Quantcast

Full Face now required by USAC for gated (4X and slalom) events

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
My apologies if this has been posted already!

USAC has changed the rules concerning full face helmets and gated events, meaning that now they REQUIRE THEM. We were told by the USAC cycling official that this rule change will be enforced this weekend at Chalk Creek Stampede here in Colorado, and from here on out in the Mountain States Cup series. Not sure if this rule will be enforced in your local series, but if you plan on hitting and of the MSC races this summer (which you oughtta) or possibly racing the National Champs at SolVista (which you also oughtta) then definitely bring on the full face for 4X/Slalom.

If you think you're gonna line up in the start gate with a half-shell on, think again. Bring the D2, moto helmet, or whatever you got, the USAC official at the MSC races (and probably others) will NOT LET YOU RACE without a full face helmet.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
I imagine that in 3-5 years, Leatt's will be mandatory for DH...

It's progress on safety, and then safety equipment will have to step it up as far as comfort and mobility.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Cool. I personally think people look goofy out there racing with their skate lids. Especially with goggles.

mccdh

Monkey
Sep 9, 2008
Comox
I imagine that in 3-5 years, Leatt's will be mandatory for DH...

It's progress on safety, and then safety equipment will have to step it up as far as comfort and mobility.
Well I don't think its mandatory even for SX yet. I see it being mandatory for that before DH. But strong recommendations are a step in the right direction, just like a pressure suit/safety jacket (ie good spinal cord, kidney protection etc) I do think its a good idea and I am defintiely not against the brace, just the rules on usage.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Well I don't think its mandatory even for SX yet. I see it being mandatory for that before DH. But strong recommendations are a step in the right direction, just like a pressure suit/safety jacket (ie good spinal cord, kidney protection etc) I do think its a good idea and I am defintiely not against the brace, just the rules on usage.
There is no rule about having to wear a leatt in moto, not even talk of it being mandatory.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
There is no rule about having to wear a leatt in moto, not even talk of it being mandatory.
Well, falling on a MTB at 45-50mph, a Leatt could definitely safe your life.

But even a Leatt, as well built as it is, I can only imagine it wouldn't save a Moto-X rider hitting the ground from 60 feet in the air doing 80-100mph. At least, that's my thoughts.

Last edited:

kylechs5

Chimp
Mar 23, 2007
ok if your going 45-50 on your bike u must be one of the fastest in the world heck even minnar only clocked 39 mph in the south Africa world cup round. and second i dont think ive ever heard of a supercross racer doing 80 to 100 mph maybe 60.

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
SA Wasnt exactly a flat out track. lets say, bottom of Schladming, they are going alot faster.

Staplerzzzz

Chimp
May 21, 2007
Earth
Personally I hate wearing full face helmets for dual slalom. For about 75 percent of courses (around here at least) it's overkill since a lot are made out of a soft dirt mixture and the top speeds are pretty low. I also find that full face helmets impair my vision greatly, especially since there are a lot of tight turn where I'm trying to spot my next gate ever second.

RaID

Turbo Monkey
Personally I hate wearing full face helmets for dual slalom. For about 75 percent of courses (around here at least) it's overkill since a lot are made out of a soft dirt mixture and the top speeds are pretty low. I also find that full face helmets impair my vision greatly, especially since there are a lot of tight turn where I'm trying to spot my next gate ever second.
:bonk:

read the thread it's for 4x NOT dual slalom

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
:bonk:

read the thread it's for 4x NOT dual slalom

Read the thread title (and the thread, for that matter). :busted:While the USAC/UCI may not enforce full-face helmets for Dual Slalom, it sounds like other series might on their own volition.

Full Face now required by USAC for gated (4X and slalom) events

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Ska Todd did say that a full-face isn't required for slalom per the rulebook, but it sounds like that rule will still be enforced.

So you're partially right. :D

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
The rule now specifically says that full face is required for 4X. They are not mandated by USAC for dual slalom. However, if a promoter felt they were needed for their event or track it would be in the promoter's best interest to require their use. Better safe than sorry, right?

-ska todd

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
The rule now specifically says that full face is required for 4X. They are not mandated by USAC for dual slalom. However, if a promoter felt they were needed for their event or track it would be in the promoter's best interest to require their use. Better safe than sorry, right?

-ska todd
That is silly. Make it required if you're going to give promoters the authority to require it. Showing up to a DS event with only a half shell (which is technically allowed per the rulebook) only to be told you can't race would tick me off.

Last edited:

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
A promoter should be allowed a reasonable degree of flexibility to require full armor, or full face in Super D, etc if they feel obligated due to safety concerns, in my personal opinion. If a promoter goes out of their way to require something like that, there is generally a good reason. If their land owner or insurance or the course conditions call for it, then yes I would say they should have the final call; providing that they announce it in due time and on their race information.

How hard is it to throw a piss pot in with all the other crap we regularly cart to a race? Most of these events happen in conjunction w/ a DH which mandates a full face anyway, right?

-ska todd

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
ok if your going 45-50 on your bike u must be one of the fastest in the world heck even minnar only clocked 39 mph in the south Africa world cup round. and second i dont think ive ever heard of a supercross racer doing 80 to 100 mph maybe 60.
Nobody ever said that I do 45-50. But I'm saying at 1/2 the speeds, and 1/4 the heights, of some Moto-X riders, a Leatt is much more likely to save your neck. But the sheer 50-60 foot fall from a botched Moto jump is enough to stop worrying about your neck, and worry more about all of your internal organs exploding when you hit the ground.

Just saying.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
USAC rules are indeed mandating full face for 4X, not for slalom. We had both this past weekend as the gravity opener for the MSC series, and our local USAC official did inform us that they would be enforcing the rule... for 4X.

I intentionally slanted the thread in an attempt to get any and all knuckleheads coming to our race to just bring their full face regardless of what they were entering, so they wouldn't be turned away on the gate for not knowing - or trying to say they didn't know and/or bending the rules. "But Little Johnny was only going to race slalom, so we didn't BRING his full face helmet, but he wants to enter 4X now, can you just let him race with his skate lid?" Ummmm... no.

We (as promoters of the race) also had a couple of spare full face helmets hanging around in case a few folks didn't know of the rule change, and we were taken up on the offer. My favorite part of the whole deal is where I was just trying to let the unwashed masses know of a rule change, and it turned in to a gripefest about having to wear protection.

Probably my fault, I suppose... :D