Quantcast

Frankenbike in the making....

Honus

Monkey
Jun 6, 2006
Boulder, CO
Take an old Buell rear end, add one RockShox pull shock and some steel tubing, shake well and you get something like this. My wife immediately named it Bikezilla. :) I still need to weld on the shock mounts and the pivot support tube. Total cost so far-$0.00 and that's probably a good thing. All I need now is a cheap long travel fork!

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
where are you going to bo rideing this thing?, looks like a killer all-mountain machine

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
look for a old sherman, or a new stance, maybe a used Jr T (when i say new stance, I mean one that isn't blowing up inside and out)

kahner89

Monkey
May 25, 2006
spokanistan
ya i can't wait to see you ridin' on the mountain. i would be like holy **** there goes that guy with his home-made bike.. someday i will join you but not for awhile buddy

LaharDesign

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
good work.
pullshocks are theoretically better but good luck with the RS.
I'd weld a bracing tube from the mainpivot to the downtube to deal with twist on your seattube.

Honus

Monkey
Jun 6, 2006
Boulder, CO
CKxx said:
It looks like a horse...with a boner.
Now that's funniest thing I've heard all day. There will be a bracing tube added that connects the pivot to the downtube where the shock mount plates will be attached. I was figuring on using something like a Jr.T as this will be an all mountain bike (I do have another really simple design for a great pure downhill machine.) The chain growth is pretty minimal at maximum compression and it should be pretty stiff torsionally.

I have heard of the pull shocks self destructing in the past but I've had it sitting in a box in the garage so I figured what the heck... If I wanted to go all out with the strange factor I would have kept my old Onza Ti cranks to put on it.

Honus

Monkey
Jun 6, 2006
Boulder, CO
Remember the RockShox LTD? The shock is basically in the same location but the similarities end there. I actually got to ride one of those bikes around for a bit. The problem with the bike, if I remember correctly, was that the linkage plates kept self destructing.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
and put a roller at the high pivot too or your chain pull will be
unbearable.

Honus

Monkey
Jun 6, 2006
Boulder, CO
You think? I had considered lengthening the BB link. As it is now, the effective chainstay length changes from 15.75" to 17"- any advice you have will be greatly appreciated.

p.s.- done any rally racing lately? I missed out on Pikes Peak this year- bummer.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Honus said:
You think? I had considered lengthening the BB link. As it is now, the effective chainstay length changes from 15.75" to 17"- any advice you have will be greatly appreciated.

p.s.- done any rally racing lately? I missed out on Pikes Peak this year- bummer.
whats your bb at?

where could you put the pulley.
line of site it to see if it clears
right on the main pivot.

how tall is your girl?

i fig i can rally race when i'm 40-50 and have loads of
cash to spend on it too! my car if half done or so.
i watch 100aw this year. and would like ot get to COG.

alex

Honus

Monkey
Jun 6, 2006
Boulder, CO
The specs are:
14.5" BB height
67 degree head
17" seat tube c-top
23" top tube c-c
main pivot is 7" from center of BB shell
rear travel is just over 7"

Rally race when I'm 40- heck that's next year! I'd better get on the ball as I just turned 39 two days ago....... as it is now I have to make my own car parts or work trades because I'm too poor and/or cheap to buy over the counter stuff. :) I actually work on my friends' racecars more than my own car.....

Jerome

Honus

Monkey
Jun 6, 2006
Boulder, CO
Well this project is officially dead, primarily due to lack of funds to buy parts like 7" travel forks, disc brakes, etc. Gotta save money as I have another baby on the way!
I did have enough parts to slap together a single speed so it's being reborn as a suspension single speed so I'll post progress over there.