Quantcast

Freeride outsida Seattle (Univ. Wash.)

snowforner15

Monkey
Jan 5, 2007
chico,ca
Xpost from mtbr..
Totally gonna sound like a tourist here, but im a highschool senior from the NORCAL, and applying to UW in the city.
We drove up to whistler last august and stopped in both Sea and B-ham, loved them both. we hooked up with a few locals and rode Galbriath Mtn, which was a great intro to whistler since we had been without rain down here for a good 2 months.

anyways, my questions is what kind of riding, and how far is it from Seattle? Would there be anyone to ride with from the univ? I'd imagine the bike scene up there is booming which would relate to plenty of DHers as well.

Geoff

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
i'm a freshmen at UW. its pretty sweet and nice having fluidride just down the street. real riding is about a half hour to 45 minutes away, but there is some decent street and some alright dirt jumps near the campus. there is a wide range of freeride/downhill stuff, from tech to fast to northshore. Stevens Pass should be opening up for lift service, but if you're not here in the summer I guess that doesn't really matter to you....

Bellingham is cool and definitely has closer riding, but I personally love Seattle and UW.

enjoydirt

Chimp
Sep 9, 2007
Seattle WA/ Monterey CA
Ya, I totally agree with what freeride kid said-

I'm a soph at UW but ya I come from Norcal too (Monterey) the main thing I miss are long rides where you don't see anyone and can get in some flowy singletrack.

The riding spots close to campus are more like skill areas (greenlake South seatac, Japanese gulch).

Get into the jump/ park scene to have the most fun here during the winter. let me know if you have any other questions-

Dan-

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
Another guy from norcal (Santa Cruz) who came to UW. The riding here is legit, I don't know what the riding is like in Chico, but there's some great riding pretty close by. Then within 4 hours in a few directions there's even more. During wintertime I think trails are too muddy or snowed in which you won't be used to, but there's lot of jumping and street/park riding around here.

The main thing I really miss is having good trail riding close enough to ride to, and while going to UW the only time you can ride trails is the weekend.

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
what black noise said. Ill be a freshman at UW hopefully this september. But theres some freeride stuff about 30min drive. Some really good shuttle DH about 40 minutes away, and then some really good freeride with some big jumps and ladders and ladder jumps etc about 40 minutes away as well.

then 4- 4hours 30min north you have the shore and whistler. Shore is more like 3 hours away. Then 5 hours east you have beacon where the state championships are in May, then 4 hours south theres mt hood and they host 5 races, then near mt hood is wiollamette who has 3 races a year.

One of the bike shops very close to campus (near UW police dept. i believe) is hosting the fluidride cup this year which has 7 races some at mt hood, some in port angeles and somewhere else. Basically part of the 5 hood races count towards that cup.

and port angeles is also a very fun place to ride at around 3-4 hours west.

EDIT: if you have a DH bike and hardtail or short travel something, your going to want it. Lot of good urban and some jumping on and near campus

snowforner15

Monkey
Jan 5, 2007
chico,ca
uh ive done the UW app but havnt finished the essays yet, western washington is ready to be sent and i might just apply to pullman.. and i just got into oregon and colorado-boulder

AlexB

Chimp
Aug 3, 2007
I'm a junior at UW, coming from Bellingham.

Seattle is a sweet place to ride. You've got access to many trails close by. Northshore about 3 hours away. Whistler is about 5 hours away (if you don't hit Van or Sea to Sky Traffic). Even closer is Bellingham, which has good riding at Galbraith, Chuckanut. Galbraith can get super wet (and stay super wet) during the winter.

Apart from that, there are a lot of trails out I-90, Suntop, Tiger Mountain, Fall City, etc which are about 30-45 min away.

If you have a hardtail, bring it. I've been riding my hardtail a lot lately and it's been keeping my bike cravings at bay.

If you've got any questions, feel free to msg me.

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
i just got a bmx bike and it definitely makes the street around here more fun than on a hardtail. this is coming from someone who never thought he'd ride bmx again. plus its easier to carry up the stairs in the dorms haha.

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
that doesnt make it any faster, haha. i called UW doesnt do early acceptance. the priority deadline if for people applying to honors or scholarships
all i know is I applied w/in like a week of when they opened application up and I got my acceptance letter like 2 or 3 weeks after that, before some of my friends even applied. in fact i got accepted into honors before some got their regular acceptance letters.

Wigga

Monkey
Jul 27, 2004
kirkland
uh ive done the UW app but havnt finished the essays yet, western washington is ready to be sent and i might just apply to pullman.. and i just got into oregon and colorado-boulder
feel free to apply to pullman

but go to western

(i made the wrong choice)

though the riding here is getting better all the time

snowforner15

Monkey
Jan 5, 2007
chico,ca
whats your guys' SATs, ACTs, GPA and what not at both western and UW? i just got shot down by cal poly early decesion, but got into oregon and boulder this week.

PNWs my first choice tho.. hows the winter riding?

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
winter riding depends how hardcore you are, but its do able.

SAT for UW depends ALOT, they look for well rounded individuals, and people who are culutrally diverse.

but general is 3.4 AT LEAST

and 1700 + SAT scores

thats bare minimum.

if you have 3.6+
2000+ SAT
youll get in

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
whats your guys' SATs, ACTs, GPA and what not at both western and UW? i just got shot down by cal poly early decesion, but got into oregon and boulder this week.

PNWs my first choice tho.. hows the winter riding?
i got into western with a 2010 sat and 3.85 gpa, no act

Dan89

Monkey
Mar 15, 2006
my ass
yea 2010 stephen has no life..lol jk :imstupid:

colleges tend to look at you to see if your a well rounded student so low grades and test scores arent always a deal breaker...

stephen are you for sure going to western??

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
I got into Western with a terrible GPA, but 1410 SAT (out of 1600) and a lot of work experience. Worked out well. I love it here. We've got a competitive cycling team (lots of solid national results for all disciplines). I'd have to argue the girls are prettier here (more of the outdoorsy, sport types, rather than sorority sloos), and theres tons of trails within DH bike riding distance. I'm coming from the Seattle area, and I am definitely happier up here than I was down there.

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
I got into Western with a terrible GPA, but 1410 SAT (out of 1600) and a lot of work experience. Worked out well. I love it here. We've got a competitive cycling team (lots of solid national results for all disciplines). I'd have to argue the girls are prettier here (more of the outdoorsy, sport types, rather than sorority sloos), and theres tons of trails within DH bike riding distance. I'm coming from the Seattle area, and I am definitely happier up here than I was down there.
naw UW girls are way hotter than western girls. (although my girlfriend going to UW might add a slight bias to that opinion...)

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
pretty much between them, csm, and boulder. depends on who will give me more $$ and a cooler bike:pirate2:

yea 2010 stephen has no life..lol jk :imstupid:

colleges tend to look at you to see if your a well rounded student so low grades and test scores arent always a deal breaker...

stephen are you for sure going to western??