Quantcast

FR frames?

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
A... S... mother****in' X

that's all I have to say.

Set up with a fox at 5 inches in the front and at 6 in the rear that thing was so nimble. I abosolutely pimp-slapped trails on it.

I'm gonna get me one for a rehab mobile.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
SirChomps-a-Lot said:
A... S... mother****in' X

that's all I have to say.

Set up with a fox at 5 inches in the front and at 6 in the rear that thing was so nimble. I abosolutely pimp-slapped trails on it.

I'm gonna get me one for a rehab mobile.
Werd. Pimp slapped like a ho who wasn't paying her pimp, AS to the X.

cali4niabiker

Monkey
Jun 29, 2004
ATLANTA, GA
bmorekirby said:
I'm looking for fr frame. thinking around 6-7" travel. i have $1800 to spend on the frame.
What kind of freeriding is on your mind? I believe there are two types of freeriding: hardcore (close to the line of northshore/DHing, 7+' drops, bombing down ski lifts) or light (technical trails here and there, a few 4' drops, some urban hucking).

Hardcore (look for overbuilt frames) = Banshee Scream, Kona (Stinky, Stinky Primo, Stinky9), SC Bullit/VP-free, Ells Dare, Specialized Big Hit, to name a few.

Light = Banshee Chaparral, Giant AC, SC Bullit (very versative IMO), Big Hit (also good choice), to name a few... there are many frames out there that may be tailored to your choice.

bmorekirby

Chimp
Jul 25, 2004
cali4niabiker said:
What kind of freeriding is on your mind? I believe there are two types of freeriding: hardcore (close to the line of northshore/DHing, 7+' drops, bombing down ski lifts) or light (technical trails here and there, a few 4' drops, some urban hucking).
it will just be a fun bike for urban, and freeriding. It just needs to be able to take a beating, because i am not very smooth. I was thinking of the banshee scream, or yeti asx?

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
between the banshee and the ASX, here is my advice...

the banshee is a bike you grow out of, the yeti is a bike you grow into.

The banshee might feel more natural to a beginner, but I would go out on a limb and say that the faster a rider is, the more he will prefer the ASX to the banshee.

That's with the yeti set up at 5/6 btw... set up at 6/7 it will feel different (taller mostly... I'm a big fan of looow)

The banshee will take more abuse, but the yeti will take everything you could possibly dish out... unless you're a fat bastard (250+) In which case, I appologise for calling you fat.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
cali4niabiker said:
Light = Banshee Chaparral, .

10.75lbs (with coil shock) is not light, not to mention it's only 6" of travel.

I was close to ordering a yeti, and even though the company lied to me, it seems like a great frame and from the riding point of view, I wouldn't mind running it. Banshee is overbuilt instead of over-engineered. This is what they rely on, and this is why the chap is 10.75lb and the scream is 14lb. The Yeti is about 9.5lb.

Burnwood

Chimp
Nov 10, 2002
Victoria, BC
Jm_ said:
the scream is 14lb.
Sometime you should pick up a 2004 Scream and see just how much that sucker weighs. They added quite a bit of beef this year and thus, I wouldn't be suprised to see it in the 15 - 16lbs range...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Burnwood said:
Sometime you should pick up a 2004 Scream and see just how much that sucker weighs. They added quite a bit of beef this year and thus, I wouldn't be suprised to see it in the 15 - 16lbs range...

underengineered, overbuilt...

Guess?Who

Monkey
Nov 21, 2003
S.I.N.Y
BMXman said:
I would go for the Nicolai Helius St myself w/ a 1.5 headtube and a Romic;)
That's what I was going to suggest, so that's two votes for a Helius. If you have that much $$$ to spend on a frame you should definitly get a Nicolai. Trust me, You won't be sorry.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
Jm_ said:
underengineered, overbuilt...
Sometimes it seems like banshee has some smart engineers... working in marketing.

Seems like every grom that wanders in here is axing about "banshee vs. turner" or "banshee vs. giant" or "banshee vs. ditka"

We all scoff at them, but I betcha they are doing ok financially.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
SirChomps-a-Lot said:
Sometimes it seems like banshee has some smart engineers... working in marketing.
I think that's a great line, not just in reference to banshee, but many many other companies (one that starts with R)

Guess?Who

Monkey
Nov 21, 2003
S.I.N.Y
TWISTED said:
I agree, buy this bike. new Bullit with Shiver $1800. By looking at the photos it seems the bike was never ridden, hard at least.
A Bullit is ok but not the best for freeriding especially set up with a Shiver. That looks like a DH bike to me. If the bike is used for urban freeride I would stick with a SC fork. My friend just got the ASX and he uses it for trail riding and even downhill. I like the fact that it comes with a 1.5 headtube for the Breakout or the Plus. Go for an 04 because I heard that the earlier models were cracking by the shock pivots. With that said you should get a Helius.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
Guess?Who said:
A Bullit is ok but not the best for freeriding especially set up with a Shiver. That looks like a DH bike to me. If the bike is used for urban freeride I would stick with a SC fork. My friend just got the ASX and he uses it for trail riding and even downhill. I like the fact that it comes with a 1.5 headtube for the Breakout or the Plus. Go for an 04 because I heard that the earlier models were cracking by the shock pivots. With that said you should get a Helius.
Bullit not the best for freeriding? You're kidding right?
For $1800 that complete bike looks hard to beat. He could sell the Shiver for $600 and buy a big single crown.
The Yeti ASX seems pretty similiar to the Bullit to me. A one point five headtube is no big deal.

Guess?Who

Monkey
Nov 21, 2003
S.I.N.Y
TWISTED said:
Bullit not the best for freeriding? You're kidding right?
For $1800 that complete bike looks hard to beat. He could sell the Shiver for $600 and buy a big single crown.
The Yeti ASX seems pretty similiar to the Bullit to me. A one point five headtube is no big deal.
You must be a Bullit owner, sorry for insulting you but why buy a DH bike then worry about selling parts to make it a freeride bike. That Shiver fork alone weights about 9 lbs. what kind of urban bike is that? I reccommend something with a 1.5 because if you ever decide to run a 7" fork you can do it under 6 lbs. I had a Bullit for a while it is a great freeride bike but sucks as a trail bike especially set up like that. If someone has $1800 to spend on a frame there are better choices. That's all.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Oh goodness... the RM site is messed up, and it somehow didn't accept my post. So you'll have to trust me without me outlining the reasons again since I just typed for a half an hour.
  • Get something with a 5th Element or Swinger 4-Way or pref. 6-Way.
  • Get something with more than 6" of travel, but if you're pedaling, the minimum can't be 8" as that's too much.
  • Bullit's and ASX's are nearly identical.
  • Nicolai's are cool
  • Don't get a Kona or a Norco (see item 1)
  • Iron Horse linkages are low quality, require more maintenance, and risk failure.
  • Dirtbag's are sweet, especially for the price (insanity), but Romic's are mediocre
  • AC's are cool, but are not as durable as aforementioned frames.
  • Screw 1.5 - it's not necessary (or rather, there are perfectly good substitutes for a Breakout+ that don't require it), so don't buy a frame based solely on that. There are more than enough forks out there for anyone's purposes that are 1.125"
  • I think that's it, PM me with any questions

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
erikkellison said:
[*]Bullit's and ASX's are nearly identical.
if you think a flexy bike and a really stiff bike are identical....

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
nearly the same wheel path and nearly the same geometry but not identical, an AS-X is a lot more progressive and has slightly less pedal feedback.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
SirChomps-a-Lot said:
From http://bansheebikes.com/
This may be the first bike that has been designed exclusively using advanced finite element analysis (FEA) and dynamic simulation testing (DST). Our engineering calculations have considered both fatigue cycles and maximum overload conditions. These frames are so stiff and strong it will blow your mind. Stiff = strength and rideability. Go ahead and crash, Banshee frames are, for decencies sake, built stronger than human flesh. Go ahead and ride, there's no more flex-induced vagueness, so you can concentrate on the task at hand, feel the wheels track and clean the section. Although they're heavy, these bikes still pedal really efficiently. The stiffness helps propel you through almost any terrain.

This was just the website blurb, but if you actually talked with Pip about his designs, I bet you'd have to steady yourself to keep from falling over from the headspin. The guy knows his she-ot, despite what your post implies.

SirChomps-a-Lot said:
Seems like every grom that wanders in here is axing about "banshee vs. turner" or "banshee vs. giant" or "banshee vs. ditka"
I see. Only newbies, posers or pimply NSMBers ride Banshees. Of course there's Bender, but afterall, he sucks and can't stick a landing, right? :rolleyes:

SirChomps-a-Lot said:
We all scoff at them, but I betcha they are doing ok financially.
Was that the royal "we" or were you simply representing all headbadge elitists who care more about popularity than performance. I personally scoff at bike snobs who take their buying decisions like John Kerry takes a stand on issues- after first licking a finger and sticking it up into the air.

Sincerely, a 250+# fat bastard who would much rather ride his unpopular Chaparral with Vanilla RC and "overbuilt" headtube than a blingy ASX with suck-ass unreliable 5thE and annoying 1.5 w/reducers. Don't get me wrong- I think the ASX is a great bike for the money and I considered it extensively, but when it came time to spend my money, I couldn't justify buying a frame that limited me to a shock that I have seen exploded at least once by every single person I know that owns one.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
llkoolkeg said:
Sincerely, a 250+# fat bastard who would much rather ride his unpopular Chaparral with Vanilla RC and "overbuilt" headtube than a blingy ASX with suck-ass unreliable 5thE and annoying 1.5 w/reducers. Don't get me wrong- I think the ASX is a great bike for the money and I considered it extensively, but when it came time to spend my money, I couldn't justify buying a frame that limited me to a shock that I have seen exploded at least once by every single person I know that owns one.
Oh yeah, and a 250lb guy on a romic with a 3:1 leverage ratio is such a great idea. 800-900lb....yeah, I'm sure it will never blow (like the other romics do)....not even that great of an idea with a Fox. It's not a super-high leverage ratio, but with a 250lb guy and a romic...lol...

Before you go pouting about 5th elements, take a look at the romics on the bikes on the banshee website...talk about unreliable....

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Jm_ said:
Oh yeah, and a 250lb guy on a romic with a 3:1 leverage ratio is such a great idea. 800-900lb....yeah, I'm sure it will never blow (like the other romics do)....not even that great of an idea with a Fox. It's not a super-high leverage ratio, but with a 250lb guy and a romic...lol...

Before you go pouting about 5th elements, take a look at the romics on the bikes on the banshee website...talk about unreliable....
Who said anything about a Romic? The Ellsworth guys tried to sell me on those years ago and I replied with a polite "no thanks, I'll just take the cheapo Fox". I have never had any problem or done any maintenance on a Fox shock EVER, be it a Vanilla R or RC. I spring mine properly, though, and don't try to cheat by running too soft a spring then overcompensate with comp damp- a sure way to jettison your blue knob. I run a 3:1 ratio on my Banshees with no problems whatsoever(again, with zero maintenance) on both the '02 Scream or '04 Chaparral.

And who was pouting about 5thE's? Not me, 'cause I'd never own one. Lots of people I know, though, who can't seem to keep the seals on theirs. Just because Banshee makes the Romic available as an option to their customers, you bash them? What the hell is wrong with giving your customers options? If I had options with Yeti or Santa Cruz besides the guts-puking 5thE, I might have very well bought one! You can choose a Fox, a 5thE or a Romic w/Banshee and run it in a leverage ratio/travel/headangle setting that feels right to you, the customer.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
Guess?Who said:
You must be a Bullit owner, sorry for insulting you but why buy a DH bike then worry about selling parts to make it a freeride bike. That Shiver fork alone weights about 9 lbs. what kind of urban bike is that? I reccommend something with a 1.5 because if you ever decide to run a 7" fork you can do it under 6 lbs. I had a Bullit for a while it is a great freeride bike but sucks as a trail bike especially set up like that. If someone has $1800 to spend on a frame there are better choices. That's all.
No, I don't own a Bullit. The Bullit is a freeride bike with 6 or 7 inches of travel and steeper geometry, not a DH bike. My 13 lb monsterT doesn't stop me from doing stair gaps. The Shiver could easily be swapped for a 6" or 7" 1 1/8" single crown from Manitou or Marzocchi at no cost. Do I have to post pictures of Rocker Dave doing huge urban wall rides on his Bullit? I did not post the ad for the Bullit and don't know the person who did, but if you're going to spend $1800 on a frame, this whole bike looks like something to consider. That is unless the buyer already has all the parts to put a bike together except a frame, a bottomless wallet, or he is looking for the ultimate bling bling new fancy cool bike with the new cutting edge bells and whistles that will make him the envy of everyone at the cofee shop. :thumb: