Franken-69'er

Franken-69'er: Am I on crack

• Start with a built/intended 69'er like the Trek

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SVPPB

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Lately I have been really wanting a 69'er. I like the idea of the 29" up front, with a durable 26" in the rear. It really appeals to me.

Then I remembered the idea of the Specialized Epic. I have seen a bunch of them around lately as frames, and I could build it up right.

Here's my questions:
1. Do you think the geometry would be so far off this bike would no longer be fun to ride if I went to a 29"? I was thinking the Fox 32 F29.
2. Any way to run this bike as a single speed aside from using a SS tension device?

I think this is a hell of an idea, and if it worked I'd build one up for my wife too. I think she'd dig it.

sportcult

Chimp
Nov 15, 2007
I think 96ers are really fun to ride, however a full suss one is a little harder to cobble together than a rigid one.
You would need to use either a 80mm Fox or White Brothers IMV since they have the shortest axle to crown (~480mm) and larger offset to keep the bike from getting too slow steering. I think the Epic is speced for a 470mm fork. The difference in axle height between the 29 and 26 wheel is about 32mm so you're left with raising the front end by around an inch (~20mm) depending on tire choice and shock sag. That's not too bad, only a degree slacker which you might like if you're used to a DH bike.
In the spring when there are more choices, you can stuff a 650b wheel in the back and it will rip!
A friend of mine rides a single speed Epic, you have to use a spring type tensioner since the chain length changes through the travel. I don't remember which one he used but it works well and looks clean.
Lastly, go used so you can afford to experiment more...

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I would look for a 2002-2004 Era Enduro frame and pair that up with an 80mm 29er fork.

Something like this for example:

I also experimented with a Schwinn Rocket 88 and it worked well in my opinion. I think the low stack ICBM headset helped to keep the front end down a bit and therefore the steering wasn't overly floppy.

regarding sportcult's idea of putting a 650b in back - might be a tight fit, but there is a guy experimenting with FS frames and what will fit and what won't fit over at www.650bpalace.blogspot.com (I think that's the link).

sportcult

Chimp
Nov 15, 2007
:lighten: Better yet, how about a sweet white Santa Cruz Blur with a white Fox 29er f...

I can hook ya up...:brows: