Quantcast

Fresh V-box pics

wood-dog

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
the mid-west armpit!
I have to admit that I like the looks of it but then again it is a suntour componet so chances are that it is going to flop just like all of their other parts. But who knows.... maybe they actually have some decent engineers designing thier stuff now. Just take a look at their 7 inch travel fork

That sucker is going to put them on the map! :D:

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
hmmm anybody see anything wrong with this picture. i mean its a dh fork with 7" of travel. it is geard towards the more extreme athelets in our sport aka: dhillers and freeriders. although i see one slight problem. where is the 20mm threw axel. yeh the day i run a sr suntor component is the day i stop biking.:rolleyes:

SOil

Chimp
Jun 24, 2005
Is that their own design from scratch or based on the G-Boxx (even the name is similar)

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Port Coquitlam, B.C., Canada
SOil said:
Is that their own design from scratch or based on the G-Boxx (even the name is similar)
G-BOXX-1 ; G-BOXX-2 and SRSuntour ...??
Dear Karl,
I am reading these days a lot about the Suntour gearbox and the GBOXX-1 and now the GBOXX-2 . Can you explain the differences ?? And what the heck is Universal transmissions ?

thanks.
best reg. ..................

Hi ........
this is a long story....

We started in 1999 to develop the G-BOXX-1. The G-BOXX-1 is using 14 speed Rohloff technology and went through different stages of evolution. The 2007 issue of the G-BOXX-1 is available in Juli and compatible to the GCON standard. For technical data and pictures please be patient and keep an eye on www.g-boxx.com.

Since 2002 I was designing a total new technical solution reg. bicycle gearboxes. This design is called V-BOX and it is coming close to a motocycle gearbox. It is using spurgears on different shafts. It is not using chains or a planetary system inside. I patented this system and gave an exclusive licence to the Company SRSuntour in the year 2005. SRSuntour is planing to manufacture and distribute this great gearbox system.

In 2005 I had a good idea to simplify the G-BOXX-1 system and we started the work on the G-BOXX-2. We had to goal to lower the price, weight and number of gears. The first results are very positive and we push the G-BOXX-2 product forward to send out samples in Summer.
This G-BOXX-2 gearbox not using Rohloff parts anymore.

So G-BOXX-2 will not cancel the G-BOXX-1 ...... more or less they are brothers .....Both brothers will be distributed by my own company UNIVERSAL TRANSMISSIONS.

best reg
Karl Nicolai
www.g-boxx.com
posted by G-boxx Techtalk at 5:04 AM

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
freeloda said:
that sooks so much heavier why not just runs a traditional derailleur that works just fine
There are lots of advantages to be achieved from a central transmission:
1. Less un-sprung mass means better suspension performance
2. More reliable shifting even in mud and sand
3. Centralized mass makes for a better handling bike
4. No more derailleur to get ripped off the back of the bike
5. Easier to design efficient pedaling suspension around one chainline
6. Should require very little maintenance and adjustment
7. I’m sure there are others I’m just not thinking of

At this time the problems with internal transmission systems seem to be weight, cost, drag, and having to completely redesign frames to be compatible. However, it is the future and I applaud Nicolai for continuing to pursue this technology.

If you want to see something cool check out bcdracing.com. Alex Morgan did a cool centrally mounted cassette and rear derailleur years ago.

THEDUDE

Chimp
Dec 27, 2003
Hmmmmm.. Looks a lot like the Honda trans. What ever happend to the stolen bikes?. hhmmmm

just a joke please dont take sersiouly.

Wilhelm

Monkey
Aug 10, 2003
According to the 2007 "SR Suntour" catalog (http://www.srsuntour-tuning-base.com/PDF/SRS-catalog07-low.pdf), the total gear range of the 9 speed "V-BOXX-FR9" is 610%. The gear ratios are 0.63, 0.88, 1.29, 1.45, 1.67, 1.80, 2.33, 2.96, 3.84. The weight with crank arms is 3,0 kg. The chainring as well as the sprocket sizes are each 22 teeth.

A little off-topic: The 2006 fork model "SF-CONDOR-TA" as shown above is no longer in the SR Suntour product range, according to the 2007 catalog. However, this fork has an adjustable travel range between 70 and 150 mm (not 7"). It is not intended for freeride but rather for all mountain/enduro use. The adjustable air suspension fork was engineered by "Bionicon" (http://www.bionicon.com) as part of their on-the-fly adjustable "AeroLink" integrated chassis. The "Bionicon BF 1.0" fork is available with a fully adjustable travel of 60-135 mm as well as 70-150mm (http://www.bionicon.com/standard.xml?vpID=233&SID=1156538322_c592000000003260bc05). One of the differences to the SR Suntour version is the adjustable, very light Bionicon "Twin-lock" bar direct-mount system. New for 2007 is the 100-200 mm fully adjustable coil/air sprung "Double Agent" upside down fork for true freeride use, with 35 mm inner legs, a hughe-diameter thru-axle (it looks at least as hughe like the 30 mm axle of the "Foes F1 XTD" downhill fork) and a propriatary integrated hub (http://www.bionicon.com/standard.xml?vpID=363&SID=1156538322_c592000000003260bc05).

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Wilhelm said:
According to the 2007 "SR Suntour" catalog (http://www.srsuntour-tuning-base.com/PDF/SRS-catalog07-low.pdf), the total gear range of the 9 speed "V-BOXX-FR9" is 610%. The gear ratios are 0.63, 0.88, 1.29, 1.45, 1.67, 1.80, 2.33, 2.96, 3.84. The weight with crank arms is 3,0 kg. The chainring as well as the sprocket sizes are each 22 teeth.
).
WOW that XC range, i wish rohloff or this unit would have been
dh only 6 speed or so with a 250% or so range.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
EVRAC said:
Agreed. That's too big a range for DH.
I'm a bit disapointed.
But there is nothing to keep the enterprising mechanic from modifying the vbox and a shifter to achieve excatly what they want. First production gearbox from a major manufacturer is a very big milestone in cycling. Things can and will only get better from here!

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
SuspectDevice said:
But there is nothing to keep the enterprising mechanic from modifying the vbox and a shifter to achieve excatly what they want. First production gearbox from a major manufacturer is a very big milestone in cycling. Things can and will only get better from here!

till we crack the case who know? lol

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Port Coquitlam, B.C., Canada
SuspectDevice said:
Agreed again.
This is a big first step.

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
That thing looks pretty rad to me...

The rear shock mounting point looks a tad wonky but, hey.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
So far the designs I've seen use the V-Boxx as a stessed-unit part of the frame. Anyone seen any ideas yet nesting it in a frame cradle that doesn't depend on the box for a frame member?

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
There's that too :D

So far the designs I've seen use the V-Boxx as a stessed-unit part of the frame. Anyone seen any ideas yet nesting it in a frame cradle that doesn't depend on the box for a frame member
why the hell would you want to do that, it would be such a waste of material, the things weigh enough as it is.