Quantcast

full retard?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
^

due to the constraints of time....didn't get around to that one.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Finally they realize that you can not hug children with nuclear arms.
Im sure Russia will enjoy that.
Uh, did either of you guys bother reading the first paragraph in the article?

article said:
BERLIN (AFP) – Germany on Monday became the first major industrialised power to agree an end to nuclear power in the wake of the disaster in Japan, with a phase-out to be completed by 2022.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Why risk nuclear when you can power your entire country purely through rules and procedures?

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
One of the things that really impressed me that I loved when I was in Baden Wurttemburg (Southern German state by the Swiss border) was that at least a third of the homes and schools all had photovoltaic panels on the roofs pumping power into the local grid. :thumb:

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
germany produces 17% of it's electricity from renewable sources TODAY! and 370.000 jobs were created in this sector! they are technologically prepared to stop using nuclear power. nuclear power plants have been controversially discussed since the 1980's mainly due to the lack of terminal storage sites for nuclear waste. a reprocessing plant was planned in Wackersdorf (Bavaria) but the plans were was discarded due to decade long protests with squat villages and people chaining themselves to the rails of the railroad leading to the plant. same in Gorleben (where a terminal storage plant was planned), where there are protest with several ten thousands protesters twice or three times a year.

here are some pics to give you an impression of the scale of protests:

the exit strategy has an approval rate of 55%(!!!) of the population!!!!
the switch to renewable energy sources is also seen as a economical / technological chance. because sooner or later even the 'Mericans™ and the whole rest of the fossil sh*t burning rest will need to switch to renewable energy. ;)
funny fact:
in a freak coincident 13 of 17 german NPP are down for inspection at the very moment. and still they have electricity. :D

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
What nobody is talking about is that the Solar subsidies in Germany are ~125%, and that cost is going to be reflected in their electricity bills starting in a few months. Let's see how strong they feel about solar energy when their electricity bills go up 30%.

The safest and most effective form of reusable electricity generation is also one of the simplest: geothermal. Currently it is limited to areas with near surface geothermal activity, but that is expanding as the Russians are currently testing the feasibility of drilling directly into the mantle. If they can pull it off, they will have created a permanent source of heat that can be accessed anywhere you can drill.

One thing that nobody talks about is how electricity is used. General lighting makes up a large percentage of electricity usage. How much of that could be reduced by individuals switching to LED lighting? No mercury waste concerns (CFL) and 99% less energy usage than incandescent. Plus the longevity of the LED bulbs are incredible and come with 50k+ hour warranties: that's ~6 years of constant usage.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
What nobody is talking about is that the Solar subsidies in Germany are ~125%, and that cost is going to be reflected in their electricity bills starting in a few months. Let's see how strong they feel about solar energy when their electricity bills go up 30%.

The safest and most effective form of reusable electricity generation is also one of the simplest: geothermal. Currently it is limited to areas with near surface geothermal activity, but that is expanding as the Russians are currently testing the feasibility of drilling directly into the mantle. If they can pull it off, they will have created a permanent source of heat that can be accessed anywhere you can drill.

One thing that nobody talks about is how electricity is used. General lighting makes up a large percentage of electricity usage. How much of that could be reduced by individuals switching to LED lighting? No mercury waste concerns (CFL) and 99% less energy usage than incandescent. Plus the longevity of the LED bulbs are incredible and come with 50k+ hour warranties: that's ~6 years of constant usage.
It has always blown my mind how wasteful we are when it comes to lighting. Taking a red-eye flight across country it boggles my mind how many lights are turned on at 3:00 AM. It makes sense in downtown city areas with sidewalks but in a country where most people never walk anywhere I don't know why we need all the light. What really gets me is how many thousands of miles of interstate highways that have streetlights. Pedestrians aren't allowed and the glare actually makes it harder to drive at night especially when it is raining.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
It has always blown my mind how wasteful we are when it comes to lighting. Taking a red-eye flight across country it boggles my mind how many lights are turned on at 3:00 AM. It makes sense in downtown city areas with sidewalks but in a country where most people never walk anywhere I don't know why we need all the light. What really gets me is how many thousands of miles of interstate highways that have streetlights. Pedestrians aren't allowed and the glare actually makes it harder to drive at night especially when it is raining.
Exactly. They are currently testing LED lights on the GG bridge and when you come up to them it is much easier to see. It's a crisper, whiter light.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
wow

only took 18 posts in a german thread to sing the high praises of being clean & white

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
Let's see how strong they feel about solar energy when their electricity bills go up 30%.
that's funny, because the added cost of electricity produced in nuclear power plants does NOT appear on your electricity bill. which would be things like terminal storage or reprocessing facilities, god beware of the kind of costs that
japan faces now. interestingly enough, the energy industrie thinks, that these costs should be covered by the gouvernment and they actually are (dunno how this is handeled in the states...).

the cost of the massive investment in alternative energy sources is indeed reflected in the price of electricity - it's 0,0353€ per kW/h.

the statistical average family pays 72,77€/month for electricity, 46% of this are taxes and fees, and a part of these taxes goes into financing renewable energy sources, in the above mentioned example it would sum up to 10,30€, which is far less than 30%.

source: the german association of energy and water suppliers BDEW

i gladly pay this if i can contribute through this to cleaner, renewable energy.

Last edited:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
interestingly enough, the energy industrie thinks, that these costs should be covered by the gouvernment and they actually are (dunno how this is handeled in the states...).
stifling taxes for anyone who dare try & strike out on their own, usually.
we tend to reward bad behaviour, not private sector ingenuity.*

[*barring, of course, "evil" energy companies, who are obviously corporate leeches]

the law

Monkey
Jun 25, 2002
where its at
that's funny, because the added cost of electricity produced in nuclear power plants does NOT appear on your electricity bill. which would be things like terminal storage or reprocessing facilities, god beware of the kind of costs that
japan faces now. interestingly enough, the energy industrie thinks, that these costs should be covered by the gouvernment and they actually are (dunno how this is handeled in the states...).

the cost of the massive investment in alternative energy sources is indeed reflected in the price of electricity - it's 0,0353€ per kW/h.

the statistical average family pays 72,77€/month for electricity, 46% of this are taxes and fees, and a part of these taxes goes into financing renewable energy sources, in the above mentioned example it would sum up to 10,30€.

source: the german association of energy and water suppliers BDEW

i gladly pay this if i can contribute through this to cleaner, renewable energy.
Nuclear Power is also heavily subsidized in the US. The following report suggests that the value of these subsidies range from and estimaed low of 13 percent to a high of 98 percent (almost double). I am sure other reports will give you other estimates, but the again that applies to every type of energy due to the difficulty of quantitizing the effect of subsidies. We should also not forget that these subsidies are still in play even though nuclear power is no longer a new technology but has been around for a long time.

http://www.ucsusa.org/nuclear_power/nuclear_power_and_global_warming/nuclear-power-subsidies-report.html

What I found interesting is that, in addition to more well-known subsidies (such as for building plants and waste disposal), the US also subsidizes the nuclear power industry by limiting their liability in the case of a nuclear disaster (the Price-Anderson Act (PAA)). More precisely, if the energy companies were held responsible for the full damage of any disasters they caused, then nuclear power would likely not be viable anymore due to astronomical insurance premiums. Personally, I don't like the idea that we, as tax-payers, are paying for the risks associated with nuclear energy.

As for Germany, the sucess of alternative energy is largely driven by the German's desire to adopt more eco-friendly energy. Without that, Germany would never have put in place these subsidies to begin with. From my experience, when it comes to energy and the environment, the German mind-set is quite different from that of the majority of the SUV-driving public here.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Nuclear power is not nuclear weaponry. As soon as baby-boomers and their 50s era fears fade away, AND China starts cranking out nuke plants, the US will quickly change their tune.

There is no other viable answer to maintaining the economic growth that Americans demand while we wait the many decades it will take for other alternatives to be scalable, economic, and efficient. You can fight that all you want, morally or any other way you wish, but you will lose.

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
i think the perception that there actually are cheap sources of energy is what makes people believe, that nuclear energy is a viable alternative for energy production.
it is not. as it is not cheap. as there is NO cheap form of energy.

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
A nice, broad and heavy-handed approach by Germany. Nuclear energy does not have to be dangerous (a la Chernobyl and Japan's recent experience). A simple (and for some reason broadly downplayed) alternative to U238/U235 and Pu nuclear fuel is Thorium...seriously. Plenty of upsides with respect to either of the former nuclear fuels, none of the downsides. Except you can't produce weapons grade fuel as readily. I guess I answered my own question...

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
One of the main things that pisses of the German public is the total inability to dispose safely the Nuclear waste (currently sitting in a disused mine in containers that are leaking already).

And no just moving it to a different location is not fixing the problem.... it's just shifting the problem.