Quantcast

funny thing on my shock.

atb

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
the north shore
i got my brand new 2000 rock shocks pro deluxe in the mail yesterday and it has a 7mm(0.25") aluminum ring at the bottem of the shaft, under the bumper. this changes my 2.75" stroke shock in to a 2.5" stroke shock. why is it there?

skyst3alth

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Denver, CO
DROP said:
if your riding a rocks shox that has like 2.5 inches of travel why is this in the dh forum?
ohhhhhh boy...

Stroke my friend, not travel. Why are you on the downhill forum if you can't piece that together?

-Adam

atb

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
the north shore
has eny one ever seen eny thing like this befor on a rear shock? my giant DH team now only gets a max of 7.5" of travel (it should be 8.25").

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
DROP said:
if your riding a rocks shox that has like 2.5 inches of travel why is this in the dh forum?
DROP in the Freeride Forum said:
WTF?? that was the most pointless post i have ever read
Now I see why we have the freeride forum. Go there and stay there.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
atb said:
i got my brand new 2000 rock shocks pro deluxe in the mail yesterday and it has a 7mm(0.25") aluminum ring at the bottem of the shaft, under the bumper. this changes my 2.75" stroke shock in to a 2.5" stroke shock. why is it there?
What year Giant DH frame is it on?

No clue why that ring is there...maybe to solidify the lower spring collar. You can't take it off either unless you send it in.

vtrider

Monkey
Apr 11, 2005
vermont
and you're goin to break that one if you ride it. our shop had every single one we sold come back blown, many in under two weeks. and we sold like fifty.
and how is 2000 new? its 5 years old man. Time to invest in a new rear shock. may a suggest a romic or a swinger?

Zaskar Rider

Monkey
May 29, 2002
PNW
I saw one snap the shock shaft and shoot it out of the spring. The shock shaft is not somewhere off the side of A-line. Kinda funny when your buddy can pull the bottom plate off his shock on the side of the trail and the bottom plate is a full circle...

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
if this shock was put together in 2000, the first thing you must do is have it serviced. the nitrogen pressure will be pretty much gone and the oil will be contaminated just from sitting there (yes this does happen). Chances are that its gonna die really quick if you dont get someone to get to work on it

atb

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
the north shore
scottishmark said:
if this shock was put together in 2000, the first thing you must do is have it serviced. the nitrogen pressure will be pretty much gone and the oil will be contaminated just from sitting there (yes this does happen). Chances are that its gonna die really quick if you dont get someone to get to work on it

do you know how much rock shocks charges for a rebuild.