Quantcast

Freeride Hardtail

AN6 Freerider

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
socal
ok I'm planning on getting a new freeride hardtail, but im having a tough time deciding.. any suggestions...
it will be used for shuttling, some dh, dirt jumps and capable of handling drops...

i was thinking either the
specialized p3
.243 freeride hartail
sinister ridge
woodman d-s

thanks for the input

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
The Ridge is a fantastic bike. It would be my first choice for a HT, but my riding is a bit different than yours (no DJ). It is certainly strong enought to handle everything you mention, I'm just not sure if the geometry is ideal for a DJ bike.

I have heard all good things about the .243 - aside from some issues with the weight.

AirAddict

Monkey
Jun 10, 2005
Asheville, NC
P.3's are great bikes, but i they seem to be less of a freeride hardtail for hitting DH and shuttling everyonce in a while. out of they choices you have listed, i'd get the .243

if i was getting a hardtail for those purposes, i'd get an evil imperial.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
currently rocking the 2005 version of

http://ironhorsebikes.com/bikes/index.asp?ID=18

i love this frame. i put a pike on it and ride it anywhere over anything without thinking twice about the frame. it handles like a dream with the fork in sub-100mm mode. nice and snappy quick. it handles great with the fork in 140-mm mode too. i am 6'1" and ride the 17" frame. the TT is a bit short for epic long climbs, and the weight is up there too (as with most hard-core-HTs). however, it handles the rough stuff like a dream. great geo. fun in the urban jungle. my favorite bike i have ever owned (and i LOVED my BB7 and norco 5hun).

AN6 Freerider

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
socal
yeah i ws thinking imperial but i dunno. i like that transition looks nice. and weight and the drop outs really dont care.. looking for something that can handle 5-8foot drops and big double along with some serious shuttle trails.

AN6 Freerider

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
socal
well i ahve a slider i also have a sherman firefly and i also have a shiver sc so i guess really i want it to be able to handle a dc fork and a sc fork...if i were to choose to run it like that... man that .243 looks nice how does it handle drops and dirt jumps. can you ride urban if you wanted to on it

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
AN6 Freerider said:
well i ahve a slider i also have a sherman firefly and i also have a shiver sc so i guess really i want it to be able to handle a dc fork and a sc fork...if i were to choose to run it like that... man that .243 looks nice how does it handle drops and dirt jumps. can you ride urban if you wanted to on it
The .243 can handle anything. Use different forks to achieve different head angles and such.

http://www.twofortythree.com/html/freeride_products.html

AN6 Freerider

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
socal
well it seems to be up in the air between the .243, woodman d-s,evil imperial, sinister ridge. like i said needs to able to handle 5-8 foot drops and dirt jumps along with flowy dh shuttle trails

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
contact ben at unrealcycles.com. he stocks the .243 and the woodman. he once stocked the evil (and maybe the sinister). he knows these bikes well.

the woodman seems a bit on the light side, and more DS oriented. this might not be the best choice for drops and they probably don't suggest dual crown usage. the .243 guys have 3 different versions of the frame. the price on these frames is under $500. in the over $500 world, you have the rest of your frames. if cost isn't an issue, the imperial is a great bike with a ton of set up options. the sinister is also a high quality product, but not as adjustable as the evil.

as a side note, there is a new soul cycles frame that will be similar to the imperial in the looks department for much less cash.

AN6 Freerider

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
socal
yeah i was kinda thinking both but i think the 06 imperial is the winner unless i decide to just get the .243 also now to figure out what freeridefully sled i want

Bullit21

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Socal
mandown said:
currently rocking the 2005 version of

http://ironhorsebikes.com/bikes/index.asp?ID=18

i love this frame. i put a pike on it and ride it anywhere over anything without thinking twice about the frame. it handles like a dream with the fork in sub-100mm mode. nice and snappy quick. it handles great with the fork in 140-mm mode too. i am 6'1" and ride the 17" frame. the TT is a bit short for epic long climbs, and the weight is up there too (as with most hard-core-HTs). however, it handles the rough stuff like a dream. great geo. fun in the urban jungle. my favorite bike i have ever owned (and i LOVED my BB7 and norco 5hun).
Have to agree with Adam. I have the Iron Horse Waka Gashira with the upgraded parts kit and it is the best bike that I have owned. I have also owned an SC Chameleon, a Bullit and an Iron Horse SGS Freeride Team.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
the toy is a classic. i am not a huge fan of the way my bud has his set up. i don't know how much of it has to do with his set up, and how much of it is the frame regardless of set up.

AN6 Freerider

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
socal
i totally dig the ridge but i dont think it would make a descent dirt jumping bike. right now im leaning way toward the .243 unless i can find someone that has a le toy 4 and can let me know the good specs on it. otherwise its the .243 then and /or the imperial.
dont like the morphine doesnt look like it will be able to hit a dirt jump. plus this rig has to be able to possibly hit urban also. so the imperial and the .243 or the le toy 4 all fit perfectly into this catagory

RJM

Monkey
May 18, 2005
on the rocks
I have an Imperial frame to sell if you go that route. Its a sick bike, super cool looking. I would rather have some rear suspension so its up for grabs...White, This Imperial frame can take legendary abuse. I'd like to see the bastid that could break it!

AN6 Freerider

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
socal
yeah i was looking at the vagrant,but can it handle a dul crown if i wanted to put one on there. freakin descisions desciosions and i need to make it quike..