Quantcast

FSA Carbon BMX Cranks, ? for BCD or others

tsamps

Chimp
May 6, 2007
I saw that BCD uses them and I am really interested in the FSA Carbon BMX Cranks for use on my bike. What i need to know is what kind of bottom bracket it uses (isis, exo, ect.?) and if it can be used with an 83mm bottom bracket shell bike? Thanks

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
its isis

google fsa carbon bmx cranks and you will get a few online stores you could check the sizes there, if no 83mm theres nothing to stop u buying an 83mm BB and using their crank arms. There a decent price too..

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
i have used the same pair for 4 years now.

i can't say that for any alum crank under 600g.

i use 83mm fsa isis and fsa bmx 110.

thats the only draw back is 110 bcd.

tsamps

Chimp
May 6, 2007
yea, the 110 thing is a bit of a bummer. Are there much choices for chainrings? Ive been thinking about these because they have to be super strong for bmx, and they are light to boot.

It sounds like a cool idea initially... i'm assuming the carbon cranks are probably geared towards bmx racing... well, there's no rocks to gouge them while bmx racing.... I think I would think twice about putting them on a dh rig cause the cranks are bound to get scraped, scratched and gouged on rocks... Carbon doesn't do will if it's gouged through the clear coat... Clear coat is what protects the carbon from water damage... I suppose if you're dilligent on putting clear fingernail polish over any scratches in the clear coat, it would be ok, but sounds like that might be a major pain... just something to think about...

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Ive got them on my bike now with a FSA Isis 83 x 128mm BB. I wish i bought the 165mm instead of the 170s. They seem plenty strong for me at 170 lbs and a known plower. The 110 bcd wasnt a problem at all for me just buy your chainrings at a bmx shop. I did however have to grind the inside of my lg-1 down a bit to get them to work out.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
It sounds like a cool idea initially... i'm assuming the carbon cranks are probably geared towards bmx racing... well, there's no rocks to gouge them while bmx racing.... I think I would think twice about putting them on a dh rig cause the cranks are bound to get scraped, scratched and gouged on rocks... Carbon doesn't do will if it's gouged through the clear coat... Clear coat is what protects the carbon from water damage... I suppose if you're dilligent on putting clear fingernail polish over any scratches in the clear coat, it would be ok, but sounds like that might be a major pain... just something to think about...
...and the epoxy its bonded with.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
It sounds like a cool idea initially... I think I would think twice about putting them on a dh rig cause the cranks are bound to get scraped, scratched and gouged on rocks... Carbon doesn't do will if it's gouged through the clear coat... Clear coat is what protects the carbon from water damage... I suppose if you're dilligent on putting clear fingernail polish over any scratches in the clear coat, it would be ok, but sounds like that might be a major pain... just something to think about...
hahahaha, man how the public is diluted about carbon.

so here is the beef about carbon in a nut shell.

think of metal has one solid glass tube. it fatigues it cracks.

think as carbon as thousands of glass tubes starting and
ending everywhere along the length of a part.
say you NEED 10k of individual carbon strands to handle
a certain max load. fsa and with my frames, make
them 2x that! i have 1/8 gouges in my cranks with no
failure. b/c they are designed to take a beating and still
have enough fibers to handle max loads.

fsa cranks just match light alum
stuff, but are way stiffer and stronger.
when carbon parts break is when they pinch off all the fat
and reduce the weight. you will know when you pick up
a part that is built that way. http://www.londoncyclesport.com/news/article/mps/uan/1151

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
The only issue with these nice light cranks, and the sexy ISIS middleburns- is finding a lightweight, reliable bb. By the time you do all this stuffing around a set of shimano cranks are close to the same weight and a bunch cheaper no?