Quantcast

Frame for a 6'1" rider (185cm)

Agassichan

Chimp
Sep 25, 2009
Hi all!

I'm trying to change my Qbike Empire Frame for this DH season and this summer holidays.

Sometime ago, I've decided to go for a Glory 2010, but two friends bought M and L frames and I've found the L to be too long, and the M to be too short. (if there was an intermediate frame, I won't be here asking for)

Maybe the L giant with a 28mm stem will do the trick, but I don't like how the bike feels with that stems.

Here we go. What other frame can I go for? I really need a frame that helps me in the more closed and technical corners, as long as I feel confortable with fast tracks and rock gardens. A bit of pedaling efficiency would help, I don't like pedaling, and the little I do, I would like to make it count.

I've been looking for a 951 and a M6 frames geo's but I can't decide between M and L sizes. Any tall rider to give me some advise?

Reading through the forum, Yeti 303R came up. Any advise on this bike sizing also?

Any other frame advise?

Many thanks!

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
The Giant Glory makes a HUGE leap in size between the M and L. This question has come up before, and at 6'1" you are on the border between the two sizes. I think if the M Glory was to small, then most other M frames are likely to feel that way as well. The L of other models is generally not a big as the Glory (which has a 25.3" effective TT - at least the 09 did, and is one of the few bikes that fits me at 6'6").

I think a L with a short stem would be about right.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I'm the same height and ride a medium Demo. It feels perfect. Demo's are quite a bit longer in the wheelbase then the Glory, and a little longer in the top tube.........I think.

Gex

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2004
Seattle
I'm 6'1 170lbs and ride a medium demo. It feels prefect for me. It is longer then the medium Glory. I went through the same debate and chose the demo because it just felt more comfortable for me.

Tude86

Chimp
Feb 27, 2009
Finland
I'm riding a medium session 88 dh and I'm 186cm. No complaints :) Of course it's how people like to ride..

Size L Trek goes between M and L sized Giant if we'r speaking of effective TT.

Just for an example.

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
Don't forget that sliding the seat forward and backward will really affect how large the bike feels. The height of the seat (especially on bikes with slack seat tubes) can change the cockpit size. You can also angle the seat back a few degrees which will make the cockpit feel bigger as well.

-KT

Curler

Chimp
Dec 6, 2007
Seattle, WA
Don't forget that sliding the seat forward and backward will really affect how large the bike feels. The height of the seat (especially on bikes with slack seat tubes) can change the cockpit size. You can also angle the seat back a few degrees which will make the cockpit feel bigger as well.

-KT
Cuz i do alot of sitting on my downhill bike??:confused:

Agassichan

Chimp
Sep 25, 2009

-KT
I won't agree on this!!

The "real" size of the bike is a relation between wheelbase, chainstay, BB height and head angle.

The top tube measurement it's just for people that wants to pedal while sitting!!! We need to ride a confortable bike when we're standing!

I like to rike my bike with the top side of the handlebar at 111cm (43,7") from the floor, just like Carlos Saiz (spanish racer) told me some day to do (and I improved impressively).

So, for me, head angles are very important. Similar wheelbase-chainstay bikes, but steeper (like glory-L vs 951-M) becomes to a longer cockpit!

I can run L bikes, there's no doubt about, but I would like to run M sizes, so my question becomes to:

Which are the "larger" M-frames? (I hope Intense M6 or 951, because now there are my best options...)