Quantcast

Freeride Bike

freeride_86

Chimp
Dec 19, 2001
Lethbridge, AB
Hey im getting a new bike. I have about 2500 canadian to spend and i need something with at least 5 in the front and 5 in the rear. Im looking at a giant xtc ac something, a norco vps drop, a Brodie of some kind or a rockymountmain of somekind as well. To me the best deal is the Norco but is there anything else that i should consider thanks.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
You could check a Kona Stinky and upgrade the fork if you're talking about 2500 before the taxes. If you count the taxes in the 2500, then it should come out very close. :D

freeride_86

Chimp
Dec 19, 2001
Lethbridge, AB
The stinky is a great bike but im not sure that the components stack up to the ones on the drop. Someone try and convince me why i shouldnt buy the drop and why i should buy something else. Also what about the singletrack rims, are they junk?

freeride_86

Chimp
Dec 19, 2001
Lethbridge, AB
Hmmm, there not that ugly. Does anyone own singletrack wheels? The reason that i am looking at the norcos is that no one seems to have that good of a price for that good of a bike. And are hayes HFX Hydraulic the cheap ones? I heard something about hayes making a non-aftermarket hydro disc that had plastic and stuff. The frame seems pretty bombproof. I know it seems like im biased but it just seems like no one has that kind of deal. Also what do u think i could get for the brand new Marzocchi Dirt Jump 1 that is on there? I would be selling it used.

you should definitely check out the Giant AC series...

adjustable 4.75", 5.15, 6.0" of travel...AC1s got the Shiver SC....soooo sweet!

i'd also consider a santa cruz heckler...and build it up beefy for a freeride/trail riding combo....

hmm..what else? you can't go wrong with the specialized big hit. almost everyone loves them (i haven't ridden them personally)

so many choices! good luck with whatever you pick!:D

jhusktrials

Monkey
Dec 29, 2001
Denver
Without seeing the Norco it seems to be equipped very similar to the 2002 Specialized Big Hit Comp. That bike has the DJ1 the singletrack wheels and the crappy Hayes cheopo disc levers.

The shop that I work at has the 2001 BH Comp for $1999.99 US. It is a really nice bike and it doesn't have the horribly flexy plastic Hayes s%^t levers.

The BH has 6.3" of travel in the rear and 5" in the front compliments of a Z4 with QR20. If you are interested we would be willing to ship the bike to you. Just a thought.

freeride_86

Chimp
Dec 19, 2001
Lethbridge, AB
I am looking for a 2002 bike. I dont think i will mind the brake levers. The levers themselves arent plastic, looks like just the piece that the levers fit into. That bighit (the 2001) is a bad deal for canadians. With the exchange rate almost all bikes are cheaper here. The 2001 BH would cost me over 3200 dollars. Here i can get a much better 2002 big hit comp for 2800 plus a bit of negotiation. I figure i would pay 2600 plus tax. So i guess the big hit is an option as well. Also what does a Brodie diablo or thumper cost? Or a Rocky Pipeline, giant Ac2, Kona Stinky Dee-lux, or the VPS drop, or a big hit comp cost. What would be the best bike out of these for around 2500? I think the AC-2, pipeline, stinky D, and Diablo are more money. I am doing some dirt jumps and drops to flat and slope. Or are there any other suggestions that have 5 inches front and rear at least, hydro discs, good wheels, decent components, and a Marzocchi Z-1 Wedge or better? Thanks and i am looking forward to some input. Thanks

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
www.devinci.com

These guys are in Quebec. They make some pretty nice stuff too. Well priced and speced like Norco. Nothing wrong with any of the bikes mentionned though. But Norco have IMHO made some really good bikes at great prices and well thought out spec. Heckler is nice but not available yet.

G

gravity

the norco's are the best specced for the money it would seem.....

freeride_86

Chimp
Dec 19, 2001
Lethbridge, AB
I just found out, if i drive to calgary, about two and a half hours, i can get a Specialized Big Hit Comp or a Norco VPS Drop for the same price. For the money they are the best two out of the selection. Which frame is better? Does the specialized feel like a huge bike? Also does anyone know how those singletrack wheels are? I had mammoths on a hardtail and they were fine. I even went 8 o flat. I thought they would be destroyed. Will the singletracks hold up to some abuse?

Dusty Bottoms

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Santa Monica
I will be lacing these up next week, and let you know how they roll. They are the new freeride rim made by Sun Ringle, a very reputable rim maker. They are disc specific, 30.9mm wide, and about 590 grams. We'll see...

Sep 10, 2001
Vancouver, BC
Originally posted by freeride_86
I just found out, if i drive to calgary, about two and a half hours, i can get a Specialized Big Hit Comp or a Norco VPS Drop for the same price. For the money they are the best two out of the selection. Which frame is better? Does the specialized feel like a huge bike? Also does anyone know how those singletrack wheels are? I had mammoths on a hardtail and they were fine. I even went 8 o flat. I thought they would be destroyed. Will the singletracks hold up to some abuse?
I strongly recommend the Bighit. I ride the 2001 Comp, small. My bud rides the 2001 Norco Buzz, medium. They seem to be pretty comparable in size, but mine feels much more agile than his. This is probably because of the 24" wheel, because I stuck it on his and it felt nimble too. Also, I don't know about Norco, but Specialized, although very large, makes very high-quality producs and supposedly has a great warrant, although I haven't had to worry about that. Also, The Bighit has noticably more travel than the VPS. And I wouldn't worry about the breaks or rims. They seem to be the ticket in that price range.

Urban_Ryder

Chimp
Jan 16, 2002
how come nobody mentioned pimping out a Hardtail?? i say pimp out a DMR Trailstar/Balfa Minuteman/Le Toy/.243 or likewise.

hardtails represent! :D

freeride_86

Chimp
Dec 19, 2001
Lethbridge, AB
Hey man, i really like hardtails but im replacing my brodie holeshot which is pretty pimped out. I need some rear travel for the huge drops. After i get the specialized im gonna build up a dirt jumping hardtail in a really small size with a Judy or psylo on it. Like a Sidekick or a jack flash or something, like a 12 to 14 inch. It will be like my designated dirt jumper and im keeping it cheap.

Browncow

Chimp
Aug 10, 2001
Ottawa, Ontario
Don't discount the brodie so quickly! Their FS lineup this year looks sweet... check out this year's thumper if you can, its basically like last year's Diablo, but about $600 less... I'd give it a serious look, cuz brodie's are seriously wicked bikes (but I'm sure you already knew that).

If its just between Specialized and Norco though, my vote goes to Norco! Canadian pride!

RuffRyda

Chimp
Feb 7, 2002
Portland OR
Go to Calgary and ride both of the bikes first before you buy one. I have heard a ton of good notes about the BigHit and also the Norco. I would have to say that the BigHit definately looks sick. tell us what u ended up with.

freeride_86

Chimp
Dec 19, 2001
Lethbridge, AB
Nope, im not going used, u just dont know what could be wrong with it. Within the week i will know which i want. They have them here but there are better deals in calgary so i will decide here and then go to calgary to buy it. Ill let u know.

freeride_86

Chimp
Dec 19, 2001
Lethbridge, AB
Well, i defied most of your suggestions in this post. I just put a down payment on a 2002 Giant Xtc Ac-2. Its stock except for Dirt Jump 1 fork, 650 pound spring, radical ingot 30 mm stem, kooka crankcase(full tooth), and soon a 24 inch rear wheel. Its gonna be pretty sweet. I love the feel of it and im sure it will hold up. Im pretty smooth and the rear shock is so adjustable. It goes from super slow to no rebound and super soft to super stiff. Plus im getting a good discount at my favorite shop here in lethbridge on it. That was my ultimate decision maker.

Fossil

Chimp
Feb 22, 2002
Toronto
Last year I bought a 2000 VPS3 frame from a shop demo bike, built it up with basic Rhino Lites, Tiogas, White brothers, rode it for a month and it didn't feel right after riding the Chameleon. Let my son use it for a few weeks, but he didn't like it and went back to the P3. Ended up stripping it down and sold it loosing about 1/3 of my investment for about 2 months riding. Since then we've got a Stab and a Rocky Mountain DH Race, and they are both much nicer and easier to ride than the VPS in all ways. Sure the Norco is a good deal, well specced, and I do like the look of them, but just ride one before buying. Can't go wrong with a Kona, we're looking to get another one.

Fossil

Chimp
Feb 22, 2002
Toronto
Oops, didn'd read page 2. haven't tried the Giant but have talked to a few people who built them up from frames and really are happy with them. Sounds good.

way2jedi4u

Chimp
Nov 27, 2001
Boulder, CO
Originally posted by Urban_Ryder
how come nobody mentioned pimping out a Hardtail?? i say pimp out a DMR Trailstar/Balfa Minuteman/Le Toy/.243 or likewise.

hardtails represent! :D
Man, you can take big drops on a HT, what are you talkin about? They just take a little more finesse on the landing, but you get way more props for it. Take that money and buy yourself a Norco 4hun.