Quantcast

FULL Colorado trip report, tons of pictures

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
I finally got back from the beach, its nice to be home. Here is the full report on me and Curiouscaptains trip out to Keystone and Vail.

The first day we were in Denver and we hit the warped tour, it was pretty cool, we drove to keystone that evening. We found the mountain cross course and some stunts near the Keystone lodge after building the bikes.

Day one of DH was at keystone. Here are some shots.

Cowboy up, by far my favorite trail at keystone. I love this kind of stuff.

Right at the beginning of Wild Thing there is this cool turning stunt.

On TNT somewhere. It started thundering that run so we got shut down, 3 runs that day.

Screwin around at the hotel.

Our bikes got rained on when they were sitting on the balcony that evening. I took this laying on the hotel bed.

Next day, more Keystone.

Motorhead, a freakin awesome trail with berms and jumps. This berm is followed by a small double. This is all I took that day. 4 runs.

Wednsday we had a little rest day and didn't buy a lift ticket, the armpump got bad after 2 days at keystone, the braking ruts were pretty bad on a few trails. All we rode Wed. was mountaincross and some singletrack. Here are a bunch of MTX shots.

BIG ass berms

A bunch of the really fun step up.

My favorite shot by far from the trip.

James walking up.

awesome light.

Thursday, we hit Vail. Vail was tons of fun, although some construction at the bottom made for a lame road ride after every run. We got 7 runs in before the lifts stopped.

Here is a drop at the top of the 94 DH trail

On magic forest, one of my favorite trails, lots of cool hips and stuff.

94 DH

another favorite.

Last of vail.

Friday, last day. We rode Keystone again and it was really fun. It was much faster after a week of riding I felt. I took a few final shots. We got 3 runs in before the rain started. We hit 2 normal runs (cowboy up to motorhead etc.) Then we rode over and hit Mosquito Coast once too. Mosquito is a blue but it has some fun sections and a little jump line with 2 sweet doubles.

Motorhead table.

Motorhead little stunt thing.

My duct taped helmet in the woods.

Wild thing.

Wild thing.

Thats it, I had SOOO much fun, you CO guys are lucky. Please post any comments or questions. I really like how resort riding you can take multiple fast runs, then take a chill run and stop for pictures without worrying about messing up your flow since you have been up so many times already. Thanks for looking!

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Say that reminds me... I should go ride Keystone or Vail tomorrow... :D

Sick shots, guys... looks like you all had an AWESOME time!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Full Trucker said:
Say that reminds me... I should go ride Keystone or Vail tomorrow... :D
seeing those pics of Keystone and Vail... man, I hope we get a huge friggin' snow dump in late October. I *love* biking, but... I should move to OR, I hear Mt. Hood is open year round. Oh stop planning the party, I'm not moving.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
LordOpie said:
I should move to OR, I hear Mt. Hood is open year round.
not too much snow on hood, but the parking lot was packed! (no, not the one in the picture, the real lots were behind me and to my left.)

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Yup I think that spot on wild thing is the hardest spot at keystone. It freaked me out the first day but its real fun once I watched someone hit it and figured it out. James flipped and rolled down the mountain there it was sweet.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Bldr_Freerider said:
Good to see you didn't hit Tombstone... I still need to fix my rim from hitting that...
hrrrmmmm... Tombstone, Pinch Flat Rock, or my personal favorite: Bread Loaf. I, for one, LOVE that rock! Only because I figured out the fast line around it the other day. Stupid rock.

And so ya'll know, Keystone is steppin' up: they opened a new trail this weekend and it's WAY bitchin! There's a ton of wide-open fast ski-slope stuff with crazy off-camber turns, a few tight woodsy sections, a goofy wooden 'drop' that if you no-brake into it you'll skip the wood altogether and hit dirt about 15 feet down, some North Shore elevated bridge stuff... it's SO good. I am STOKED for Colorado right now, it's about time one of our resorts got with the program.

Can't wait to see more of you guys out here in the coming years!

Curiouscaptian01

It's not poo
Dec 1, 2003
California
Full Trucker said:
hrrrmmmm... Tombstone, Pinch Flat Rock, or my personal favorite: Bread Loaf. I, for one, LOVE that rock! Only because I figured out the fast line around it the other day. Stupid rock.

And so ya'll know, Keystone is steppin' up: they opened a new trail this weekend and it's WAY bitchin! There's a ton of wide-open fast ski-slope stuff with crazy off-camber turns, a few tight woodsy sections, a goofy wooden 'drop' that if you no-brake into it you'll skip the wood altogether and hit dirt about 15 feet down, some North Shore elevated bridge stuff... it's SO good. I am STOKED for Colorado right now, it's about time one of our resorts got with the program.

Yeah it was really fun. They had approved that trail consturction the first day we bought lift tickets for keystone. Sounds like a sweet trail. And is it true that all the trails at Keystone are made by volunteers?

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Full Trucker said:

Damn thats awesome. Where exactly is that tombstone rock, I wasn't sure if I saw it or not, but I saw plenty of pinch flat rocks for sure :p

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
T-Pirate said:
Damn thats awesome. Where exactly is that tombstone rock, I wasn't sure if I saw it or not, but I saw plenty of pinch flat rocks for sure :p

Tombstone is a ways down the fast section on Loggers, after the little wooden stunt. ~2 ft. long grey-ish rock that's perpendicular to the trail, maybe 4-5" high. At that speed though, if you don't see it coming, it can do some ugly things, as you've seen with my rim. It's definitely a one-time-is-the-last-time kind of things. It gets real sketchy in the loose babyheads afterwards.

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Bldr_Freerider said:
Tombstone is a ways down the fast section on Loggers, after the little wooden stunt. ~2 ft. long grey-ish rock that's perpendicular to the trail, maybe 4-5" high. At that speed though, if you don't see it coming, it can do some ugly things, as you've seen with my rim. It's definitely a one-time-is-the-last-time kind of things. It gets real sketchy in the loose babyheads afterwards.
Yeah I know what you are talking about, I like that section, goood stuff. I like the way keystone sort of alternates from tech to fast cowboy up is slower but way more tech than tnt or loggers but then back to wild thing more tech.

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
Glad you enjoyed hittin up some Colorado DH!!

I love to hit up "Cowboy up" to "Motorhead" to "Loggers Way" to "Punk Rock" to "Wild Thing" then back to the Lift.
That Sharp Left Handed Off Camber turn on Wild Thing always gets a dab out of me. Just Erks the Sh** out of me. Only place I ever Dab. But it's still a sweet azz run.
I Can't wait to hit the new trail up tomorrow. Keystone is getting better, Next year I hope their Pimpin some more new FR/DH Double Black Diamond Runs. That'd be Sweet. With the Yeti Deal on Keystone mountain happenin maybe they will draw more Riders, $$$, and Attention and be able to make bigger improvements quicker in the Future.

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
bpatterson6 said:
Glad you enjoyed hittin up some Colorado DH!!

I love to hit up "Cowboy up" to "Motorhead" to "Loggers Way" to "Punk Rock" to "Wild Thing" then back to the Lift.
That Sharp Left Handed Off Camber turn on Wild Thing always gets a dab out of me. Just Erks the Sh** out of me. Only place I ever Dab. But it's still a sweet azz run.
I Can't wait to hit the new trail up tomorrow. Keystone is getting better, Next year I hope their Pimpin some more new FR/DH Double Black Diamond Runs. That'd be Sweet. With the Yeti Deal on Keystone mountain happenin maybe they will draw more Riders, $$$, and Attention and be able to make bigger improvements quicker in the Future.
Wild thing took me a few runs to clean entirely. There is one left switchback with a tree and a drop in it that I couldnt clean the first few times, then the skinny at the top of the steep uphill I didnt clean the first few times, then the 3 little drops in a row also messed with me. After the first day I got those dialed and wild thing was one of my favorite spots. Its a killer trail if you clean the whole thing. I love that place.

Curiouscaptian01

It's not poo
Dec 1, 2003
California
InsaneP2Rider said:
you kids are so dang lucky

looks like it was an awesome trip.

cooling off a little in Greenville? i wanna rip some dirt jumps

yeah, you need to come back down for some dirt jumps. We were just out there today and built all the lips back up and did some work on it.