Quantcast

Full face or not?

wetsponge007

Monkey
Jan 2, 2006
Camarillo
Hi everyone, my love muffin wants to get me a full face helmet for valentine's day. I am just getting into mountain biking and am going to be a lot of different types of riding. I have a Kona Stinky dee lux and am probably going to be doing trails, some downhill, and some free riding. I was told I would look like an idiot if I had a full face helmet on the trails, but I was planning on bombing the trails on the way down from the top. Any suggestions if I should get a full face or not? BTW my girlfriend was going to get me the mad max II giro, which I have read good things about.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
The giro is a great helmet, but if you wanted you could look at thier new fullface it is 10oz lighter and keeps youe head a lot cooler. It is called the remedy.

If not the giro mad maxx II would be fine, strong looks great and is lighter thne others. the vents work to. Trust me you are going to want a fullface if you are doing anthing more then jumping 10 feet and doing more then XC and DJ.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Vigor Vamoose II is one of the lightest full face DH helmets and it has lot of vents. Get a full face helmet.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
some with the azonic fury cheaper compare to the madmax 2 and aires out will still looking great maybe better and has all the same protection.

Nov 9, 2005
i have a giro and love it. the new remedy is only $100 so its a steal of a deal for a good strong helmet. I cant count how many times the full face has saved me on falls. go with a full face for trails and dh, but if you are jumping a normal helmet should do fine.

P.S hows the stinky. i would like some pics to see how the final build came out.

wetsponge007

Monkey
Jan 2, 2006
Camarillo
It's good SB, it's at a shop right now having everything I bought for it installed. I will send you some pics or just post some pics on here once I get it back. Thanks for the information.

cephas01

Chimp
Jul 27, 2005
full face is the way to go, last summer i jumped my neighbors driveway with out a regular bullet helmet, in the air i did an idiot thing to do and hit my brakes just to stop the tires but i forgot to let them go when gravity wanted me to embrace mother, so i got up close and personal sliding about 10 ft or so on my schnooze, breaking the cartaledge in my nose, after that i didn't even attempt it until my bro gave me his full face. moral of the story, i like full faces better than bullets...im plannin on getting a azonic fury, maybe a tld, but tld helmets are super pricy

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
There are two new helmets, the Giro Remedy and the Specialized Deviant, which are well-ventilated and relatively light, particularily the carbon versions. They are designed for the XC/FR rider who needs to pedal a bit.

If you are serious about whether you need a full-face, let me ask you have you face-planted yet? If so, it should be obvious the need for the protection. If not, just slam your face against the desk right now and decide if you need a full-face.

Feb 13, 2006
definitely use a full-face where your chance of injury is higher -- DH speeds, falls from big heights.

the portion that covers your jaw does really helps your face from hitting things, a lot more than if you wore a standard XC/road helmet, or a "halfie" skate helmet.

imagine going down face first onto a rock slab with a full-face.

and then imagine doing it with an XC/road/skate helmet.

I don't know about you, but I like being able to chew food, talk, breathe when I'm worked... all those things that are hard to do when you have a smashed face or fractured jaw.

schweino1

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
i use a FullFace in the "parking lot" rides....

loosing a couple of teeth teach you a thing or two....

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
wetsponge007 said:
I was told I would look like an idiot if I had a full face helmet on the trails...
Think for yourself. Do you wear a regular helmet because someone told you they look cool?

Many of us here have learned the hard way that a full face is a good thing. Some lessons can only be learned that way but it's no fun. And don't kid yourself that you can get an arm up or something to protect your mug - when it happens, you are face down in the dirt before you know it.