Quantcast

Frozen all the time...

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
So can anyone tell me why my computer freezes when I play games or try to defrag the disk? I have an HP with 866mhz, 256ram and 40 gb hard drive...I just installled XP and a new modem but I don't know what to do. A friend of mine suggested more memory. I just wanted to get a few more opnions before I bought extra memory. thanks in advance....D

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
just a shot in the dark i never post here because i'm totally unqualified and never browse either.....

BUT

i had similiar problems, became progressively worse. had a "scritching" noise from my harddrive. Turns out my IBM Deskstar had a bug where it reread an error and would scratch the hell out of itself. i guess computer nerds call em "Deathstars". If that's the case move everything to a new hard drive and use that for your primary.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Well, it could be your lack of RAM. I think we've gotten to the point that 256MB is not enough to run the latest operating systems plus any software on top of it. Upgrade to the most you can install/afford and see what happens.

More RAM is never a bad thing. Just make sure you get compatable sticks (contact HP to find out exactly what type you need).

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
a lack of ram would not cause the computer to freeze. you might have bad ram (try swapping out with other ram sticks if you have access to them), or something might have gone wrong with the hard drive as skookum notes. or you just might be up for a reinstall -- this seems pretty common with windows :D

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Toshi said:
a lack of ram would not cause the computer to freeze. you might have bad ram (try swapping out with other ram sticks if you have access to them), or something might have gone wrong with the hard drive as skookum notes. or you just might be up for a reinstall -- this seems pretty common with windows :D
hmm...I don't have any other RAM sticks so I will head over to the local 'puter shop and see what I can find....D

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
It is likely 2 or 3 things causing this, or a combination of all of them....

O.S. Needs a reinstall. Yup, this is common and standard with windows. Especially on mass produced machines. They don't take the time to tweak as they go along.

More RAM, or replacing your current RAM. Playing games demands a lot of your system. Trying to do memory intensive operations on 256 megs of (probably) generic ram can lead to lock ups. (Though it is usually a combination of this and say, your O.S. needing a reinstall.)

You have software that is not playing well with each other. Either applications or device software (drivers or configuration). Incorrectly configured IRQ's can lead to lock ups.

If you are going to game, get more RAM. More RAM is the single greatest thing you can do to improve the performance of your PC. More so than getting a faster procesor. I would recommend a MINIMUM of 512 for standard computing (web surfing, e-mail, etc.) and a full GIG if you are gaming. It sounds like alot but you buy it once and you will be really happy with how your machine just zips along.

I would also recommend reblasting your PC. If Windows has been up and runnig for 6 months or more, it's probably due for it anyway.

Hope this helps!

Ciaran... Who does this stuff for a living, so yeah, you can trust him.

SLAYER2003

Monkey
May 1, 2003
Bellingham, WA
If your computer is only an 866mhz, chances are that its current motherboard cannot even handle anymore RAM. Unless you have a newer mobo that you could run more RAM in, then I do not know why you would have an 866mhz cpu in it. The computer that you are describing in todays world is worth about $250 and will not handle todays newer games.

If you buy more RAM and/or hard drive, you will spend a couple hundred, so instead, spend $500 and get a whole new system that will handle anything you throw at it.

Todays newer games require more RAM and also more Video RAM. If it "locks up" during new games, but plays older games fine, it is not enough RAM and/or cpu in your case and/or video card. The latest drivers for your card could also be downloaded and installed which could help if it is just graphic card errors.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
hmm. my 800 mhz computer handles 1.5 gb of ram just fine :P hehe. of course, it's a mac...

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Toshi said:
hmm. my 800 mhz computer handles 1.5 gb of ram just fine :P hehe. of course, it's a mac...

Yeah, one of my PC's is an AMD athlon 850, it has 500 megs of DDR 333 RAM, with another slot on the mobo for more (Shuttle motherboard). Older mobos may not handle more than 2 or 3 sticks, and an older OS can't handle more than 512 sometimes, but the processor can handle it.

Ciaran...

P.S. A mac??? Ack! Unclean! Unclean! ;)

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Well I bought more RAM (384) my computer can only handle 512... and it still freezes. When I had XP installed everything else was installed as well...we had to because of a virus...so I think it's time for a new 'puter. I can get a really powerful new one from my job...so I will see what I can find....but if anyone else has anymore input please share...D

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
It could just be overheating. Open the case and check the fans are not broken/cloged with dust.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
fan is broken but I cleaned all the dust out...do you think the fan could really have that much impact on the computer freezing?.....D

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
I think there is a good chance it is the problem as the lockups happen during games and defrag which are both processor intensive.

You could try leaveing the cover off and aiming a fan in the case. Pretty much any old fan like a desk fan will do. If that stops the lockups then the broken fan was the problem. They are fairly cheap to replace.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
ok I bought a new fan (6.99) and it will not come on...so I'm thinking the problem may be larger...I'm about 10 seconds away from buying a new computer...D

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
BMXman said:
ok I bought a new fan (6.99) and it will not come on...so I'm thinking the problem may be larger...I'm about 10 seconds away from buying a new computer...D
Freezing, no power to the fan (by the way, which fan is it? CPU fan, case fan?)... Might be your motherboard. Where in So Cal are you, and what kind of PC do you have? AMD, Pentium? I might be able to help you out with parts and such. Also, how much are you planning on speding if you buy a new PC? I can get you a Pentium 4, 2.6 ghz, 512 RAM for a good price. Send me an e-mail if your interisted. ciaran@punkduck.com

Ciaran

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Well here's the best deal I have found so far.

AMD XP 2400 CPU
Deluxe ATX UL listed tower case
3D shared AGP video
Sony 52X CD-ROM drive
Sony 52x24x52 CDRW
1.44 mb 3.5" floppy drive
80 GB Hitachi 7200 RPM hard drive
Davicom 10/100 fast ethernet
3D PCI wavetable sound
1 serial, parallel, 2 USB
512 MB ram
Windows XP Office edition

all for 375.00...I'm not sure of everything as I'm doing more research but it was recommended to me by our tech guy here at work....D