Quantcast

Full snowshoe mayhem report with pictures

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
First off I must say. Snowshoe absolutely rules. I have ridden at northstar, brian head, keystone, and vail, and while all of those rocked, I must say that I did not have as much fun in a single day at any of those as I did at snowshoe. I just loved the mix of ridiculously steep east coast stuff with cool stunts all over the place. To top it off, the lift is fast and there are tons of trails.

We rolled into "town" around 8:45 friday night after a 7 hour drive from upstate SC. The drive wasn't too bad. We stayed at the Inn at snowshoe, which gets the job done, but it would be a lot better to stay at the top. We got up to the top before the bike park opened. The trails between stunts are not smooth or flat, as it looks in many of the pictures. They are awesome slick steep rock gardens and root sections. My favorite. I think we rode every trail on the freeride side saturday, then rode most of them again sunday. Our first run we rode down A to H to some other one to the right of H. This turned out to be our favorite run to hit, because H has a ridiculously fun drop and a set of HUGE wooden berms.

Here is the beginning sections of A, starts with this log, then hits a great steep loose section.

Once you cross onto H there is this tight drop to a steep transition. This was my favorite drop.

Then after that you hit my favorite of all the stunts:

Here is a drop at the end of one of the trails....K maybe.

Another smaller wooden berm at the end of one of the trails.

Here is brad on a small tech section. I wish I shot more of just the trails.

I also shot the mountain cross race for a bit between riding. I rode the course but I had to manual everything because of how ridiculously big the jumps were.

I am liking this one.

Bosch.

Thats about all I have, I spent much more time riding than shooting. We only had a day and a half, so the camera only came out on 3 or 4 runs down....we got in about 16.

I shall leave you with this picture of the Bike joust. Props to the dirty south ashevillians representin by hooking up the bike joust. It left me with a black eye. What an awesome Idea.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Nice glad to see tons of people that hadn't ridden there went and checked out the place. Wish i got to go but school and partying first right now.

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
Those Mtn-x pics are great. Good stuff.

Weather in the late season at Snowshoe is usually pretty dry. I've heard from a few sources that the Nationals will be in August.

The DH course was friggin badass. Muchhh better than in June. Turns were bermed to hold the soil, rocks were placed in the log drop so there wasn't 1 foot deep ruts in it. The new boulder drop section at the top was cool. Also there weren't any mud bog flat sections. I just wish I didn't blow up my drivetrain and rear wheel during practice on Sunday. :eviltongu

InsaneP2Rider

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Curiouscaptian01 said:
wish we had more pictures of the trails
yeah me too, so that i can motivate some of my friends to take me out to that sweet place :mumble: :stosh:

the jousting was a killer idea :thumb: . congrats to the :monkey: 's who placed in that event

Curiouscaptian01

It's not poo
Dec 1, 2003
California
InsaneP2Rider said:
yeah me too, so that i can motivate some of my friends to take me out to that sweet place :mumble: :stosh:

the jousting was a killer idea :thumb: . congrats to the :monkey: 's who placed in that event
yeah it was sweet, G-Vegas should be getting one together soon, except somehow we will make it so it is harder to get hit in the face. It hurts.

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
Curiouscaptian01 said:
yeah it was sweet, G-Vegas should be getting one together soon, except somehow we will make it so it is harder to get hit in the face. It hurts.
perhaps football helmets and widen the end of the lance so it can't fit in there...

yellowfox

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
Akron OH
My buddy got hit in the face jousting by Abe i think his name was. Man it rocked his socks! he got a cut under his eye and was bleeding and it really knocked him out of it for about 30 minutes. It was crazy. Luckily he could still ride and race the following day

yellowfox

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
Akron OH
I'm not sure if anyone remember the hit this guy took but it was the best one all night i think. Super clean shot to the chest taking him off the bike while the other guy kept riding. haha

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
yellowfox said:
I'm not sure if anyone remember the hit this guy took but it was the best one all night i think. Super clean shot to the chest taking him off the bike while the other guy kept riding. haha

OMG- that is just the coolest thing of all time! I must admit I find the "respect" stuff a bit dopey but jousting on bikes? Oh yeah!

Once a rider was "unhorsed", did the mano-y-mano follow with an assortment of bike-related weapons, e.g. cassette-removal chain flails and pedal wrench maces? :D

SOOOO fuggin' :cool:

yellowfox

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
Akron OH
There was a little wrestling after certain knights were slayed. The bikes were hilarious. The hub on the rear wheel was offset in the wheel so it kinda bounced when you rode it giving it that galloping horse feel haha

bradical

Monkey
Dec 9, 2003
G-Vegas SC
That's a great picture of the joust. The Drunken Monkey crew from asheville were really funny, and the joust bikes were made completely out of hardcore.

Curiouscaptian01

It's not poo
Dec 1, 2003
California
yellowfox said:
My buddy got hit in the face jousting by Abe i think his name was. Man it rocked his socks! he got a cut under his eye and was bleeding and it really knocked him out of it for about 30 minutes. It was crazy. Luckily he could still ride and race the following day
yeah I saw that go down looked like it hurt...then a few rounds later I got hit in the face too. That Abe guy won, no wonder because he had a cheering section with a mullet dude. That guy was a damn champ.