Quantcast

Fullerton/Whittier area riding?

sod8

Chimp
Dec 10, 2001
Santa Barbara, CA
I will likely be bringing my mountain bike down to my fiancee's parent's house this weekend in Hacienda Heights. I was thinking about just riding around at Turnbull Canyon. I have ridden my road bike a lot in the area, but never been on the trails. Anyone have any other suggestions on where to ride in the area? One of these days I need to make the trip to Laguna, but this weekend I don't want to travel too far.

Thanks, Shamus

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
The fully loop is you brah! Just like tunnel but different. haha way different.

But now that I think about it you were the guy that showed us around Tunnel. I'm going to try to get a ride in on Saturday afternoon. I'll prolly hit up the Oaks. If you want to go give me a ring at 714 223 9322.

You and your fiancee should also go down to Tustin for this http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165979 on Saturday night as well.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I grew up in Whittier.

Turnbull and the surrounding hills, including Schabarum Park (By Puente Hills Mall) are a XC paradise. Nothing super technical but you can go for miles and it's very pretty.

Hit Turnbull park at the bottom on Beverly Blvd. Be quiet and courteous to the residents. Ride up the main trail and hit the backside, known as 7th street. Across Turnbill Cyn road (west) you'll find a fire road and a few single tracks... the fire road goes up and down and can take you all the way into Hacienda heights and Schabarum park. If you can find the single track on the right hand side (south side) it's a great loop that eventuall hooks up with the fire road again. I believe it's called rattlesnake? Also... the fire road splits.... one goes west to Hacienda heights (and to the singletrack), and one goes down following Turnbull Cyn road... this is The Rollercoaster. It's smooth and fast,my top speed ever on it was 46.5 MPH. In the old days the rumor 'round town was that with the right gearing and legs you could hit 50MPH.

Lately I heard that there was some secret jumps up there somewhere. I don't know though as it's been something like 4 years since I rode there.

PM me if you need more info. I'll do my best.

I have a soft spot for TBC since it was the very first place I ever rode a true mountin bike and when we were kids we all used to take our BMX bikes up there and bomb downhill.

Fun times!

Don't forget to smoke a doob at the highest electric tower, and the top water tower... you can't miss them.

:banana:

sod8

Chimp
Dec 10, 2001
Santa Barbara, CA
Ciaran, thanks for the info!

Dave, yeah I rode with you in SB a few years back. Are you talking about Santiago Oaks Regional Park in Orange? I'd be down for riding Saturday afternoon. Let me know here or I will give you a call some time Friday evening.