Quantcast

Fuqqin poison ivy

J

JRB

I don't have it bad, but have a few little irritating spots. I hate that sh*t. That is all.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I got it in a weird spots. Instead of on my arms or legs where it would actually directly touch you its on my right foot and left thumb... :think: I guess it went straight through objects like gloves and shoes :confused:

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
loco-gringo said:
I don't have it bad, but have a few little irritating spots. I hate that sh*t. That is all.
Don't you even have a crash story, or at least a crawling around in the bushes story, do go with this?

Nah, I feel for ya: I got it clearing brush (didja know that stuff can still get on you even when it's dormant and bare?) at our old place and I had to go to the doc for it. Yum Yum Prednizone.

Now let's all just sit back and enjoy the thought of Loco scratching himself.

J

JRB

It is just dull itches. I got it on 1 finger last week through a hole in a glove cutting a big ass tree on the trail. I bumped little bits at Cameron Park on a ride with Wumpus and Julie yesterday. I hate this crap.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Fathead said:
(didja know that stuff can still get on you even when it's dormant and bare?)
Archaeologists have gotten P.O. from objects 100's of years old. Those oils are stable and don't go away.

I've heard of people getting it head to toe from jumping in a pond only to find a top layer of P.O. oils washed downstream from a rainstorm. :dead:

fanatical

Chimp
May 23, 2004
NJ
loco-gringo said:
I got it all over me (yup, there too) playing paintball in Pittsburgh a few years back, it was awful. The worst part about it was I went out drinking with a girl a few days later and we made it back to my place. She ends up spending the night but I couldn't let her touch me. I never pass it up but in that case... :nope:

InsaneP2Rider

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
i'm covered right now. i went working on some of our trails yesterday that has alot of undergrowth...and lots of poison ivy. it's covered my legs right now and alot of my hands and arms. and it seems to be spreading to some weird spots, and it's really annoying during school and football practice.

at least we got a nice drop built...

J

JRB

fanatical said:
I got it all over me (yup, there too) playing paintball in Pittsburgh a few years back, it was awful. The worst part about it was I went out drinking with a girl a few days later and we made it back to my place. She ends up spending the night but I couldn't let her touch me. I never pass it up but in that case... :nope:

But you hit it later right?? or did she think you were in love with Carlos??

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Nursing a couple of spots on the back of each of my calves right now. I think it got there from my shin guards which must have had a bit of oil residue left on them from earlier in the year.

I hate PO.

I've heard that "eat a bit of it to gain immunity," but I'm not doing it.

J

JRB

dh girlie said:
Ok...I'm going to sloooowwwlly back away from this...I've been lured too many times by such comments and then gotten in trouble!
I'm just tryin to get my sh*t back on track.

fanatical

Chimp
May 23, 2004
NJ
loco-gringo said:
But you hit it later right?? or did she think you were in love with Carlos??

Haha...I didnt tell her why I wouldnt sleep with her, I just stopped her from getting past 1st base and went to bed. About a week later I saw her at a party, she got drunk and left with some clown so I ended up with her friend. No complaints here, her friend was smoking!

mirage542

Chimp
Aug 30, 2004
You guys got it easy im just recovering from poisen ivy so bad i had to take steroids to pump it out of my system. I got cut by the ivy so it got in the cut. both my feet/ ankles swelled up to twice there size. it spread up my legs to mid thigh and stomach (very luckily not in the pelvic region). my legs turned into a festering wound. It would ooze like crazy, enough so when it dried my legs would be crusted up with 1/4 in thich layer of pus.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Skookum said:
Just chew on a little bit every once in a while, you'll gain an immunity to it.... :monkey:
Does this really work? :think:

Maybe I'll make a salad and try it out on my brother first.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Myth 2. If you eat poison ivy, you'll be protected from it in the future.

False. It's difficult to imagine how such a dangerous myth became so widespread. Eating poison ivy can result in a serious reaction and can even be fatal. Still, every year, students repeat this myth beginning, "My uncle says..." or "My Papaw says..."

http://paipm.cas.psu.edu/pivy.html

J

JRB

Wumpus said:
Myth 2. If you eat poison ivy, you'll be protected from it in the future.

False. It's difficult to imagine how such a dangerous myth became so widespread. Eating poison ivy can result in a serious reaction and can even be fatal. Still, every year, students repeat this myth beginning, "My uncle says..." or "My Papaw says..."

http://paipm.cas.psu.edu/pivy.html
Never listen to anyone that uses "my Papaw".

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
No salad for lunch?

Yeah, Papaw that be sum country speak for I'm a complete redneck.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Try Technu. It was developed by a Russian scienist as a soap to wash off radioactive dust. Turns out it is the ONLY substance that can wash off the oil and keep it from spreading. I get poison ivy on a regular basis. I put this stuff on and then treat it with calhmine (sp?) lotion to dry it up. Works everytime. The quickier you wash it off, the better it works. However you can even use it once its full blown and festering.

J

JRB

Yeah Technu is good stuff. Once it festers, I scrub with Technu and a brush and it never itches again. It is then gone in 3 days. When I know I was in it, I wash within a few hours.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Also looking into this stuff I read about yesterday. I don't think it's available yet and I don't have a link to the whole article, but I'll find one if anyone wants it... Here's part:

The study presented last fall showed that Zanfel Poison Ivy Wash, a patented mix of alcohol solubles and soap-like substances made by Zanfel Laboratories Inc. of Chicago, reduces blistering and itching from poison ivy markedly better than plain soap and water. Like Tecnu, an older rival, the product is designed to be rubbed into affected skin, where it binds to urushiol; then it's washed away.

It could just be like Technu, but I'll try everything I can until I find the one that works best for me.

Actually, the more I seem to get it, the faster and easier it goes away. Maybe I am building up some kind of immunity.

J

JRB

dh girlie said:
You're not supposed to wait till it festers , goober...you wash with technu immediately following exposure...
I know, but sometimes, just sometimes, you don't know you were exposed. Now leave me alone and help some citizens. :mumble: