnh!

Seriously man that is the worst generalization i've read in a while.
Comments like that add nothing.

I know for a fact that Bos shocks are very high up there and are in no way similar to vivids, or dhxs and pretty technically refined along with the double barrel.

Last edited:

Pat Tellier

Chimp
Sep 8, 2004
Montreal, QC, Canada
What ti-springs will fit the Elka? What inner diameter spring do you recommend?
We use springs with a 35mm min. ID and 55mm max. OD.

All the springs below will fit an Elka shock properly:
- Fox
- Marzocchi
- Manitou
- Cane Creek
- Diverse Suspension Products (DSP-Racing)
- Renton (RCS)
- Nuke Proof
- Stendec

The only ones confirmed not to fit are:
- RockShox (Vivid)
- Obtainium (outer diameter is too big)

flymybike

Monkey
Jan 7, 2004
Jackson Hole
I'm just curious about the comment from Lance regarding his Avalanche feeling "over damped". I'm a long time Avalanche user and just wanted to hear anything specific you can offer on that comment? Not saying you are wrong or anything like that, I'm genuinely interested in your feedback. Is it something you feel that could just be altered with a revalve or adjustment? Since the Avy is tuned to your riding and bike etc I'm surprised to hear you say it felt over damped.

Thanks for your time and one day I will buy a Jedi if it kills me! lol
I rode for Avalanche back 2001 - 2003 (before I started designing for White Brothers/MRP) and rode alot of the early stuff. Craig was resistant to open up the valving for me. The front fork I never got full travel, ever. The rear was heavily damped and at the time our bikes were over leveraged so it worked out well. Now our bikes have highly tuned progression rates and don't rely as much on damping to control compression. Chris and I both like a really fast setup and I haven't been able to get a Avalanche as fast as I like in the current adjustment range. I'm sure he could change the valving to get it to do what I want but I'm over it. Pat has been able to get me EXACTLY what I was looking for, first try. Very exciting way to start the season.

Pat - I rode it with your recomended settings. Half way down the first run I slowed rebound 2 clicks. That's the only adjustment I made. If I run it with "even more low-speed and less high-speed to exaggerate the effect" will that keep the normal rebound fast and get the high speed rebound to kick in harder? Sorry, Confused. I'd like to beable to feel the high speed rebound kicking in too hard so I can back it off until I don't notice it. I normally set my rebound that way, so fast that the wheel hops and then slow it down until the hop barely stops. I see it like low speed rebound should provide very little resistance and the high speed should give alot of control only on extreme hits.

Last edited:

Avy Rider

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Muskoka,Canada
Thanks for the feedback Lance. I greatly respect your opinions and your riding segments on the Thor Wixom videos were always my favorites.

Regarding you not getting full travel out of your Avalanche forks I would think that lowering the oil levels would have taken care of that for you. Then your mid valving might be too soft so it might have only been a band aid fix for getting full travel without the right valving.

It's funny because seeing you riding so well with Avalanche suspension was one of the biggest reasons I started using it! I have loved both my shock and forks.

Last edited:

dh gangster

Monkey
Jul 31, 2006
P en Doubleyou
Lance- you would recommend the Elka of the three at this moment?
After all, it is going on a bike you created i would think you could tell me best what would work.

flymybike

Monkey
Jan 7, 2004
Jackson Hole
Lance- you would recommend the Elka of the three at this moment?
After all, it is going on a bike you created i would think you could tell me best what would work.
I would say get the Fox, I've had a ton of time on them and they work flawlessly. However if you need the latest and greatest, both the Bos and Elka have alot of hype. I don't think the high/low speed rebound in the Elka shock is available yet. That is what has me so fired up about the Elka. As soon as you can get that and there has been more time on it, I think the Elka is going to be hard to beat.

Avy Rider - I loved my Avy stuff, was the best at the time. I had Craig do all the work on my shocks so I never really tore into them. I'm sure it could have been setup better but Craig said that the last bit of travel was there for when I really needed it. I never got full travel and I wanted and needed it all the time. Craig makes a good product and there are alot of bikes that benefit from them but my bikes, not so much.

jutny

Monkey
Jan 15, 2009
Montclair, NJ
I think I'm going with the Bos on my 09 Jedi... just to be different, why not? I talked to Chris about it he said he'd see what he could do. Wouldn't mind the Elka either if the Bos doesn't work out.

any updates on the status of the 09 Jedis?

flymybike

Monkey
Jan 7, 2004
Jackson Hole
I think I'm going with the Bos on my 09 Jedi... just to be different, why not? I talked to Chris about it he said he'd see what he could do. Wouldn't mind the Elka either if the Bos doesn't work out.

any updates on the status of the 09 Jedis?
The Jedi's are assembled and should be going in boxes today. It usually takes 3 to 4 weeks to get them in the states. There on the way and we'll be shipping as soon as we see them. The bike show just wacks the schedule, they should have gone before but there moving now.

jutny

Monkey
Jan 15, 2009
Montclair, NJ
The Jedi's are assembled and should be going in boxes today. It usually takes 3 to 4 weeks to get them in the states. There on the way and we'll be shipping as soon as we see them. The bike show just wacks the schedule, they should have gone before but there moving now.
*does a little dance* :clapping:

cool! Thanks for the update.

cableguy

Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
Southern California
Looks like Fox is going to release new DHX RC4 during Sea Otter. It comes in 8.75" x 2.75" along with other sizes. SickLines has the 2010 catalog on its website. I asked Chris to see if he can test it on the Jedi along with Bos and Elka.

PS Looks like SickLines took down the catalog. But I still have the page w/ the RC4 info. It is suppose to replace DHX 5.0.

Last edited:

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
so they are shipping from you guys in utah now or are they 3-4 weeks out from where ever they are being built?

edit: i guess they are 3-4 weeks out as of now. bummer.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Argh! I reaaallllllllyyyyyy wanted mine before sea mammal and now that might be a bit of a stretch
Why on earth do you need a new jedi for Sea otter. That place is ideal for little bikes!

That said, the jedi is pretty awesome, and training lance through the sea otter course was one of the highlights of my riding! And the diggle he was riding in action was pretty legit :)

dh gangster

Monkey
Jul 31, 2006
P en Doubleyou
Well i would have a choice between my hardtail and my m3, I dont have any little bike! Besides the recent trend has definitely been leaning more towards DH bikes at Sea Otter than all mountain or freeride bikes, the braking bumps get deeper every year.

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Well i would have a choice between my hardtail and my m3, I dont have any little bike! Besides the recent trend has definitely been leaning more towards DH bikes at Sea Otter than all mountain or freeride bikes, the breaking bumps get deeper every year.
Well, I was just drunkenoly teasing you, to each their own. Anyway, back OT!