Quantcast

$$$$ Funky Friday Appreciation Thread$$$$

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
And failed inspection for window tint. Same window tint I've had for the past 3 years, all of which passed. The lightest tint offered (at the time) that enabled me to get ceramic coating. :mad:
Did you go to the same place? I always go to the same place, so if they try to fail me for anything sketchy, I can point out they were either wrong then, or wrong now....

EDIT - probably not, given the move now that I think of it. Did you go to Wilsons in Groton?

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Did you go to the same place? I always go to the same place, so if they try to fail me for anything sketchy, I can point out they were either wrong then, or wrong now....

EDIT - probably not, given the move now that I think of it. Did you go to Wilsons in Groton?
Nope, they don't offer inspections for GVWR 10K+. Went to Auto Clinic in Pepperell.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Mazda got its sticker there the other day. Guy was nice and understanding.
In Virginia the inspectors would always ping you on something small, whether it was a problem or not. So I just started putting on old shitty windshield wipers prior to inspection and pay for them to replace it. I also never got an inspection until I got a fix-it ticket for it, I take care of my shit.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
yes but you live in a city full of grey and despair, those of us who live in sunny environments like it. :cool:
I have mesh panels in the rear windows for my car I put in during the 3 months here where it is like living inside some laser powered fusion chamber and remove them for the 9 months of darkness.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
In Virginia the inspectors would always ping you on something small, whether it was a problem or not. So I just started putting on old shitty windshield wipers prior to inspection and pay for them to replace it. I also never got an inspection until I got a fix-it ticket for it, I take care of my shit.
I'm convinced it's all a racket and safety is merely a tertiary priority. Inspection shops know that a failed inspection means you must pay to fix it, likely at their shop, so the incentive is to fail people. Somewhere there's a lobby throwinf money towards stricter laws to drive the repair industry and new car sales.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I have mesh panels in the rear windows for my car I put in during the 3 months here where it is like living inside some laser powered fusion chamber and remove them for the 9 months of darkness.
my car has these retractable mesh sun shades in the back and rear, they work.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Somehow ended up with both jobs and the kiddo in bed this morning. That's a lot of snuggle, especially since none of the 3 of them understand how beds work and lay perpendicular.

Same geniuses who dropped the ball yesterday dropped the ball again. They told the machine shop we'd have a high priority project ready for them today, only problem is they totally forgot to tell the engineering department about said project. Good stuff.

I'm convinced it's all a racket and safety is merely a tertiary priority. Inspection shops know that a failed inspection means you must pay to fix it, likely at their shop, so the incentive is to fail people.
This is why they mostly got rid of smog test shops that also do repairs here. They all offered "Pass or free retest" then fail you on the evap system, sell you a new gas cap, then magically you pass the second time.

It has become a lot harder to get a 1994 Toyota pick-up with an LS swap and open exhaust "passed" though, so now everybody register's their shit in South Dakota and makes zero effort to even try to pass smog.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
asheville is like a louis ck rub n tug...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
that reminds me that I should hunt down a mobile windshield replacement company and get the Land Cruiser's windshield replaced. Linear crack across the base spanning two separate rock hits. Not in my field of view but should do it.

Just scheduled it. Messaged several shops via Yelp. Some replied, some haven't yet. Some don't give quotes via Yelp, some don't do mobile.

This shop replied quickly, gave a quote via Yelp (I'd given them all the pertinent details in my request, like how I want that stock blue tint band at the top + usual make/model/year), was $1 over the other one that quoted but doesn't do mobile, and they offer free mobile service.

Done and done. Shall be $376 + tax, free mobile service done in my driveway on a day I WFH anyway next week. I approve of how they run their business.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Just scheduled it. Messaged several shops via Yelp. Some replied, some haven't yet. Some don't give quotes via Yelp, some don't do mobile.

This shop replied quickly, gave a quote via Yelp (I'd given them all the pertinent details in my request, like how I want that stock blue tint band at the top + usual make/model/year), was $1 over the other one that quoted but doesn't do mobile, and they offer free mobile service.

Done and done. Shall be $376 + tax, free mobile service done in my driveway on a day I WFH anyway next week. I approve of how they run their business.
Here in NC driver's insurance covers windshield replacement. Had the Toaster replaced two or three times and didn't cost me a penny. Ins. company gave me a choice of shops to choose from including mobile. You can get them to replace it just for being old, pitted and causing glare.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Here in NC driver's insurance covers windshield replacement. Had the Toaster replaced two or three times and didn't cost me a penny. Ins. company gave me a choice of shops to choose from including mobile. You can get them to replace it just for being old, pitted and causing glare.
CO has no such laws and I run a $1k comprehensive deductible. This windshield lasted me since I bought it (used) in 2014 through both of my periods of ownership of it, though. :D

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Busy ass week topped off with a co-worker (that I do like) pissing me off because of his inability to do paperwork and follow deadlines! Grrr.....I know that I like things done early, but when I set a deadline of 2/17 so I can complete the necessary deposits, registration forms etc. and remind you daily it is COMPLETELY unacceptable to bring your partial information and payment to me at 1:30pm on the day the actual registration closes and then feign ignorance at the other piece of paperwork that you are responsible for!!!!

Anyway....off to finish dinner (spaghetti & meatballs). Apparently I like to cook when I am annoyed...so many meatballs lol!