Quantcast

funny Roadie encounter

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Yesterday Megan and I were off on a little ride down the local paved trail. I was bobbing along on my AC and she was getting to know her new Hardtail and making small adjustments (seat height, shifting etc.). Well we had planned to ride out a few miles and then turn around and ride hard on the way back to try to get the heart rate up. At the turnaround point I figured I'd give her rear der a little adjustment because I had been hearing it skipping a bit. As I was finishing up an old man on a road bike came flying by unannounced. Almost took Megan out. Since we were getting ready to hammer anyway I decided to see if I could hang with him on my 35 lb AC. So I waved bye to Megan and chased his smelly ass down.

Once I caught him I figured Id give him a little of his own medicine... I flew past him unannounced. I was pushing my highest gear at a medium speed (replaced the bash ring with something larger for this particular ride and was putting it to good use). So the old man decided to stick to my wheel. It was on! I stepped it up to a very fast pace for a freeride bike, tallest gear plus a pretty high cadence. My bike simply didnt have the gearing to pull away from him. It must have looked comical as hell. A Flying and bobbing 6" travel mountain bike complete with ultra knobby 2.5 tires with an old roadie desperately clinging to its rear wheel. The game got old though with me not having ample gearing so I let him by and rode his wheel a bit, he slowed a good deal when he got in front, took it down 3 gears at least. I guess he was just trying to prove that I couldnt drop him and well, I couldnt.

Anyway good times, good times.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
My dad and I had the pleasure of passing and staying ahead of some guy on a moped. He was a fairly portly fellow, but after we passed you could hear him open up the throttle. Poor little thing simply did not have the juice to propel his massive self past us.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
This reminds me of when we were in Jim Thorpe for MBW this year. A bunch of us were doing this ride where there was a pretty good road climb to get to the trail head. Well I was on my SS, which meant I was either climbing pretty quick or walking. So I'm going up the hill, not pushing things really, just cruising. And all the sudden this asshat wearing a polka dot jersey comes by. He's huffing and puffing and looks like his heart is about to explode. He's only going like 1 mph faster than me, and I wasn't even trying. Anyway a couple minutes later Sq-earl catches up and tells me the story about how this guy was talking smack to Treesaw (pregnant) and jacksonpt about how he would "see you non-climbers at the top". I wish I had known that when I saw him, because I could have blown his doors off with ease :p

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Roadies are fun. I carry a couple cowbells in my truck at all times ;) Gibralter road in S.B. is where all the roadies get their "Lance" on climbing this steep fokker. This is also the road we use to get to the local DH trails. There is nothing funnier than a fatass 50-something roadie with his spare tire spilling out of his Team Discovery jersey, especially when he's wondering why a truckload of smelly DH'rs are yelling "Earn it!" and ringing cowbells.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
SWEET! i love the rhodE drop game.

Last night after riding 'the' trail for a short bit i went to a local closed in loop and commenced to rhodE' drop. First i dropped in behind a buddy him on his Rhode bike me on my racerX. Bunches of people file in. we're 22ish. Then he pulls off. i dont have speedometer but i heard lot's O meows from behind 25ish. i pulled off after a mile collective crowd "thank god."
chump for the back says something smart.
another buddy flys by 28ish. i jump on. he drops me at 30+. after a while group catches back up. dude from back 'that didnt last long'
me 'i didnt see you jump on.' D'oh fair enough.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I wouldn't say having someone you care about being buzzed is a "funny" situation. That's dangerous and annoying.

Zark said:
Roadies are fun. I carry a couple cowbells in my truck at all times ;) Gibralter road in S.B. is where all the roadies get their "Lance" on climbing this steep fokker. This is also the road we use to get to the local DH trails. There is nothing funnier than a fatass 50-something roadie with his spare tire spilling out of his Team Discovery jersey, especially when he's wondering why a truckload of smelly DH'rs are yelling "Earn it!" and ringing cowbells.
Wow, that's ironic... DHers shuttling yelling "earn it".

PS: Stop xx with roadies you xx moron. It's dangerous and even if you don't mean harm, causing one to crash could lead to jail time.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
LordOpie said:
I wouldn't say having someone you care about being buzzed is a "funny" situation. That's dangerous and annoying.

PS: Stop fvcking with roadies you c0cksucking moron. It's dangerous and even if you don't mean harm, causing one to crash could lead to jail time.
You gotta admit - the cowbell thing is pretty funny. :D

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
SkaredShtles said:
You gotta admit - the cowbell thing is pretty funny. :D
Perhaps perhaps perhaps.

However, having had too many close calls on the road makes one sensitive to boasted stupidity.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
LordOpie said:

PS: Stop xx with roadies you xx moron. It's dangerous and even if you don't mean harm, causing one to crash could lead to jail time.
Wow, no sense of humor. We are cheering our fellow riders on ;) Dangerous? I don't crowd them out of the road like other drivers. Ohh yeah, Watch your mouth 'Opie :nope:

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
golgiaparatus said:
Yesterday Megan and I were off on a little ride down the local paved trail. I was bobbing along on my AC and she was getting to know her new Hardtail and making small adjustments (seat height, shifting etc.). Well we had planned to ride out a few miles and then turn around and ride hard on the way back to try to get the heart rate up. At the turnaround point I figured I'd give her rear der a little adjustment because I had been hearing it skipping a bit. As I was finishing up an old man on a road bike came flying by unannounced. Almost took Megan out. Since we were getting ready to hammer anyway I decided to see if I could hang with him on my 35 lb AC. So I waved bye to Megan and chased his smelly ass down.

Once I caught him I figured Id give him a little of his own medicine... I flew past him unannounced. I was pushing my highest gear at a medium speed (replaced the bash ring with something larger for this particular ride and was putting it to good use). So the old man decided to stick to my wheel. It was on! I stepped it up to a very fast pace for a freeride bike, tallest gear plus a pretty high cadence. My bike simply didnt have the gearing to pull away from him. It must have looked comical as hell. A Flying and bobbing 6" travel mountain bike complete with ultra knobby 2.5 tires with an old roadie desperately clinging to its rear wheel. The game got old though with me not having ample gearing so I let him by and rode his wheel a bit, he slowed a good deal when he got in front, took it down 3 gears at least. I guess he was just trying to prove that I couldnt drop him and well, I couldnt.

Anyway good times, good times.
great story :think:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Zark said:
Wow, no sense of humor. We are cheering our fellow riders on ;) Dangerous? I don't crowd them out of the road like other drivers. Ohh yeah, Watch your mouth 'Opie :nope:
Humor is a subjective idea. I'm a student of humor and find this case to be less funny and more just stupid. While you're not buzzing roadies, you're still making noise and distracting them. Can most roadies handle the distraction? Of course, but there are some that can't. Stop being a d!ck.

PS: My "mouth" is justified in cases where people are bragging about creating dangerous situations. Think about it.

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
last week I had some punk kid on a circa 1970 schwinn try to burn me on my roady, it was a shameful effort he almost collapsed from wheezing so hard

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I left my car a few towns over yesterday. Instead of begging a ride off a friend I just woke up early and rode the 60 miles to pick it up. Went by a lot of kids waiting for the schoolbus. Most smiled and waved waved but one little hillbilly girl yelled at me to get off the road. I'm sure she has charming parents, probably only recognizes a bike as someting daddy rides when he gets a DWI.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
LordOpie said:
Humor is a subjective idea. I'm a student of humor and find this case to be less funny and more just stupid. While you're not buzzing roadies, you're still making noise and distracting them. Can most roadies handle the distraction? Of course, but there are some that can't. Stop being a d!ck.

PS: My "mouth" is justified in cases where people are bragging about creating dangerous situations. Think about it.
No thanks, I think you've inspired me to be more of dick. I just ordered a bullhorn :p

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
LordOpie said:
I'm a student of humor
Nothing is funny if you analyze it too much.

Anyway, Zark if you ride a road bike you should understand that it might be hard for a roadie to tell the difference between "cheering" and the more common jeering, and a sketchy rider could crash if they aren't expecting it. Yes people should be able to handle crap out there but that doesn't mean they all can, and most will not appreciate it. Give 'em a wide berth and maybe a thumbs up or something.

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
LordOpie said:

I blame too much TV and kids with Rice burners

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
playing drop the roadie game........most of the 50 year old plus roadies I ride with would school at least 90% of the riders in this forum

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
LordOpie said:

I think you need to know more about the situation before bashing people. I have been there when they "distract" a roadie. The roadies are very aware that a truck is coming behind them, the roadie is going very very slow and they either laugh, give em the bird or ignore them. There is nothing malicious about it, nor is there anything dangerous about it. Make sure you have ALL the facts about a situation before you judge it.

If you can't handle distractions on the bike, ESPECIALLY a road bike then you should be in the gym in a spin class. A honking car is far more dangerous then a bunch of dumb, loud DHers.

If you are a student of humor I think you must be in the special ed class.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Ciaran said:
If you can't handle distractions on the bike, ESPECIALLY a road bike then you should be in the gym in a spin class. A honking car is far more dangerous then a bunch of dumb, loud DHers.
How do you handle the road without experiencing it?

I take newbies out for rides and take the lane so they can develop the skills and comfort needed to ride alone.

But not every newbie has someone willing to do that for them.

So, harrassing a roadie is likely to lead to nothing, but you will eventually come across a newbie who will panic and that's your fault for distracting them.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Opie, Sounds like you've got a fever.......and the only cure is more cowbell! ;)

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Zark said:
Opie, Sounds like you've got a fever.......and the only cure is more cowbell! ;)
I give up, I'll never use cowbell to cheer on a fellow rider. You've taught me the error of my ways. I was wrong, so wrong.... Thanks for this important lesson in bike saftey and courtesy
You pvssy! I was hoping for a good cat fight! dang!

Well, if anything you can see why we make fun of roadies. They are very uptight and take themselves way too seriously. :p

Opie, I understand what you are saying, I just think you are being too uptight about this. Differing opinions. Oh well... just don't start cussing me out now.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
If you don't ride a road bike in traffic, you have no clue how easy it is to get messed up badly.

I accept the risk every time and I'm okay with people harrassing me, but go ride in traffic with newbies... your opinion will change quickly.

You can flame me all you want, but to down play the safety of others is your problem, not mine.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
A roadie demanding respect by calling a DHer a moron and a pvssy is as about as effective as those stupid "critical ass" rides are at making motorists like cyclists.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Echo said:
A roadie demanding respect by calling a DHer a moron and a pvssy is as about as effective as those stupid "critical ass" rides are at making motorists like cyclists.
I'm impressed that you find time to make stupid posts with all the moderating you do! :thumb:

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Dude, the cowbell thing happens on a road far away from heavy traffic and on a steep ass climb. There shouldn't be any newbies around. Half of the roadies I razz, I know. But you are right, I'm a serious saftey hazard :rolleyes:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
LordOpie said:
I'm impressed that you find time to make stupid posts with all the moderating you do! :thumb:
Perhaps you would like to point out what part of my statement you disagree with, rather than your normal practice of avoiding actual discussion by posting personal insults.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Echo said:
Perhaps you would like to point out what part of my statement you disagree with, rather than your normal practice of avoiding actual discussion by posting personal insults.
Well, I did not demand or even request respect for myself or anyone. So that part of your statement was stupid and full of straw.

I also never said "pvssy", I said "c0cksucker", so you obviously weren't really reading this thread. And you should've known the insult I used as you edited my post.

In other words, you were NOT looking for a discussion, just an opportunity to politely insult me. No worries, I do the same with you :D

My arguement was not about respect, just safety.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
LordOpie said:
My arguement was not about respect, just safety.
I don't believe you.

But I do think it's funny how you choose to argue symantics with me instead of noticing that everyone thinks you overreacted and unnecessarily started a sh!tstorm about safety with someone who is posing no safety threat.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Oh, and are you saying that you think calling him names and provoking him is going to positively affect his behavior? If yes, good luck with that. If no, then you missed the point of my post. Maybe you will get it now? Probably not.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Jebus, what is with all they hate here?

They are out riding a bike. So what if they are playing a game of make believe where they think they are lance friggan armostrong, They are still out riding.

Yea, all you cool guys show those roadies who's boss. You're almost as bad as them.....