Quantcast

Freakin Whistler

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Well Im not bored anymore, now Im going home early. And people wonder why I stay in the military.
I go home early often and my job has never been a threat to my health or wellbeing. So I still question why you would stay in the military.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
thats all You've Broken!! I opened this thread with the expectation that you were posting this from a wheelchair.

and you don't carry spare hangers ?
No... I normally would.. but for some reason, I forgot. Nobody in Whistler has even heard of Ventana, hardly.

I did tear off most of the skin on my left forearm and my leg is pretty rough looking. Besides that, I'm good.

Jul 19, 2002
Vancouver Washington
I will hook you up on Sat at 7:00pm so you can ride the rest of your stay at whistler. Spoke to you at the end of the day today. I do have one and it is brand new. They are 19.50 from ventana so I think that 30 dollars is fair.
So where did you crash and how? Your arm looked pretty bandaged up.

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
I dunno, I'm torn on this one. In one hand, we have an opportunist here and there is an opportunity to make a small profit. If the roles were reversed and Thruster had 100 of 'em, Seliger would likely lowball to get it on the cheap (I know I would). So I don't necessarily disagree with asking for a few extra bucks.

BUT...they are both monkeys, and we should show some compassion to our fallen soldiers.

I say, $20 plus a picture of your sister.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I once rode past some guys stranded on Mammoth in a pretty bad spot to have a flat (the middle of Upper Skidmarks). So, what do I do? Give them a tube and lend them tools, no charge. Why? Because I know in the same situation I would definitely appreciate the same help, and a little profit is less important than making someone happy and more importantly able to ride.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I once rode past some guys stranded on Mammoth in a pretty bad spot to have a flat (the middle of Upper Skidmarks). So, what do I do? Give them a tube and lend them tools, no charge. Why? Because I know in the same situation I would definitely appreciate the same help, and a little profit is less important than making someone happy and more importantly able to ride.
YOu would not do that in Whistler where DH tubes are $30..

Always Always Always bring spares to that place.....whistler mark-up on top of Canadian prices = $110 tires YEA!!!!!

Oh BTW the rear mech hanger on you cuervo looks a LOT like an 06' Turner DHR hanger...and I know you can find one of those up there.

oh yea, have fun!!

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
I will hook you up on Sat at 7:00pm so you can ride the rest of your stay at whistler. Spoke to you at the end of the day today. I do have one and it is brand new. They are 19.50 from ventana so I think that 30 dollars is fair.
So where did you crash and how? Your arm looked pretty bandaged up.

I really appriciate it man... I was willing to pay alot of money for it since the money I was willing to pay would still be cheaper than one day of rentals.

You are truely my new best friend.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
I crashed on the biker-x course. I got it pinned. But, my first few times I was trying to judge speed. I hit the road gap and pinned it with no brake check into the man-sized step-up and overshot to flat. Nearly 15-20 feet to flat.

I broke my hanger on Whistler downhill during sweeps. The steep right hand turn rock face. I slid into a log at the bottom, bailed, and my bike toumbled onto a rock and bent everything up.

splat

Nam I am
$30 sound fair to me . Broken down on the side ofthe trail is one thing. ther eisa price on stupidity , and not being prepared , and I think this falls into that category. If he could finda shop in the area that carries them, how much do you think they would charge ? plus as loco said , I'm sure he had to pay shipping and now he is with out one.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
YOu would not do that in Whistler where DH tubes are $30..

Always Always Always bring spares to that place.....whistler mark-up on top of Canadian prices = $110 tires YEA!!!!!

Oh BTW the rear mech hanger on you cuervo looks a LOT like an 06' Turner DHR hanger...and I know you can find one of those up there.

oh yea, have fun!!
Err, that's exactly what race tires cost up here in any shop. No markup there.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
I crashed on the biker-x course. I got it pinned. But, my first few times I was trying to judge speed. I hit the road gap and pinned it with no brake check into the man-sized step-up and overshot to flat. Nearly 15-20 feet to flat.

I broke my hanger on Whistler downhill during sweeps. The steep right hand turn rock face. I slid into a log at the bottom, bailed, and my bike toumbled onto a rock and bent everything up.
yep...that's my favorite part of that trail right there....did the same thing last year....damn you upper whistler dh!!!:poster_oops:

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
Derailleur hangers are pretty much the lamest thing to break. Ever.

I carried spares for my Transition Dirtbag last year and had to use one. The year before, a friend busted one off of his haro X1, and we couldn't find anyone with anything similar. We ended up hammering it back and, despite all of the stress cracks on it, it held up for two more days.

You should really try chainless, though. A buddy and me ended up having drivetrain issues on the same day last year. Nothing is more satisfying than coming up to the head of the trail and push-starting your bikes. People get embarrassed when you pass them with no chain, too. Ohh! And you're also super stealthy!

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
I just ordered a new hanger from Turner. $19.95 plus S&H.
Ok, send it to me.
Looked at the PO that came with it and the S&H was $9.95.
$9.95!!!!
Are you freakin' kidding me!?! $10 to throw it in an envelope and put it in the mail!?! The postage was only like $1.20.
I know its only $10 but it seems like an E-bay S&H scam to me. I work in manufacturing so I know a cast piece of aluminum with a minor machining is only a few dollars. So to profit that much off a the part and then to bend me over for the S&H really sours me on the comany.
Back to to original (sort of) post, $20 part + $10 S&H is $30. To find one in Whistler for only $30 when you need it is a deal. My girlfriend broke her hanger on her Turner 5-spot at Whistler last 4th 'o-July and we got lucky and found a shop that just happened to have one and I remember it being $60 CA dollars.
How can you ask more than a new one factory direct?