Quantcast

Frameworks DH frames are happening

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
The thing looks pretty sick. @buckoW seems like a shorter shock, rocker, or longer could alter the bike's travel and GEO for not too much money. I assume it would mess with leverage ratios a bit and other negatives?

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Not what I expected with pricing. :eek:
Me either, and I have no real opinion on what it "should" cost, but I'm sure they'll easily sell the 100 that are planned. From what Neko has said, frame sales are a necessary part of sustaining this project so I'm sure that this is what they need to charge for it to make sense.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
$4k without shock, plus hopes and prayers that there will be a company to deal with any warranty issues or spare parts needs that might arise. That's a tough sell.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
$4k without shock, plus hopes and prayers that there will be a company to deal with any warranty issues or spare parts needs that might arise. That's a tough sell.
Ooof. Hadn’t realised it was without shock.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i'll say it. price is way too high. you're getting a good, thought-out frame but paying a premium for paying for the cool factor and for supporting neko. if you want to do that, good on you. i think it's cool he's giving it a shot.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Kavenz, who did a similar development process, just w/o a high-profiled rider like Neko, and produce their frames in Germany charge approx. 2950 USD (VAT included) for a frame w/o shock.

shelteringsky

Monkey
May 21, 2010
Kavenz, who did a similar development process, just w/o a high-profiled rider like Neko, and produce their frames in Germany charge approx. 2950 USD (VAT included) for a frame w/o shock.
Neko isn't even that high a profiled rider anymore. How many times did he qualify in the WC this year? Kinda feel for the guy. Jumped off Intense just when it seems like they got their frame sorted and Dak getting results.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Have you seen what a brooklyn machine works goes for these days? Probably 4-5k for a frame alone, from a company that is long dead, on frames that are known to break in two locations, that aren't really any good to ride.

I'm confident all of these will sell and 50% will end up on a wall without being ridden

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Neko isn't even that high a profiled rider anymore. How many times did he qualify in the WC this year? Kinda feel for the guy. Jumped off Intense just when it seems like they got their frame sorted and Dak getting results.
Neko is high profile, you just don't hear from him or about him much.

There's a reason why the riders wanted him to represent their union thing in front of the UCI.

Also don't forget, the guy broke his pelvis at the start of the season, so he sat on the sidelines for a while.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
$4k is a fine price. Gives the boys room to continue working with national cat 1 kids at the same price they have been selling bikes at already(a scooch over manufactured cost), and have a retail tier for old men that complain that $4k is too much.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
I don't know, Neko is rad and he is doing "gods work" for the DH in the UsA, but that seems like a tough sell at this point in time.

Maybe now that Yeti is entering the DH scene again the dentist market will shift from Enduro to DH.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Neko has maintained visibility with his video series, which goes into details that few others are putting out right now.

there have been known issues with intense other than just "getting their frame sorted" which have been on going since he left. not having bikes ready with enough time to train on them before race season. let's not forget the rumors that dak is looking to leave intense for '24

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I was thinking waaaay lower.

Transition TR11 $2000
Specialized Demo $3000
Airdrop Slacker $2000

All with shocks included.
all made in ASPAC. all with higher production volumes.

yes, $4k is a lot of money for a frame. this run is only 100 frames, and they are being welded in the US by Frank (at least the front half of the bike is).

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Neko has maintained visibility with his video series, which goes into details that few others are putting out right now.

there have been known issues with intense other than just "getting their frame sorted" which have been on going since he left. not having bikes ready with enough time to train on them before race season. let's not forget the rumors that dak is looking to leave intense for '24
Not to pile on or derail the thread, but I listened to a podcast with Jack Moir recently and he said the Intense team had awful components. :rofl:

shelteringsky

Monkey
May 21, 2010
Not to pile on or derail the thread, but I listened to a podcast with Jack Moir recently and he said the Intense team had awful components. :rofl:
I get it. The tires mostly, yeah? Still, didn't seem to be holding him too far back this season.

Neko is undoubtedly a great ambassador for the sport and a nice guy. That'll get you a like and a subscribe on a Youtube channel but $4k for a frame w/o a shock... Put it this way, how many Ironhorses would've sold back in the day if it weren't for a bunch of fast Aussies?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I get it. The tires mostly, yeah? Still, didn't seem to be holding him too far back this season.

Neko is undoubtedly a great ambassador for the sport and a nice guy. That'll get you a like and a subscribe on a Youtube channel but $4k for a frame w/o a shock... Put it this way, how many Ironhorses would've sold back in the day if it weren't for a bunch of fast Aussies?
Don't forget all the ethirteen stuff. John Hall was also interviewed on a podcast and brought up the broken cranks again, saying it was the manufacturers problem.

Moir left that team, after everything changed with it got switched over to the Gwin stuff.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
not an apples to oranges comparison.
Literally-
Half of the bikes at any East Coast dh race in 2005-6 were Ironhorses(welded in one of two places in Portland Oregon, or in Taiwan). The other half were Sinisters, or 11 year old Richie Rude on a Demo9.

Just like now, afaik, everyone “got a deal”.
DH isn’t a “real” market segment, never has been.
Correct $4000 is a lot of money, but inflationarily speaking, these frames end up being about the same price as when there were way more domestically produced options for people to “bro deal”