Quantcast

Fun Times on the Farmington River Trail!!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I'm on vacation this week, so Liam, Connor and I decided to go out for a late morning ride to beat the heat. We hit up the Farmington River Trail which is a rail trail that connects the town of Burlington to the Town of Collinsville and then continues on into Canton, CT along the beautiful Farmington River. This is a gorgeous rail trail and it soon will bet even better by connecting Burlington, CT to Farmington, CT and the Farmington Valley Greenway Rail Trail - you could ride this trail all the way to Mass once this connector is completed. Pretty Sweet.

Here we are getting ready to roll. Little bike, bigger bike and big Bike all in a row.

Connor is really gaining confidence with each ride. Last year he broke his arm while riding so it has taken a while for him to regain his love for riding. He's doing great!

This trail runs along the river and it was well shaded and it made it great for a day of riding. Liam on the Kona followed by Connor.

Connor practicing his stand and hammer single speed stance!

The Farmington River is awesome - really gorgeous.

Connor Haulin ass!

Single Speeding is tough so we stopped to rest and get some water.

Waterfall on the Farmington. This helped provide power for an Axe and Machete factory in Collinsville.

We kept rollin and ran across these folks out fishing. They were having pretty good luck and had a lot of trout to prove it. Biggins woulda been proud.

As the trail approaches the village of Collinsville it climbs up and over a bridge over the river. Here's Liam climbing up on his Kona.

And Connor walking up the rest of it. SSing is tough for a 7 year old.

Here's the bridge we rode over and into Collinsville.

And a view from the middle of the bridge:

Trying an artistic shot from the other side of the bridge. I betcha that house has some kickass views, especially in the fall.

Collinsville is the site of the Collins Company. The Collins Company produced axes, machetes, and other sharp tools (hoes, sledges, etc. etc.) and was the centerpiece of this town. Now the town is a laid back cool little village with small boutique stores, LaSalle Market, a bakery, a Canoe and Kayak sales and rental shop, a bistro, and a great bakery. I really dig the town.

Some of the Collins Company Buildings:

Smokestack

The Rigs!

The Crown and Hammer Pub - a really cool pub/bistro in an old train depot. I've eaten there and the food is really good. Good mix of a bar menu and bistro menu. And they serve many fine ales inside too!

We rode a bit more into town and grabbed some lunch. There were a few other folks with the same idea.

We had lunch at Lasalle Market

Tasty beverages!

Connor's got big ears like his Dad.

After chowing down on pizza slices, we left the Market and headed across RT 179 to the other side of town. Here's the Canoe and Kayak sales and rental shop that does a brisk business during this time of year.

A few kayakers enjoying the Farmington.

A few more:

We crossed the street for a photo op at the Veterans Memorial.

Time to head back - the bridge from another perspective

In 1955, this area experienced a major flood. It caused a great deal of damage. Here's a sign on the trail showing just how high the water rose during the Flood of 55.

It was an awesome day to be out riding, and what made it that much better was that I was riding with my sons. Good times, Good times indeed!

One last shot.

Hope you enjoyed this little photo essay.

Cheers,

MMcG

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
That is so cool. I grew up in Connecticut and spent a few summers at a camp on the Farmington River - the old Camp Marlin. You just triggered many memories of water skiing, fishing, boating, etc. I would approve if I could!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Heyyy... I used to kayak on the Farmington River as a kid with my dad. Good times :)

I think there's something wrong with your camera, it makes the wheels on your Surly look big ;)

Nice pictures!

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Mark,

That is awesome!! That is the kind of stuff I really look foward to when my two girls get old enough. Great post!!