Quantcast

Free coaster for dh bike

free_skiier

Chimp
Mar 29, 2005
It seems like dh riding is going the way of skiing with all this riding backwards nonsense. The next big thing is going to be droping in switch at whistler.
On that note I was wondering if anyone knows if a free coaster is being made for a 150x12mm rear hub.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i have yet to see any dh'er ride fakie. or have any other parallel to skiing other than being done on a mountain with expensive equipment and a lift.

and as far as i know, only bmx hubs are compatible with freecoasters. it requires a proprietary hub body IINM, something a normal freewheel does not - other than the standard threading/spacing.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
weird concept but khe does make a disc 135mm freecoaster hub. do dh fr bikes even have 135mm spacing?

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
I think SIC makes a "Chase Nuetral Gear" that will do what you want. However, you would need to shift into nuetral first. Basically, it's just a spacer on the cog with no teeth.

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
i have yet to see any dh'er ride fakie. or have any other parallel to skiing other than being done on a mountain with expensive equipment and a lift.

and as far as i know, only bmx hubs are compatible with freecoasters. it requires a proprietary hub body IINM, something a normal freewheel does not - other than the standard threading/spacing.
I've done a fakie on my dh bike.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
It seems like dh riding is going the way of skiing with all this riding backwards nonsense. The next big thing is going to be droping in switch at whistler.
On that note I was wondering if anyone knows if a free coaster is being made for a 150x12mm rear hub.

sure might come someday soon.

i have the KHE freecoaster and it would be easy to mod to 150x12.

the axles studs bolt into the main axle. it came with 10mm but i got

the 14mm. so you could make the spacing up there. but it would

have to be SS rig of course. i have the 9tooth i think. I could get one

setup for you if you want to try it out. the hubs is $240 + 60 for

custom 150x12.

Frorider1

Monkey
Apr 28, 2006
I think you are thinking of slopestyles, not DH riding. NOONE is going to ride fakie on a DH trail. It would be insanly hard if not imposible ride any decent dh trail backwards.

I think you just got the wrong thread, post this in the freeride thread.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
bad idea, i run one a geisha bmx hub on my nem pro death mobile and its a blast, but would never run one on my slopestyle, dh or 4x bike EVER. my 26 in geared street bike has the chase neutral gear and it is a pain to use even after you get it dailed in.

Frorider1

Monkey
Apr 28, 2006
Well with if slopestlyes keeps going the direction its been going i could see people starting to do more street tricks, which would meen freecoaster..i would put one on my slopestlyes bike, but never on my dh.

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
I could see it being useful. In Kranked 6 Steve R does that 180 on a step up, a free coaster would be useful in that situation. I think in some applications it might be useful, but most riders wouldn't need or want it.

L

luelling

I had a "freecoaster" setup on a normal 135mm street bike. I used plastic spacers in the cassette and dropped the chain, you would be surprised at how well this works....no reason you couldn't do it on 150mm hubs. And yes, I have ridden BMX freecoasters, cool concept but they are really complicated and it would seem hard to replicate to the larger size hubs.

<edit> Von Williams was the one that keyed me in on the spacer/drop the chain technique

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
You don't understand, I met this ****er in whistler and he 180's off rock rolls on captain safety all the time on his big ass devinci. Things in this industry will change once this alien technology hits the masses.

And there is a 12x150 freecoaster hub available out of some obscure european distributor I've checked out. IT's built for bikes like the Scratch and other lame ass hardtails like that.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
I think its a great idea and can only bring progression.

To the people hating on this kid, wait a year or two and then revisit this thread.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I think its a great idea and can only bring progression.

To the people hating on this kid, wait a year or two and then revisit this thread.
you probably said the same thing about biopace and shimano airlines. :lighten:

seriously though. for slopestyle, i could see it; there'd have to be huge leaps and bounds in terms of riding ability for them to start "dropping in fakie". for actual downhilling, not a chance.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
seriously though. for slopestyle, i could see it; there'd have to be huge leaps and bounds in terms of riding ability for them to start "dropping in fakie". for actual downhilling, not a chance.
I don't think anyone is really talking about actual DH, just tricks for slopestyle or whatever you want to call it. I also don't think it will that huge of a leap, just part of the natural progression of ridiculousness. Dudes on 20" bikes are doing just about everything switch/fakie at this point - check out "the next level" in the BMX forum for a few examples - so I think it's only a matter of time.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I don't think anyone is really talking about actual DH, just tricks for slopestyle or whatever you want to call it. I also don't think it will that huge of a leap, just part of the natural progression of ridiculousness. Dudes on 20" bikes are doing just about everything switch/fakie at this point - check out "the next level" in the BMX forum for a few examples - so I think it's only a matter of time.
i understand the concept of natural progression. however, look at the terrain bmx riders are doing fakie on (and for the amount of time the spend in this direction - which in many cases isn't long - however this is changing). its normally in a park or street riding where the terrain surface is regular and generally smooth. look at the terrain on a slopestyle course. far more inconsistent, not to mention the presence of baby heads / death nuggets, whatever you wanna call 'em. you hit one of these it could end badly. i have a cousin who used to race moto-x. went into a jump with just way too many people, so he opted to reverse it as to not collide mid-air or on the landing. While reversing down the jump, he hit a rock, flipped over backwards, and now he's a quadriplegic. definitely a worst case scenario, but still a possibility. just some food for thought.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
so he opted to reverse it as to not collide mid-air or on the landing. While reversing down the jump, he hit a rock, flipped over backwards, and now he's a quadriplegic.

Not to detract from the tragedy that is your cousin's disability, but are you meaning to say he half cabbed his mx bike into the lip and mike aitkin'd the jump? If so, that is impressive. I don't follow MX racing closely, but in 17 years of riding, I've never seen that...? I can't throttle hop my CR more than ten inches and I'm a pretty big kid.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
i understand the concept of natural progression. however, look at the terrain bmx riders are doing fakie on (and for the amount of time the spend in this direction - which in many cases isn't long - however this is changing). its normally in a park or street riding where the terrain surface is regular and generally smooth. look at the terrain on a slopestyle course. far more inconsistent, not to mention the presence of baby heads / death nuggets, whatever you wanna call 'em. you hit one of these it could end badly. i have a cousin who used to race moto-x. went into a jump with just way too many people, so he opted to reverse it as to not collide mid-air or on the landing. While reversing down the jump, he hit a rock, flipped over backwards, and now he's a quadriplegic. definitely a worst case scenario, but still a possibility. just some food for thought.
Sorry about your cousin, that really sucks. And you make a good point about terrain. But the possibility of serious injury or even death has not stopped people from pushing the envelope and I don't expect that to change. I learned a long time ago to stop saying "nobody will ever do that."

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Not to detract from the tragedy that is your cousin's disability, but are you meaning to say he half cabbed his mx bike into the lip and mike aitkin'd the jump? If so, that is impressive. I don't follow MX racing closely, but in 17 years of riding, I've never seen that...? I can't throttle hop my CR more than ten inches and I'm a pretty big kid.
no, he hit the brakes and stopped on the take-off prior to the lip, then went in reverse down the take-off.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
no, he hit the brakes and stopped on the take-off prior to the lip, then went in reverse down the take-off.
Still in condolences, that's not a 180, that's hitting your brakes, rolling back and having ****ty circumstances....

But 180'ing a DH bike @ schladming is way sweeter.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Still in condolences, that's not a 180, that's hitting your brakes, rolling back and having ****ty circumstances....

But 180'ing a DH bike @ schladming is way sweeter.
did i say anywhere that it was a 180? or try to give that impression in any way shape or form? that's a negative. and yea, totally sh!tty circumstances. wasn't trying to reach for condolences, just trying to show that going backwards can be f*cking dangerous if done on the wrong terrain. exact same outcome is possible if you 180 a dh bike at schladming. and i dont see how it could make you any faster :confused: