Quantcast

Fresh paint

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
New colors for this year. I got sick of all the boring black and silver bikes. How's it lookin'? Hopefully some better pics on the way to show off the mirror flake in the clear.

I blasted the rims to get them PC'd white, but liked the distorted fade that they had. Cleared them and scotch-brited them to give them a satin look.

The pinstriping matches side-to-side right on!

Ironically... The helmet I ordered (never adding 1+1) is the same color. I wasn't really thinking about it until it was shipped. When I got it, I put them side by side and they can't get any closer. It was a Giro Remedy from last year. Out of all the online leftovers, it was the only one I found in large. I figured that at least it was different than black (again). All the decals were to my specs and done by a Laser Graphics. I then cleared over the decals and pinstripe.
How's it look? EC

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Just painted. I did all the prep work. My buddy sprayed the blue on and I went to his house and did the decals and pinstriping. Rich then cleared it, but mixed in some mirror flake. You can't see it in the photo, but in person the flake plays a big roll in the overall look. EC

PS. It's very much like Carolina Blue. At least that's what I told the paint guys I wanted.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Sorry someone had to do it...

Your seat is crooked. =P

Nice work on the paint job though. It is always nice to see people get creative with there bikes.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I was thinking of doing the fork white, but being that the 888's for years have been white... Also the place I got the stickers made didn't have the blue sticker "paper". I figured I'd keep it simple by going mono!

demo8razor

Monkey
Mar 31, 2008
electric city, i met you in cedar the other day when your frame was still apart, how much time and work did that take you? did you blast the frame? basically i would like to paint or pc my bike, if paint with tons of clear for protection

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
electric city, i met you in cedar the other day when your frame was still apart, how much time and work did that take you? did you blast the frame? basically i would like to paint or pc my bike, if paint with tons of clear for protection
How's it goin'? Did you get any tires yet? Man, the Maxxis 2.5's look like XC tires anymore. Anyway

It took a long time to strip and blast this frame. I used 70 grit which sounds abrassive, but it was barely taking the paint off. I went to a Strip Kleen stripper that they recommended which usually works, but this was barely working on it. IDK what IH used to paint last years bike but it was VERY strong. I didn't think it was PC'd... Was it? This frame took around 15 hrs or so to strip!:crazy:

Most will only take about an hour. Two at the most.

Most frames I did in the past I used the Aircraft Remover that you get in the paint section of Advanced Auto or such. Before you use stripper thou, contact Strip Kleen about what you're doing. They actually recommend a specific stripper when I contacted them so the aluminum won't weaken. I bought it but forgot what it was off hand.

After stripping I blasted the frame lightly so it was all uniform. I used a prep spray that removes dirt, dust and oils. I tape off the head tube, seat tube where the clamp goes and places that the bearings went. Next was the priming. Use self etching primer. When you're done priming, use red Scotchbrite to scuff the frame. Again use the Prep spray. The paint was purchased in Carbondale at TNT auto paint. Decals were made to specs at Laser Graphics in Eynon. My buddy painted it and I waited about 2 hrs to put the decals on. The paint at this time is dry to the touch. After 2 hrs of decaling and pinstriping Rich sprayed a tack coat of clear in the hard to reach places. He mixed a second round of clear but mixed in the mirror flake. It's so fine it's like dust. The clear was done in about 25 minutes and we let it sit overnight.

Remember this. Once you start, there's no turning back! If I knew it would take that long to strip I would have just have re-done the fork.

ttyl, EC

demo8razor

Monkey
Mar 31, 2008
cool thanks, i would like to do mine, but i don't want to start then have it be a pain, i have a demo 8, any idea how their paint usually is? and air craft stripper has been recommended before by other people for other uses, i guess it works do you have a blaster, or is theres someone in nepa that does that? also, being that its a specialized, does cedar have the bearing tools for it? if i take it that apart?