Quantcast

Fully floating shock frames (Info from joe's corner)

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
within the last year or two, i have noticed that many frames now are utilizing a fully floating rear shock, (evil revolt, Mondraker summum, cannondale moto, ect) and i also remember about 5 years back sinister was testing a prototype, (the passion some may remember it) but it never materialized, assumably, because it just wasn't as good as one may have thought.

So since then, the question had remained in my mind, why hadn't anyone tried to make a working fully floating rear shock bike? then it came into concrete form when i first seen the revolt, but many questions still remained in my head, like exactly how this could compare to "floating rear end" bikes such as dw-link, maestro, VPP, ect.

well i stumbled upon joe's corner over at santa cruz bikes and thus a neat little article has been written up, i found it quite interesting and maybe some of you will as well.

http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/news/index.php?JoesCorner=1&display=9

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
What....what?

What is a "floating rear end" bike?

You're asking why no one has tried to design a "floating rear shock" bike, but you also listed a bunch? That makes no sense.

What is going on here?

Delimeat

Monkey
Feb 3, 2009
Canada
There is some good reading in that there corner. But like anybody associated with anything, take it all with a grain of salt.

Good thing I never bought that sub-par Moto eh?

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
What....what?

What is a "floating rear end" bike?

You're asking why no one has tried to design a "floating rear shock" bike, but you also listed a bunch? That makes no sense.
i meant why did the idea just disappear a few years ago after sinister started experimenting with it? people had HUGE hopes for the idea, and then it sort of just vanished. Now its back and i just never fully understood the benefit of it

Floating rear shock = a shock that is compressed from both ends

Mondraker

Delimeat

Monkey
Feb 3, 2009
Canada
i meant why did the idea just disappear a few years ago after sinister started experimenting with it? people had HUGE hopes for the idea, and then it sort of just vanished. Now its back and i just never fully understood the benefit of it

Floating rear shock = a shock that is compressed from both ends

Mondraker

Floaters have been around for ever. Wasn't it a Suzi in the 70's that had a floating shock? Someone out there will know. Lots of mtb's have used it before the Passion! was around, and I'm of the understanding (which is probably wrong) that the Passion! was more an experiment in having a variable axle path than anything. I think their design necessitated that floating shock.

Honestly, I have a heard time filtering out the benefits of anything these days. I think the real truth is that if you are looking at a proper bike for the purpose you have in mind, I doubt any of them will hold us back. I like to like at different bikes and designs and think about the drawbacks, that seems to make things clearer for me. Joe says my fingers will get chopped off if I noodle with the rebound knob on a Moto while riding it. That is a drawback.

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
The Sinister thing hasn't vanished completely. Needs a lot of effort to be perfected though.

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
Can someone tell me why SC insists on putting gray text on a white backround?
Makes it too painfull to re-read and thus realise that their propogander is the same as anyone elses??
Great idea for SC though, obtain immunity for blatently slagging off your opposition (Cannondale) subtly accuse DW/Evil are a bunch of copycat's (see picture of their 2005 proto) and SC designed everything. Simply by stating someone asked them to.
Nice work

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
What that SC article says is essentially correct though... floating shocks do have the POTENTIAL advantage of being able to obtain leverage rate curves that are not obtainable with typical linkage arrangements, but it is IMO highly unlikely that you'd ever find such a leverage rate curve that was actually advantageous that couldn't be achieved with a non-floating layout. This is simply because leverage rates don't need to change that drastically, or reverse direction or any of that kind of stuff.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
"because it actuates from two directions, it breaks seal stiction faster". No, actually, it doesn't. It's the same force on the seal and in the shock as any bike that has the same leverage at that point.

"This is pretty elementary stuff. Especially for a company with annual revenues counted with a B, as in "How many billions of dollars did we make in 2009?" For their sake I hope this was just a marketing intern who made up some stuff and this wasn't relayed by anyone in their engineering department. "

cannondale said this about their moto bike

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Makes it too painfull to re-read and thus realise that their propogander is the same as anyone elses??
Great idea for SC though, obtain immunity for blatently slagging off your opposition (Cannondale) subtly accuse DW/Evil are a bunch of copycat's (see picture of their 2005 proto) and SC designed everything. Simply by stating someone asked them to.
Nice work
What did you expect from the people that brought so much bs to the minds of kids that they can only be rivaled by marketing of spec and ellsworth. I still meet people who belive in the s shaped curve (or wheelpath) and I think they are one of the companies responsible for the pb movement of " this single pivut is suckorrrz, virtualz ftw"

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Fusion Bikes has been using a Full Floater FSR setup for many years now. The design is on the full range of thier bikes.
So does a bunch of other brands that are engineered by the same guy behind the design of Fusion bikes.

And BTW: Nicolai had it on one of their first Lambda frames as well.

Attachments

Last edited:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Last edited:

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Every day the bike industry gets alittle closer to looking like a bunch of guys in a row at a carnival, all yelling about the benefits of their "tonic" over the other guys'.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Full floaters look cool but offer no significant advantage in the real world.
lol wut?

If designed properly, a frame with a floating shock can have a front triangle that is lighter, as it does not need to absorb as much of the compressive forces from the swingarm via the shock. The elimination of a fixed shock mount on the front triangle allows for this.

Granted, it probably won't be a ton of weight, but every few grams count right?

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I think Ridemonkey is closer to those guys, except the stuff those guys say is usually spot on.

Man, Statlers' HA is clearly not 64 degrees either. What a tard.

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Even if you suppose that they result in better shock rates, they increase the unsprung weight of the rear suspension.

Also if you suppose they isolate the forces and keep them out of the front triangle, keeping the front triangle lighter, the linkages need to be strengthened to accomodate the extra forces. So you really just move it from one place to another. In this case you are again increasing unsprung weight.

Not to mention I've yet to see a shock rate out of a floating shock bike that was markedly different than a "normal" setup. Even if it were much different, just because it is so, doesn't mean its better.

Floating shock bikes are 95% about marketing and product differentiation.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Even if you suppose that they result in better shock rates, they increase the unsprung weight of the rear suspension.
As was said before they don't really achieve anything in the usable curve that could be built with fixed mount. Its an alternative solution but not inherently better.

Hence:

Not to mention I've yet to see a shock rate out of a floating shock bike that was markedly different than a "normal" setup. Even if it were much different, just because it is so, doesn't mean its better.
Also if you suppose they isolate the forces and keep them out of the front triangle, keeping the front triangle lighter, the linkages need to be strengthened to accomodate the extra forces. So you really just move it from one place to another. In this case you are again increasing unsprung weight.
Floating shock bikes are 95% about marketing and product differentiation.
Exactly

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I don't agree with the earlier comment by Socket that you can achieve rates with a "floating shock" design that you can not achieve without it. I think a better way to put it is that in some cases, a "floating shock" design can allow more flexibility in frame construction while maintaining a desired leverage rate. This is what Trek is doing with many of their new bikes, which makes it fairly easy for them to maintain a straight seat-tube and also they don't have to fabricate or engineer two shock-mounts into the frame, so it possibly allows you to locate the shock in someplace that is better.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
Nice work
i like this reply.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Mcmahon racing cycles did it in like 96 or 7 with their BUFF frame.

And I bet any weight advantage you get is offset by having to strengthen pivots and tubes to deal with the higher compression or tension forces.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I bet if people put 10% of the energy into working on HOW they ride their bikes instead of worry about what numbers its sporting, they'd be much better off. :D

I'm curious (honestly) how much of the paper benefits of stuff like this is actually applicable to the real world too. Its all well and good that something works great in autocad, but would it actually affect the average rider? I mean, people have gone fast on KHS bikes.....

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
With Trek's design, it allows the use of a rocker (the "evo link") with a lower ratio. I believe this design is superior to a higher ratio rocker made of 2 huge, separate pieces of metal, like Kona, Ellsworth, and older Treks.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
The GT LTS was also a floating shock design, in that the shock was mounted between two links and not to the main triangle.

I rode one for about 6 years until it cracked at the shock mount, but it worked well for what it was.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
The linkage looks like as it compresses the top the lower link pivots downward.
That's exactly it... because of that the "evo" rocker link that compresses the shock can be shorter on the back side that attaches to the seat stay, making for a stiffer bike. The Session is really freakin' stiff, very solid feeling for such a light frame.

scman1

Chimp
May 16, 2009

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Does the trek compress from both ends or is it a free floating shock. The linkage looks like as it compresses the top the lower link pivots downward.
This is one of the main problems with those that don't really understand the "floating shock" idea. It doesn't matter, and relative to the shock I guess you can always say it's being compressed at both ends. A force is applied, and the shock compresses. Relative to another part of the bike, or the earth, or whatever, doesn't really mater, doesn't change the forces.

scman1

Chimp
May 16, 2009

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Yeah the best part is SC admits they were full of sh*t just like Specialized and Ellsworth's propaganda:rofl:

santacruzbicycles.com said:
It's also dead wrong. Santa Cruz once published a postcard showing the axle path of the original V10 as being "S-shaped". It was misleading and technically incorrect, and we apologize. We even have a US patent that covers that specifically: Patent # 5628524. But we no longer employ it in our designs, because it doesn't really matter.

scman1

Chimp
May 16, 2009
Yeah the best part is SC admits they were full of sh*t just like Specialized and Ellsworth's propaganda:rofl:
At least we admitted it. The more you develop the more you learn. I doubt the other companies you mention would ever cop to anything.