Quantcast

FSA MegaExo 83mm crankset 794g

coma13

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2006
i've got a set of those beautiful things in my room waiting to bolt up as we speak!

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
whats the green thing do?
Its an installation aid for the non drive side bottom bracket cup so that the seal wont' come off in installing the driveside crank.

Its for "ham fisted mechanics" that slam the driveside/spindle through and pop the seal off the non drive side cup.

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
whats the green thing do?
On sicklines they said it was a spacer...I followed the directions for my Gravity MegaExo's but I definitely still have that thing sitting in a drawer somewhere. I hope I didn't mess it all up.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
On sicklines they said it was a spacer...I followed the directions for my Gravity MegaExo's but I definitely still have that thing sitting in a drawer somewhere. I hope I didn't mess it all up.
It was a typo, its fixed and you don't need it outside of using it as an installation aid.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
i have had a set for a little bit of time now (4 months) they are stiff like the saints are that is for sure. the bb is much more burly than the saints. as for the arm durability is seems pretty damn good but i don't have too much riding on them let.

all in all i really like them. btw i don't think all of them have the removable granny spider thing. mine didn't atleast. at the same time though i have not had a problem with installing my guide.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
i have had a set for a little bit of time now (4 months) they are stiff like the saints are that is for sure. the bb is much more burly than the saints. as for the arm durability is seems pretty damn good but i don't have too much riding on them let.

all in all i really like them. btw i don't think all of them have the removable granny spider thing. mine didn't atleast. at the same time though i have not had a problem with installing my guide.
Sounds ike you've got the GAP's. These haven't been out and are an 08 product.

MouseMonkey

Monkey
Jul 29, 2006
Salt Lake City
They are available now. I have a set of the 170mm on my wife's trail bike, and I nabbed a pair of 165mm for my street bike. Being able to remove the inner ring spacer is a sweet feature if you don't have a lot of room for your chainguide.

Big improvement over the ISIS version, better pedal inserts, integrated arm/spider is quite a bit stiffer. Oh, and they look wicked. The ISIS version always looked a little nerdy.

vpfree05

Chimp
May 21, 2006
I'll be getting a set of these. The only thing i could get in the OCT was 170 and 175 for some gay reason. That and these look so sweet. I hope they are stronger then the XTs i was running last year. I bent the none drive side and tore the threadsout a week after that. It was pretty nice especially when it happens in a foreign country. Good thing for me was shimano parts are about half the price most other places in the world. Just hard to get hold of.

MouseMonkey

Monkey
Jul 29, 2006
Salt Lake City
Well, one thing they are NOT designed to be is bombproof. It's a lightweight crank for DH race day or AM use... keep that in mind. It will be interesting to see how they survive "everyday use" on big bikes. I am optimistic that they will be pretty durable.

If a fella wants something that won't ever bend, there are lots of other options available. But if you want something light that might survive a few hard knocks, the GL might be the crank. So stoked on the 83mm version and I don't even have an 83mm bike anymore! Heh.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
Well shoot. I've got a set of brand new Saints never installed that were going to go on my M3 build, being as it hasn't shipped yet, I've still got time to order up a set of those cranks and help keep the weight down even more.

Ceramic MegaExo with that crank. I'm set.

-Kevin

RedOne

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Nuremberg, Germany
If i'm right the MegaExo Gravity Lights weigh a bit more than the ISIS version.

Gravity Light ISIS + 128mm FSA Platinum DH: 733g
Gravity Light Megaexo + BB-cups + BB-sleeve: 803g

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
If i'm right the MegaExo Gravity Lights weigh a bit more than the ISIS version.

Gravity Light ISIS + 128mm FSA Platinum DH: 733g
Gravity Light Megaexo + BB-cups + BB-sleeve: 803g
A Middleburn/Gravity light ISIS setup will be lighter overall

The Gravity Light MegaExo's arms/bb are 794g (+23g for the inner sleeve if you choose to run it) and are the lightest available 83mm two piece cranks that i am aware of.

Weight isn't everything and i'm sure a lot of people agree that they would rather have two piece cranks w/outboard bearings than ISIS cranks, myself included. A mere 61g penalty, i'll take that all day for not having to run ISIS. :) Plenty of other places to save weight.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
http://www.bti-usa.com/list.asp?cat=CB&sec=CBCM&mfr=GA&page=&reuse=1&showSec=0&filter=&searchtype=&showGrp=GA550#open

that is what i have. they are the 2007 gravity cranks. they have changed them up a little bit for 2008 it seems. i didn't notice this when i first posted. they have lightened them up quite a bit it seems by dropping the quad exo bb and having and integrated (sp) spider. i be leave the arms are still the same non the less.

mine are definitely the top end gravity model though. i didn't read the subtitle of the post that is where the confusion came in on my part

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
they have changed them up a little bit for 2008 it seems. i didn't notice this when i first posted. they have lightened them up quite a bit it seems by dropping the quad exo bb and having and integrated (sp) spider. i be leave the arms are still the same non the less.
Nope, totally different cranks.

SpasticJack

Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Can anyone confirm if FSA/Gravity are making more than one crank arm for the different lengths? I had a set of the original FSA Gravity cranks on my 05 Sunday WC that had an extra inch of crank arm below the pedal eyelet because they used the same arm for all 3 sizes of cranks (175mm, 170mm and 165mm arms). The only difference was where they drilled the hole for the pedal. I called them on it and they gave me some halfassed excuse and blew me off. Needless to say I haven't been a fan of FSA since.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
Ian - 259 for the double crank setup 22/32/bash(available now), or 199 for just the armset&bb (not available just yet)

Udi - Dang, you mean you didn't get the set i sent you. Post office guy musta lost it...