Quantcast

Full on Manitou Dorado Video up at Sicklines.com

kidwithbike

Monkey
Apr 16, 2007
Hoboken, NJ
very excellent, i am gonna watch the whole thing and drink a huge fruit smoothie and get educated. seems like a really good resource!

sicklines tv! look out ted turner.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
that was a cool video. Would love to get a proper ride on them they sound very good. Loved my old dorado although i might be one of the few that did.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
A $2800 fork that's glued together isn't my cup of tea, but i really enjoyed that video.....some of the ideas they've incorporated into that fork are really cool....it looks to be alot more promising than their previous products.....i'd love to try one....

IC

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
There are definately some well though out ideas and designs...and they dropped some of their 'new for the sake of being new' B.S.

...but at the same time, it has taken them THIS long to figure out that forks should have a seal????? I put seals in my Dorado in '05 (it already had a machined seat for a stock seal) as it was the only way to keep oil off my brakes.

I still think everyone would be better served by a right side up fork of the same interior design. Stiffer, and less expensive....and you would not be stuck paying $50 cost for replacement leg guards after the first get-off.

djamgils

Monkey
Aug 31, 2007
Holland
somebody can explain to me why it is very unlikely to get air in the damper? I Couldn't really understand it.

I always thought that USD forks where cheaper then the forks with lower castings. Because with the USD fork you only need some tubes and CNC'ed parts.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
I still think everyone would be better served by a right side up fork of the same interior design. Stiffer, and less expensive....and you would not be stuck paying $50 cost for replacement leg guards after the first get-off.
Agreed... the amount of effort they've put into this is pretty staggering IMO, everything on it looks rediculously nicely made (hollow forged crowns for example), but if they'd put that R&D into a conventional fork it would probably be better still. The only thing that might be better with an inverted setup is that anti-aeration design they've got.

Also I don't know why the hell they reckon their LSC adjuster is actually a HSC adjuster... it'll adjust low speed way more than it does high speed. Having tried a TPC+ setup with and without the 2nd compression piston, I don't really like having the second one there. It kicks in fairly hard, and even though it can be valved to reduce the extra damping, the spring that holds it in place is pretty soft and as a result the setup is much more displacement sensitive than speed/energy sensitive as they claim, because even with a very light valving, the shims aren't opening much/at all before the spring bottoms out. This means that you get a sudden kick in the compression damping, not as bad as proper spiking but it's actually better without the thing IMO. Maybe playing with a stiffer spring could help but you'd need a pretty damn stiff spring for it to work as intended, given the oil pressures involved IMO.

Look forward to trying one though, even if the price means I'll never be able to afford it even after I'm able to purchase a small island in the pacific.

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
I used upside down forks for like 6 years besides moving to a Travis and maybe ripped off a lower gaurd once in a horrible crash over the 6 years. And that was on a WhiteBros fork that had really thin lower gaurds.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
It kicks in fairly hard, and even though it can be valved to reduce the extra damping, the spring that holds it in place is pretty soft and as a result the setup is much more displacement sensitive than speed/energy sensitive as they claim, because even with a very light valving, the shims aren't opening much/at all before the spring bottoms out.
That was my thought watching the vid (and remebering TPC+ from back when)... glad to hear it confirmed. Ingenious little design though, and I don't see why it wouldn't work with a very stiff spring. The seat isn't going to see any more force than it would when the current setup bottoms.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
That was my thought watching the vid (and remebering TPC+ from back when)... glad to hear it confirmed. Ingenious little design though, and I don't see why it wouldn't work with a very stiff spring. The seat isn't going to see any more force than it would when the current setup bottoms.
Yeah... well to say it kicks in "hard" is a bit of an overstatement I guess, it feels more like a notch in the fork's travel. The thing is, you can feel it even bouncing on the fork, the stock spring is way too light to mean anything at all really, the piston may as well just float there.

Progressive compression damping sounds good in theory, in reality it's only beneficial if the progression occurs near the very end of the travel (eg hydraulic bottom out circuits).

Last edited:

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I would agree that it is/seems to be very much displacement dependant rather than force or velocity dependant in my experience.

I did not see on the video if it was still a current feature, but my old sherman TPC+ had the ability to set the floating piston in three different positions to control at what point in the travel the secondary circuit came into play. At the furthest position, it seemed to effect only the last inch or so of travel IIRC.

Last edited: