Quantcast

Freeride bike

speedygirl

Chimp
Mar 30, 2005
I'm a XC rider looking to buy a freeride bike. I'm 5'4" and about 125lbs. I'm looking to get something that has 6" of travel and I want to be able to pedal it up hills without killing myself.

Any suggestions?

speedygirl

Chimp
Mar 30, 2005
As much as I want....don't want to spend over $5K though. If the bike is sweet enough I'll pay the price. I'd be interested in buying a frame only also....

I'd like to keep it as inexpensive as possible though....

luv2rideu

Chimp
Feb 16, 2005
Austin TX
dhjill is "my pusherman" ( I love that song!)...Still having fun on my 03 X3, working on a few upgrades though....I second that motion, but if your willing to spend upwards of 5k then get a Kona!

Mtbkngrl

Monkey
Aug 21, 2002
Rochester NY
I'm 5'9" 142 and I ride a Stinky Primo....it's about 42 pounds and it's a beast to ride around....I love it, but it's definately a pig. Gee Spot has a Yeti ASX, and she loves it....it's lighter than the stinky and has a 5th element rear shock. She uses it for freeriding and downhill and doesn't have any complaints. Happy shopping.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Don't forget about the Kona Coiler series. If you are not Marla Streb, I would think about getting the lightest bike possible. Alot of women do not want to lug around a 40+ lb bike.

Considering your weight, you could ride an air sprung bike and not bottom it out.

This is a reach of a bike, but I would think about a 2005 Specialized Enduro. It comes with an air 5th Element shock, and they have models with come with a lighter Fox Talas fork or a beefier (but not too beefy) Marzocchi 66. Unfortunately, they start at $3000+. Strong, light, or cheap: pick two.

speedygirl

Chimp
Mar 30, 2005
Yeah, I should have mentioned that I mainly want one to be able to hang with the BF when he wants to go freeriding. I know I'll get addicted (I'm already itching to ride) but right now I want a good quality bike for a resonable price. Once I get a little more knowledgeable I'll upgrade.

I've riden a 50lb downhill bike that was a little too big for me and that thing was a pain in my behind to get up any kind of hill.

speedygirl

Chimp
Mar 30, 2005
sanjuro said:
Don't forget about the Kona Coiler series. If you are not Marla Streb, I would think about getting the lightest bike possible. Alot of women do not want to lug around a 40+ lb bike.

Considering your weight, you could ride an air sprung bike and not bottom it out.

This is a reach of a bike, but I would think about a 2005 Specialized Enduro. It comes with an air 5th Element shock, and they have models with come with a lighter Fox Talas fork or a beefier (but not too beefy) Marzocchi 66. Unfortunately, they start at $3000+. Strong, light, or cheap: pick two.
I actually talked to a guy this weekend that had one of these bikes. He let me ride it around and it was awesome!

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
sanjuro said:

My thoughts exactly. A true FR bike would be so overbuilt for someone your size that the bike will end up working against you. The simpler the better. I tihk that the Orange Patriot might be a good choice, but I think that the sizes might be limited. IMO, anything like a Bullit or bigger is overkill. I would look at 5" travel trail bikes.

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
I have an 04 haro x1, and I can say it does not wiegh 31 pounds. (17 inch) I have not wieghed it, but my guess is it wieghts 36-37 pounds, probably 35 stock. I am not positive on these wieghts, it is just a guestimate.
Here is my ride: (New back tire since picture) :thumb:

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
haromtnbiker said:
I have an 04 haro x1, and I can say it does not wiegh 31 pounds. (17 inch) I have not wieghed it, but my guess is it wieghts 36-37 pounds, probably 35 stock. I am not positive on these wieghts, it is just a guestimate.
Here is my ride: (New back tire since picture) :thumb:
Those weights I gave were for 2005 bikes...they are lighter than the 2004's. :)

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
dhjill said:
Those weights I gave were for 2005 bikes...they are lighter than the 2004's. :)
Yeah, I am kinda curious about how you got these numbers.

The 2005 Enduro Pro with 5th Element Air and a Fox 36 Air weighs about 30-31 lbs for a medium, and it is $3000+

Just the Stance Blunt on the Haro weighs about 6+ lbs, where the Fox 36 is 5 lbs.

Nov 14, 2004
W.Seattle
I am rocken a large 03 bighit comp (till my rmx r3 comes) it’s at a nice 39 pounds.2004 jr.t, dual intense mag 30's and a pushed fox RC.
Down side is rear 24" wheel. But it pedals like a charm up hills, you know like wood lot and fromme. Also look into the rocky mountain switch series, really sturdy bikes that you can do almost any thing on.

Mar 31, 2005
colorado
i just got a cannondale prophet - a beauty for freeriding sessions! the small fits my 5'3" self pretty well & isn't too much of a beast for pedaling uphill (also comes in petite).

yup, a true freeride bike is overkill for us little people .

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Sweet! I have seen way too many people get talked into bikes that they don't need. I am happy for you that you got something that fits the bill so well.

downhill24/7

Chimp
Jan 31, 2005
Boulder
looks like dhjill beat me to it but i have an 04 haro extreme x1 and i love it, the kenda tired and the front shock sucked, but the new ones come with differant setup than mine, i put on i better fork and better wheels, i also go t maxxis mobster tires, great tires, hevent gotten a single flat in the year ive had em and i have crappy tubes, however i kinda overkilled with the wheels so the bikes a little heavy, still a great bike, highly recomend, i got my x1 for under a grand. also i dont know the price, but haro has a new dh/freeride bike out; the werx 7 its pretty gnarly, problly more than u need/looking for but its pretty sweet from what i here, anyway, heres my bike