Quantcast

~~Friday 6/20~~

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
last night i saw one of the most moving and memorable concerts in my ~25 years of gig-going...

Sun City Girls brothers Rick and Alan Bishop paid tribute to their late 'adopted brother' Charlie Gocher by taking the 'Brothers Unconnected' tour on the road. Charlie died of cancer in feb of '07, and the brothers decided to close the chapter on the band in the most fitting way possible. there was a showing of a bunch of short films that Charlie directed and shot, followed by two sets of music, both Alan and Rick playing acoustic guitar, and playing some of their SCG songs for the final time (in front of a large projected image of Charlie). after the first set, Alan took a small ornate canister and poured some of Charlie's ashes into his hand, walked to the edge of the stage, and sprinkled/tossed them into the seated theater crowd.

the second set was filled w/ more fury and cross-eyed rants as compared to the first w/ even Paul Pierce getting named-checked in 'an eyeball in a quart jar of snot.'

i can't expect many people to know about this band (though they have been highly active since 1983), or feel even a fraction of the emotion i have towards them, and they are certainly not for everyone. the only time i ever got to see the full band was in 1992, and they made another exceedingly rare tour in '04, but i was living in ireland at the time and missed it. it was a great celebration of all the band stood for.

edit - in case you are curious, here's an interview i did w/ Rick thirteen years ago:
http://www.furious.com/perfect/suncitygirlsinterview.html