Quantcast

Freeride park in SC

rocketmatt17

Monkey
Sep 10, 2007
I'm trying to gauge interest for a free ride park in the Greenwood area of South Carolina. I have 60 acres at my disposal and have already started building. I have access to a pretty much endless supply of treated wood and equipment. I will be building the course either way (public or private)but would prefer to open to the public so we all can enjoy. I would also love some input and help. The property is also on a lake so there will be swimming and a ramp jump into the lake. Would anyone be interested. The place will require a small fee for maintenance and expansion. I need to know if people would be willing to travel to the park and of course willing to pay. We are thinking it will be set up with a drop box and liability release form. The park would be open every day weather permitting.

BD-DV07

Monkey
Nov 1, 2007
Blacksburg, VA
good luck man! I'll be down ridding it, I'm in the same boat trying to build localy in Charlesotn, yet its flat here so I dont have much to work with.. Good luck!! keep us posted!

j2d013

Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
G' Vegas,SC
Sounds pretty cool, and I think it isijust what the area needs. Plus it gives evryone another option of riding. Keep us updated on the progress, and I'm sure plenty of people from the upstate would come and ride.:cheers:

Basher

Monkey
May 8, 2007
Hicktown, NC
Hell yeah I'd be up for riding it for sure. Plus if there was a primitive camping site available it would allow folks who have to travel a few hours to get there a place to crash a ride a couple of days. When Hick park was around it got all kinds of use so I'm sure you could generate some funds. Keep us posted, FR is where it's at for sure.

Streamline

Spammer Extraordinaire
Jul 9, 2007
My riding buddies and I would definitely try it once, if it was fun we would come up a few times a year.

rocketmatt17

Monkey
Sep 10, 2007
what is stuntersville. there wil be a good mix of terrain. Some natural and some built. there are some good elevation changes (at least for greenwood)

rocketmatt17

Monkey
Sep 10, 2007
This will be a private facility that will be open to the public. I have no zoning laws to deal with so we cant be shut down. I guess thats one benefit to living in the sticks.

rocketmatt17

Monkey
Sep 10, 2007
Hey guys Im always looking for trail builders/test riders to help out on the weekends. Im always working on the track on Sundays and Mondays.
PM me if anyones interested

rocketmatt17

Monkey
Sep 10, 2007
The vertical drop is only about 100 feet but thats why we are being so creative. There will be some longer Freeride Loops but they will have some pedaling

clemsonbiker

Chimp
Oct 23, 2007
There's a bunch of guys up here in clemson who would definitely come. You need any help with trail building?

rewster

Monkey
Feb 3, 2007
charlotte nc
sorry to the powers at be for badmouthing stuntersville, just sucks to spend ample time digging/building, only to have it altered or destroyed. and opening 6+ months late doesnt make it a failure, what was i thinking......

sounds like you guys have some potential there, tear it uppp

rocketmatt17

Monkey
Sep 10, 2007
ooks pretty sweet, i would head out there but its about 2.5 hrs door to door
It takes 1hr ten minutes to get the NC/SC state line on I-26 from the park. I hope everyone comes and checks it out once we are open. We built 2 more skinny/bridges recently. One that is 7 inches wide and 20 feet long at 5' off the ground. Pics coming soon

vinnycactus

Monkey
May 27, 2004
Matthews, NC
sorry to the powers at be for badmouthing stuntersville, just sucks to spend ample time digging/building, only to have it altered or destroyed. and opening 6+ months late doesnt make it a failure, what was i thinking......
we were asked by parks and rec to remove the gulley gap and it still not being officially open, although very frustrating, is entirely out of our control.

bullitridden

Chimp
Nov 26, 2006
I'm trying to gauge interest for a free ride park in the Greenwood area of South Carolina. I have 60 acres at my disposal and have already started building. I have access to a pretty much endless supply of treated wood and equipment. I will be building the course either way (public or private)but would prefer to open to the public so we all can enjoy. I would also love some input and help. The property is also on a lake so there will be swimming and a ramp jump into the lake. Would anyone be interested. The place will require a small fee for maintenance and expansion. I need to know if people would be willing to travel to the park and of course willing to pay. We are thinking it will be set up with a drop box and liability release form. The park would be open every day weather permitting.
Hey, just found this... where are you located in Greenwood?? I have a friend that built some trails (freeride w/ some good jumps) called Ruffwood in Greenwood prior to moving back to FL. I am in Spartanburg & used to come here pretty often last summer & fall to build & ride. Can't remember the name of the road it was on but it was a Duke Power-owned section of land off of a powerline not far from Downtown area. Think it was Edwards Rd. or something?

j2d013

Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
G' Vegas,SC
those trails are in Woodruff you are talking about, not Greenwood. That is why they were named Ruffwood. I know of those trails and have helped out there myself.

bullitridden

Chimp
Nov 26, 2006
yes, Woodruff. Remember I am not from them parts. Know it's not the same place but relatively close. Where are you @ in Greenwood?

cmscheip

Chimp
Mar 1, 2009
I know a couple of us from UNC Asheville would be down there. It'd be about a 2 hour haul so not too bad. Any dirt jumps/berms? Most of the pics show wood features (which are cool too!). Just out of curiousity, does anyone know the vertical drop at the Clemson course, for comparison. I don't really know what 100ft of drop feels like.

Any idea when Southshore will open to riding?

Last edited:

bullitridden

Chimp
Nov 26, 2006
I know a couple of us from UNC Asheville would be down there. It'd be about a 2 hour haul so not too bad. Any dirt jumps/berms? Most of the pics show wood features (which are cool too!). Just out of curiousity, does anyone know the vertical drop at the Clemson course, for comparison. I don't really know what 100ft of drop feels like.

Heading to Climpson this weekend to see the race Sat w/ the old lady - no bike this trip:( Haven't been to Climpson since last Summer, don't know of the vertical drop you are referring to. 100'?? sounds interstin here...

Last edited:

rocketmatt17

Monkey
Sep 10, 2007
We should be open soon. I hope by May 1st. The main Freeride/DH trail is about half way complete. There are alot of wood stunts which is why I call it a Freeride/DH trail. I am planning on having a DH race this year as well. I am opening to people who want to come ride and help build (if they do there is no fee). There will lots of small trails that will feed into the main as well as a XC loop. The 100ft elevation change is only an estimate and is over .35 miles. There are some shorter steep sections that really generate some speed (30mph). Keep in mind the more help I can get, the faster we open and the cheaper the fee will be. I will be at the Clemson DH race this weekend. I suppose I could wear a really big ugly hat or something to let people know who I am.