Quantcast

Frames, and spray paint.

HTFR

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Chelsea, Quebek
I’m considering painting my frame white, just for kicks, is it aright to just paint over it? (It does not have a gloss coat) if not how can one strip the paint cost effectively and safely for myself and the alu underneath.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
just fine sand the existing finish, wipe off the frame really well, paint.

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
It won't be as nice as a profesionally done job, that's for sure. My friend did it to his P1, and it actually looks great from far away. Up close you can see all the little negative spots. But hey, it's alot cheaper.

We sanded the frame down, then put a bunch of coats on.. then finished up the job with clear coat. I'll post some pics later.

Nevermind, found them online! I don't think he was totally finished here though.

http://www.msdhw.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1512&stc=1
http://www.msdhw.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1513&stc=1

NastySid

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
Sweden
Why paint it? just looks "freshly stolen" :/

If you ask some painter at some spray place he'll brobably do it for cheap as a "hobby project" :D

Grimey

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
cali
Sand it semi-rough(don't know the grit), paint it, find sand, paint, fine sand, repeat. Maybe hit it up with some clear.

The trick is very very thing coats, and to let it dry properly.

cup_o_dirt

Chimp
Oct 31, 2004
if you never have really messed with painting or nething practice on something non important to you first (old frame or somethng out of the trash) a good technique is to 'sweap' back and forth letting go of the nozzle at the end of each 'stroke'. if you see and runs of paint after you clear it let it all dry and take some say, 1000 grit sand paper or the finest you can find and a bucket of water and wet the sand paper and just wet sand it, itll remove all of the orange peel look to the frame. just keep in mind that you dont sand threw, it wont be that bad because its not a very expensive paint or hard to touch up. have fun and good luck, dont inhale too manuy fumes..

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I used to know a site that had detailed instructions on at home frame stripping/painting, but Firefox ate all of my bookmarks one day...

Send it to me, give me 60 bucks and I can take it to this place to have it powdercoated black :D