Quantcast

Freeride vs downhill

AngryBeaver

Chimp
Oct 4, 2009
Whistler Baby!
Let me clear some things up. The following falls strictly into freeriding territory:
Dude, that was frickin epic!!! I copied and pasted that onto a word document! I may have to use that to show some fellow riders, I will quote it tho, promise!!

Its to be taking with a pinch of salt, but it really does some up some peoples attitudes! Im starting to get sick of some guys attitudes.

Nice one!

Greg

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Woo....I'm gonna start click "View all posts by this user", but only if you promse to trim down the length. One to three good punchlines per post at most...then walk away. And yes....I followed Kenan's sig into this thread.

However, you lose a cool point for not mentioning the ways one may earn their officially licensed Hucker Card at Whistler every Tuesday night.

RODJ

Chimp
Dec 25, 2013
Freeride - Typically steeper head tube angle (65-67), higher bottom bracket, stronger frames, sometimes front der compatible, 160 to 200 travel, single or dual crown fork
its more designed to ride the nasty stuff, take big hits and big crashes, and possibly pedal back up to the top.

Downhill - typically slacker head angle (62-66), low BB for cornering, light frames, never run a FD, 190-250 travel, dual crown fork.
focused on being light and pedalling efficient, longer and slacker for stability.

main difference comes down to geometry typically for a true FR or DH bike.

-my Norco Truax 1 head angle is 65.5 deg. is it applicable to convert dual crown with 200mm travel? any advice?

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
The bike would handle better if a 7" fork was on it instead of an 8" fork. Your riding would have exaggerated-effort to weight the front end as opposed to the bike naturally wanting to angle from it's middle.

If the bike allows a longer eye-to-eye shock giving more effective travel at the rear - maybe consider it then, but finding a totally adjustable 7" fork is the best bet for having the bike stick.

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
No offense Muddy, but that is sort of very much off. 180mm single crown forks have almost identical axle to grown lengths of 200mm dual crown forks. That means you will have nearly identical geometry. And besides, even if not, a 65.5 head angle is not that slack these days and even if he went to 65 it would not make it worse.
Going to a longer eye-to-eye shock will have a much bigger effect on geometry and not in a good way at all. It will make the head angle steeper and raise the bottom bracket as well. Neither are traditionally better things when bike handling is concerned.

My advice, if you want to try an 8 inch fork go for it. Only downside is costs involved. You may just love the confidence having that big fork up front will give you.