Quantcast

friday gfmt

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
The suck of heavy snow made me climb up to the roof and shovel drainage paths, there is about 2 inches of super wet snow on the roof but most of the snow on the ground had already melted. The entire 50' X 75' roof slopes to the center and drains through a single 3" pipe. Building codes were pretty slack in the 1920s.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
It arrived yesterday, It's pretty, the saddle looks like a torture device, the cable routing looks like an L.A. Freeway, I think she weighs about 31 pounds and setting the shock sag is a 2 person job.

I posted a picture yesterday, was thinking about taking more pictures of the interesting bits.
The ADA approves of this message.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Local shop has an e.thirteen Le Toy III 24 frame lying around.
E13 did have anything to do with that frame but that sure is a relic.

Brilliant weather for this weekend and I got a sweet mtb ride lined up for tomorrow morning.

@Serial Midget bike looks amazing. I have a WTB Silverado on mine and its very comfortable. Oh and I like the 70s glass and the other stuff on the table behind the bike. Half of the Lounge is look at the glass and asking themselves if they are bongs or how they could be turned into bongs :)

Last edited:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
E13 did have anything to do with that frame but that sure is a relic.

Brilliant weather for this weekend and I got a sweet mtb ride lined up for tomorrow morning.

@Serial Midget bike looks amazing. I have a WTB Silverado on mine and its very comfortable. Oh and I like the 70s glass and the other stuff on the table behind the bike. Half of the Lounge is look at the glass and asking themselves if they are bongs or how they could be turned into bongs :)
They are Blenko glass from the 60s & 70s, Glass blowing is cool to me so I collect large pieces of glass.

Here is the my new small Sensor in front of my old medium Sugar, the size looks similar but the reach is 2.5" shorter. The Sensor wheelbase is 2" longer, \tire to tire its 3" inches longer with 1" less BB height.
View media item 2787The bars as spec'd are not crowded, I initially thought I would need to cut them but the extra reach seems to be enough.
View media item 2788Setting the sag will take an additional set of eyeballs, you cant see what you need to see, I'm more likely to play with the pressure to find my happy spot. The first picture is upside down.
View media item 2791View media item 2789The cable routing is not as bad as I'd imagined, as you can see from my other bikes I have no fear of zip ties and may not be the best judge of effective routing...
View media item 2790My first ride isn't likely to happen before Tuesday of next week, its sloppy wet out there.

Edit - weight is 27.5 without sealant, maybe more or less as I used the bathroom scales method. The Sugar weighs 32.5 also without sealant.

Last edited:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
getting sorted??
Yep.

Turns out when the usable range of air pressure in your fork is only about 10psi, adding or removing 2 of those psi is a huge deal. Still a bit concerned it'll blow through all the travel on bigger hits, but if I can get that to a reasonably consistent / expected state of behaviour I'll be real happy.

That said, I still think I prefer the RC2 damper over this FIT4 thing. Man alive that 36 RC2 I had on the last bike was the money sauce. #firstworldproblems

Finally embracing the dark side of running the rear shock in "open" at all times, although at the firmest of the open settings. Air pressure is also a big deal there, I've settled on a fat kid friendly 210 psi I think. I also trimmed the bars down to a svelt 780mm wide and figured out the noise coming from the cranks... livin' la vida bueno I tell you what.

Last edited:

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Constructive criticism is just that... did you ask him to comment on your work or ask him to compare the two? Either way it should wait until Monday since your work week is done. :)
The conversation ended up being quite brief.

"I understand your point about trying keep it relevant to radiology, but frankly my current version is full of that, more so than your paper."

"Ok. I will take a stab at revising it next week to illustrate my point and get back to you."

Works for me, since I don't think my own shit stinks. :D

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Yep.

Turns out when the usable range of air pressure in your fork is only about 10psi, adding or removing 2 of those psi is a huge deal. Still a bit concerned it'll blow through all the travel on bigger hits
I think you can adjust the volume to get a more progressive feel in the new Float. That sounds like what you're looking for.

I wasn't satisfied with this Pike until I reduced the air volume, holy cats it feels great now. I did the same to the rear monarch too.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I think you can adjust the volume to get a more progressive feel in the new Float. That sounds like what you're looking for.

I wasn't satisfied with this Pike until I reduced the air volume, holy cats it feels great now. I did the same to the rear monarch too.
Alex at GBS has offered me "a handful of tokens" to stick in there... and yes I agree that reducing the volume is what I'm looking for. This new FIT4 is very Pike-like from what I hear tell. Similar adjustments, similar need for volume reducing when the pilot is more than skinny and less than slow, etc.

Starting to shop for a travel trailer, which is pretty fun. Lots of options...
I had one of those once... got dayum money pit.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Ideally 19-20 foot, bunkhouse with one slideout. Kinda middle of the road. Small enough for putting into 'tighter' camping spots around the west. Mostly for southern Utah adventures, but we plan on a week in the PNW as well...

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
What kinds of costs did you run up against?
Honestly it was a money pit of my own doing. I didn't do any research prior to purchase, bought something from a teammates dad that was pretty much a pile of shit, and didn't really think through all the costs associated. My intent for the travel trailer was to use it as lodging at mountain bike races, in the place of getting hotels or condos. But the cost of purchasing it, storing it, towing it, and generally maintaining it turned out to be more than just going in on condos with teammates. And me and my ladyfriend at the time didn't use it for anything else, we preferred to camp when not going to the races. So it was mostly just not the right fit for what I was doing. Taking in to consideration all those costs, but having a family that would enjoy the trailer, would make all the difference.

Honestly it was a money pit of my own doing. I didn't do any research prior to purchase, bought something from a teammates dad that was pretty much a pile of shit, and didn't really think through all the costs associated. My intent for the travel trailer was to use it as lodging at mountain bike races, in the place of getting hotels or condos. But the cost of purchasing it, storing it, towing it, and generally maintaining it turned out to be more than just going in on condos with teammates. And me and my ladyfriend at the time didn't use it for anything else, we preferred to camp when not going to the races. So it was mostly just not the right fit for what I was doing. Taking in to consideration all those costs, but having a family that would enjoy the trailer, would make all the difference.
This is what has stopped me. Given the amount of time I'd actually use a travel trailer, the expense and effort of owning one would far exceed what it'd cost to rent one when I want to use it.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
We plan on using it every three weeks or so in good weather windows. Wifey is a CPA, she crunched the numbers and found this preferable, especially with a few week long adventures. Luckily we can store it in the driveway...

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I had a 5th Wheel for awhile... we kept it on our lake property and didn't use it very much. It was swank with all the bells and whistles but turned out to be way too much committent. If it looked like freezing weather we'd have to make a special trip to turn the heat on or drain the pipes. The first summer was great though...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Happy weekend fellas.

Beer in hand and about to make some awesome pasta. Hopefully I get a good nights sleep, so that I can do an awesome hike tomorrow.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Wife and I managed to sneak in a ride before snowpocalypseageddon.

Will be the last ride for a while...

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Finally embracing the dark side of running the rear shock in "open" at all times, although at the firmest of the open settings. Air pressure is also a big deal there, I've settled on a fat kid friendly 210 psi I think. I also trimmed the bars down to a svelt 780mm wide and figured out the noise coming from the cranks... livin' la vida bueno I tell you what.
I run my at 785mm but I have moved my shifter and brakes in a little bit so going uphill I can hold further in on the bar but still all the way out when going down hill.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
thanks for all the kind words this morning guys, it really helped me get through a bad ass funk of a morning shift. I was really beating myself up over this. what did I miss as an EMT that I should have seen ( mammals are mammals similar signs and symptoms. you guys kept me from really losing it. Then the wife pointed out that even if I had caught something a few weeks ago, his heart was already enlarged and damaged and was going to go sooner rather than later and only an echocardiogram years ago would have possibly made any difference. That put things into perspective. you guys rock. and Squeeb both Ruth and I really appreciated the quote you posted, thank you.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
I have vowed to never purchase a second house, RV or trailer, plane or helicopter, or boat.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
no vacation shack in the woods to clear the good doctors thoughts?

sad panda is sad.
All that stuff is easily available for rent in this era of websites for everything. Variety is good.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
On an RV. I use my slide into the bed Lance camper at least every other weekend, either horse shows with the wife, fishing trips, biking, what have you. Anyplace I can park the truck and I am good to go. No storage fees as the sucker lives on the truck 99% of the time, no second set of tires to replace. In 6 years the only upkeep costs have been in the few hundred dollar range. No way in hell I would want a travel trailer, Fifth wheel or big motorhome.

Last edited:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Life is much simpler with no (human) rugrats in the home. I envy your freedom in that regard.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
We thought about that route, but two factors. Those are really tight for a family, and my truck bed is only 5.5 feet. (The one drawback to the F150...)
yeah you really need a 350/3500 to carry a camper big enough for a family of 4. You can find nice campers for short beds but long beds give you mor options as do duallys vs single rear wheel trucks