Quantcast

Front brake cable through steerer Q

Jul 2, 2008
NJ
If I run the brake cable through the steerer, will the housing wear-out prematurely with a 100mm fork?

This is on a HT freeride bike + an Argyle, but I figured you guys would have more experience. Not intending to do a lot of barspinning, but on occasion I'll fool around a little and the cable-routing is almost the same...

Tom P.

mtbr41

Chimp
Jul 2, 2008
Yes, you should be able to but make sure your rear brake and shifting cables are long enough so you can do barspins

nwd_26

Monkey
Nov 29, 2007
Toronto, Onterrible
Make sure to bevel the inside of the topcap slightly. With Hayes MX-2 (****ty cable + housing) and an unbevelled topcap, the housing wore through in a matter of months. A friend with Avid BB7s has the same problem.

I bevelled the topcap and got Deore hydraulic brakes, and never had the problem again.

Jul 2, 2008
NJ
By topcap, do you mean the hollow bolt? That's were it looks like abrasion will take place. I'll pull that bolt and check it really well. I thik it's milled inside for a 6mm hex wrench, so it may not be smooth enough.

Dremmel time...

Thanks guys,

Tom P.

Jul 2, 2008
NJ
Here is what I did:
Twizzle_Straw.jpg

Yes, that's a flexible drink straw! I tried fighting a piece of shrink tubing on there, but that quickly became futile. The drink straw is actually pretty durable, and very low friction.

The only downside, the brakes feel terrible, probably due to the bend going to the stem. I may just revert to a standard cable route (this bike is a lot heavier than I thought it would be...I don't think I'll be whipping it.).

Tom P.