Quantcast

Freeride Bike Specs (opinions plz?)

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
Coil is waaay better than air. DHX, Roco, or Avy are the only choices.

You mean for you I hope... The kid weighs 120lb and he is not gonna be doing serious DH.. And you claim a coil is way better than air.. Also I am guessing you just forgot Cane Creek DB:poster_oops:

Cole you gotta ride both, go ride a FR bike with a Air shock and one with a Coil at your weight 120lb I think I was 10 when I weighed that but anyway, a air shock will be awesome for the riding you are gonna do. For DH I would say yes go Coil but for what your gonna do you can defiantly go Air and it will save some weight as well. You have a few options you can go with the DHX air or the Roco Air.

For you going DHX Coil and a Ti spring not worth the money bro actually its a waste.. Everybody is telling you go coil go coil, Dont listen to that .... air shock for your application is probably the way to go even Norco is going the route of a all Air DH bike for 08. But listen dude we can all tell you what to get and how much to spend... You have to make that decision its gonna be your bike..

Dont build a FORUM BIKE... Get out there borrow or whatever a bike with a air setup and one with a coil so you can make that decision for yourself.

On the 1.5 steerer tube you dont have to go that route if you dont want. Get a Cane Flush or a FSA 1.5 to 1 1/8 and you will good to go thats what I am running on my Blindside..

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i think that you need to try an air and coil shock like el gordo said. at 120 lbs, you'll be needing a different spring than will come with the bike you get unless you're buying a small. air shocks can accomidate a whole spectrum of weights without swapping crap around. i know plenty of people that use air shocks for everything, but i think that the general opinion is that a coil shock with a ti spring will give a better feel. air shocks save a ton of weight over a coil, but by swapping for a ti spring, you'll drop away quite a bit of the coil shock's weight as well as maintain that feel. that's an expensive option though. air shocks have come incredibly far, they're getting closer and closer to coil-like feel, but i don't see them matching it for some time. you'll be happy with either, it isn't a huge decision, so don't stress. figure out other parts that are more of a priority and then see if you have the extra dollars left over to go air if that is really the move you want to make.

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
Cole I was looking back at your posts, You said you are mainly gonna do freeride and the ocassional DH.. I am not sure if you got the DirtBag already but as I sit here thinking now that you said your 120lb and you main riding is gonna be FR.. If I was you and this is just my .02 here... a kick ass build you would proably enjoy more than the DB.. A Bottlerocket dude.. Stats:::

Bottle Rocket
Fork = either a new 08 Zook 55 or a Rock SHox Lyrik
Rear SHox = DHX air or a TST Air
Cranks - Race Face Atlas
E-13 DRS
Avid Code's or Juicy 7's
823's laced to Hopes or Hadleys
2.5 tires
And go with all your other stuff

Bro this is perfect for you, I mean a DB is a great bike but it a bit geared towards DH and I mean you dont really need that 6.7 inches of travel.. I mean I have been on a Preston and I weigh 235lb and been hitting Diablo hard no probs yes I know I need more of a Bike so I am building a Blindside prob solved.. But at 120lb for FR the dirtbag is a gonna be on the heavy side for you it is gonna take some effort to throw that Bit*h around in the air aswell as pedaling.. With a BottleRocket you will have a blast and still have enough biketo do any DH that you want to do.. I was just riding my buddies today and it is such a sweet ride.. Think about that you want to kind of do it once and do it right kind of thing...

Thats why i said get out there and ride some bikes see what you like Air or Coil etc etc.before you drop serious coin on stuff... Trust me i wish I did a bit more, I am on my 3rd fork this year and my second frame just cause I didnt just take my time and really think about what i wanted instead of just forum shopping you know..

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
I had a dirt bag and now have a bottle rocket, the bottle rocket is great but I notice the lack of travel on some trails. the BR jumps and turns better, but big bumps not so nice,

cole- if your riding is smoother and more new school fr(slopestyle) get a bottlerocket, but if your trails are bumpier and you like drops the dirtbag is better. I am going to get another long travel bike this winter for riding the rough trails, bottle rocket isn't a big bike. dirt bag is a good inbetween size, perfect for an only, do it all bike.

don't get Ti spring, you are growing and would need a new spring every year and ti is $$$.

I have been happy w/ my dhx air, I added a cap full of ATF into the air chamber to help lube the seals and make the air spring ramp up some. this helps small bump sensitivity and bottom out without adding to much damping which makes the shock feel dead.

your build spec looks nice.

King*Cole

Chimp
Sep 17, 2007
Edmonton, AB
according to the tranition website the dirtbag actually weighs slightly less than the bottlerocket and i do more drops and stuff so i think im going to go with the dirtbag. I think the air would be better for me just becuz i dont wanna have to get a ti spring beucz i'll have to replace spring each year as someone mentioned. I would like to test out an air shock first tho...