Quantcast

Full sus 4x frames. Which?

macmx

Monkey
Dec 28, 2003
Looking for a full sus frame with around 4" travel, to do some good 4x style riding as well as some fast singletrack stuff. One with a pretty low back end, not an too XC type frame.

What's on the marked????

Thanks....

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
I dont know how much travel it has but how about the Spec. Enduro SX. Or the Santa Cruz full suspension 4X frame.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
if your not after the lightest race bike, check out a Turner Rail. They are so much fun and the geo makes them feel like mini dh bikes instead of twitchy xc bikes. Plus, the rail is a 4" frame that is actually designed to be jumped and ridden hard which means Turner will take care of you if something goes wrong.

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
I just picked up an 04 Enduro SX frame, I haven't had a chance to ride it yet but it looks like it will rip! Heres some idea in no certain order:

Santa Cruz Blur 4x
Santa Cruz Heckler
Enduro SX
Turner Rail
Chumba Wumba DSL?
Intense Tazer
Yeti 4x
Sinister Splinter MX
Theres even more too...

Dan

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Threepointtwo said:
The Tazer is a good choice and they can be had pretty cheap now because they have been replaced with a VPP version.
This is true. But one thing to be aware of is that the frames are very small.

Dan

macmx

Monkey
Dec 28, 2003
yeah i wanted to have a look at the yeti but can't find it anywhere!

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Why does everybody ignore the Norco 4x4 so much? With an air shock, the weight is reasonable, and it rides damn well, and costs a lot less them most of the options mentioned here. You can get the frames used dirty cheap (like the one I am selling ;) )

E.T.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
NorCal
Specialized Enduro Supercross

It's a pound lighter than last years, stiffer than last years, pedals better (due to the stiffness and the lower leverage rate), has awesome geometry (the best geometry of any slalom bike IMO), looks better than last years, and you can set it up for just about anything. 4 inch air shock for slalom and DJ destruction, no problem. 6.6" Coil shock for some serious big hits, no problem. 5 inch coil or air for all around trail riding, no problem. If you can get a chance to ride this bike, DO IT. I gaurantee you will enjoy it. :)

My ride...

ilfreerider

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
israel
specialized sx (the new one) is amazing ! super short rear end , low bb / cog and great geometry means one fast 4x bike.pedaling is also easy due to the short travel (4.2) and the 5th element shock.
my buddy has one and it just handles like a dream.

redical

Monkey
May 19, 2004
You may want to hold out for the Soul Cycles FS 4X racer/DJ frame. It will behave pretty trick geo, very light & under $900!

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Dude, the SX is SICK! The Blur 4x is waaay more xc/trail oriented with it's high BB, long chain stays, and steep seat tube, but it's still a sweet bike. I would say it climbs better than the SX, but the SX is faster in the corners. The Yeti's feel good too, but I like the SX more because it has the lower BB. I have the longer size, which is better for trail riding, but even the shorter one rips. I doubt you'll be dissapointed by an SX. Tazers are way rad but they break pretty commonly, and now you can't really get any new parts for them too easily.
If you like to pump stuff and flow the trails more than to power through everything and pedal a ton, go for the SX. For people who pedal through everything, the Blur 4x kills it.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Planet-X Splitail - should be available in June.

The Yeti 4X is pretty damn nice -but do damn expensive.

If only IH made a 4x DW-Link bike - like what Sam is riding right now for four cross. I would be the first in line for one of those. :thumb:

Y

yos1s25

I have the MKIII iron horse and it's greate for 4X and alll around ...

Monkey
Feb 28, 2002
Vail CO
Nicolai makes an awesome 4X bike. If you're interested, let me know and I can connect you with the US distributor.

sirbikealot

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
Dundas,ON,CAN
shameless sponsor plug but its definitely a nice ride and something most people won't think about, its already been taken to 5th place by Roger RINDERKNECHT at the first 4X world cup this year

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
dexter said:
sinister splinter mxs all that needs to be said. loved my old yeti 4x but it felt wayy to small
Very cool bike, my buddy Steve had to borrow one before a race because his shat the bed, he liked it a lot!

The new SX is :drool:

Norco 4x4. good n cheap, gotta like that. I wish there were more Norco dealer's in So Cal.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
dexter said:
sinister splinter mxs all that needs to be said. loved my old yeti 4x but it felt wayy to small
"Dexter Levandoski
My name is Dexter Levandoski and I currently am a freshman at The University of Montana. I am 18 years old and was born and raised in Denver, Colorado. My whole life I have been riding bikes, my dad got me involved with the sport when I was six years old. I have been racing downhill since 2001 for Team RPM/Yeti at the junior x level. This season I upgraded to semi pro. My main focus for this season is to go to every street comp and get 3 top 5 spots in the NORBA national circuit."

Mad props Dex!!!!!

The Splinter is def. sex, but it took me awhile to figure out how the hell it worked.

How much is that Nicolai?

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
911 said:
Nicolai makes an awesome 4X bike.
agreed. the ufo is pretty versatile as well - it makes a fantastic trailbike, and is even climbable. after a weekend of ripper n. shore rides, i'm giddy about the capability of the bike. here's mine:

RD

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Boston, MA
I picked up a brand new Iron Horse Hollowpoint MTX last week and finally got it finished up today (minus brakes). I've had a chance to rip around the neighborhood on it quite a bit and it is absolutely amazing. So light and nimble. Almost too light, it's kinda twitchy. I'll post some pics when I finish it up with those brakes. I highly suggest picking one up if you can find one used.

I've also owned a 2003 Enduro SX and a 2004 Enduro SX. Simply amazing bikes that ride very predictibly and stable, just too heavy for my dual-purpose use as a trail bike. I also had an Azonic Propulsion for a brief time. Great bike, just incredibly flexy for my weight (200#) and limited in rear tire clearance.

Just my .02 ;) Hope it helps.

Ricky

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
fyi i had my yeti 4x to about 28 lbs with tubless single plys' a minute 3 and other kinda light weight stuff. my splinter mxs should be here tomorrow and weight in at 30 ish with the burly cranks and bars

SPUTNECK

Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Raleigh, NC
IronHorse Hollowpoint.....if you can get your hands on the 04 MTX version....if not, the MKIII. The geometry is solid, they are very quick and well built. Mine has nearly 5" travel and I have Bomber Z1 Drop Off on the front end. The bike absolutely screams and you can blast single track on it.

good luck on whatever you find.

Bill.

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
I really like the idea of getting a MKIII for this type if riding because it pedals well and is stiff, but the only concern is the steep headangle (something like 70º with a fully extended pike). This is great for slower trail riding and switchbacks, but for really fast decents and 4x racing, it might be twitchy. I wish one could take it down by about 2.5º...

dv8cam

Monkey
Dec 8, 2003
I just rode the new Turner 4X prototype. This frame was very impressive. The ultimate 4X RACE frame. Turner does it again. If you can afford it, you may want to wait for this one.