Quantcast

front and rear tire

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I've seen alot of people with different front tires than rear usally the front is wider right whats a good front tire for rocky, rooty, and muddy also dry dusty XC and rear to go with it.
thanks

LostBoyScout

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Vancouver BC
That's a pretty wide array of conditions, and the problem is one tire can't excel at all - but I would get one more geared for the rooty and muddy stuff, since that's where a poor performing tire will cause more trouble.

My suggestion is IRC Mythos XC 2.1's - the front and rear combo. They are quite knobby and grip really well but don't weight a ton. Plus they have matching red sidewalls so the bike looks fly, too :cool:

I am running Michelin Wildgrippers right now and don't like em as much as my old Mythos.

RaID

Turbo Monkey
If you wanted to go for a slightly bigger tyre i would recommend the Maxxis High Roller for front, gives you the wider and good grip of a DHish tyre yet still low roling resistance i ran one on the front very happy with it

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
continental Vertical Pro 2.3 or Explorer Pro 2.1 (same tread pattern different weight and width) in the front.

continental Survival Pro 2.1 or 2.3 rear

This is my favorite combo and I dont plan on changing any time soon. I have tried to find a better all around setup but I just dont think it exists.

- JB

I like the Panaracer Fire XC pro tires. I use the 2.1 size and they have never let me down. You can get them bigger or smaller depending on what you like. They are my favorite all-around tire.
In really abusive conditions I like the IRC Kujo DH in a 2.25 size. They roll fairly well and they have a tough side wall. Once again they are offered in bigger sizes if you require more tire for your usage.
Ask around and see what works for other people in your area.

novice

Chimp
Aug 8, 2001
Madison, WI
i'm really digging my michelin wildgripper comp s's right now for rocks, roots, and mud. I've had velociraptors and mythos, and so far I prefer the wildgripper for everyday riding. So far they are the best performing tire for mud I've had. They cut through the slop quite well, and shed mud almost as fast as you ca ride through it. The other tires I mentioned had problems with packing mud in them, after a mud pit I'd be left with a slick tire because all of the spaces betweent the knobs were filled with mud. By the way, I live in Wisconsin, were the mud I ride in is a large part clay, this is the mud that sticks to everything and just cakes your bike. But these tires kinda suck in dusty conditions, haven't had much experience in those conditions, but the cornering grip didn't inspire confidence. Hope that helps a little.

1speed

Chimp
Oct 1, 2001
boulder
I have been riding the mutano or motoraptor 2.4 on the front and love it. I just found a motoraptor 2.4 kevlar for 19.99 at pricepoint. They have smaller sizes too.This tire would probably be better in your area. I ride it here and love it. it stays hooked in turns like you would not believe. Go for something a little smaller in the rear like IRC backcountry 2.25 or a nice true 2.1 rear. the vertical pro 2.3 is a very nice tire as well.

1speed

Chimp
Oct 1, 2001
boulder
if you are riding a lot of mud, you may want to size down a little. when I lived back east I liked a 2.1 frt or 2.25, and 2.0 or even 1.9 rear if it was real muddy spring type conditions. like someone else was saying, for mud you really need a tread pattern that is not going to pack with mud.

since I have been in CO. the dry conditions allow for many variations in tires. The wider tires just plain rip IMO. I'm not a weight weenie when it comes to something like tires so the extra beef is well worth it. If you are racing , maybe a faster tire but for everyday riding I love to know that I will be fully confident in the corners.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Originally posted by golgiaparatus
continental Vertical Pro 2.3 or Explorer Pro 2.1 (same tread pattern different weight and width) in the front.

continental Survival Pro 2.1 or 2.3 rear

This is my favorite combo and I dont plan on changing any time soon. I have tried to find a better all around setup but I just dont think it exists.

- JB
I second this motion.

The combo worked for me in the desert, yet also works in the wet in my limited experience and the testimony of many others.

MD

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
Originally posted by LostBoyScout
That's a pretty wide array of conditions, and the problem is one tire can't excel at all - but I would get one more geared for the rooty and muddy stuff, since that's where a poor performing tire will cause more trouble.

My suggestion is IRC Mythos XC 2.1's - the front and rear combo. They are quite knobby and grip really well but don't weight a ton. Plus they have matching red sidewalls so the bike looks fly, too :cool:

I am running Michelin Wildgrippers right now and don't like em as much as my old Mythos.
i tried the mythos and i love them, except i got pinchflats(not related to the type of tire). do they make them in tubeless?

Shencycle

Chimp
Aug 15, 2002
NY
Originally posted by MikeD

I second this motion.

The combo worked for me in the desert, yet also works in the wet in my limited experience and the testimony of many others.

MD
Yep, 3rd it, I have also been playing around with the survival pro in the front....etc...:monkey:

:cool: :cool: :cool: