Quantcast

Fvck vi!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
vi is teh old hotness. don't knock it if your memory is too poor to remember how to type esc :wq

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Pau11y said:
Are you talking about coding in VI or EMACS or are you talking about compiling the actual text editor proggie?
./configure --without-tiff --without-xpm --without-jpeg --without-gif --without-png

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
jdschall said:
Is say :g/emacs/s//vi/g and be done with it. vi ain't bad.
It's true, but I am doing a lot of coding now, so emacs is better for that.

At one point, I knew how to use emacs, vi, xedit (mainframe), and VMS's editor, edt. I was the editor king!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
why is emacs better for coding? vi's highlighting worked just fine for me in C, C++, Java, and Lisp... what more can you ask for ?(short of a graphical environment like apple's XCode :drool: )

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Toshi said:
why is emacs better for coding? vi's highlighting worked just fine for me in C, C++, Java, and Lisp... what more can you ask for ?(short of a graphical environment like apple's XCode :drool: )
That's not vi if it's color coded. That would be vim, I am guessing.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Toshi said:
1. Emacs can split its editing window in half, which you could set up a shell-window to run your compilation/test. While it has little value today, it was invaluable in the days of terminals.
2. Emacs is very customizable. I could set a simple key stroke to insert headers or other text.
3. Emacs automatically flashes the location matching open bracket when you type the closing one, which is extremely important with large logic statements like nested if's.
4. Emacs will indent your text automatically (or later with indent-region), according to the language you are writing in (automatically detected as well) or your own indent style.
5. Emacs is portable.
6. Emacs uses regular expressions as well as interactive queries for search/replace.

Emacs rulz, vi sux.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
ah, you're right, jimmydean. i added "alias vi vim" so long ago i forgot about it. anyway, vim addresses points 1, 2, 4, 5, and 6. and maybe 3, i'm not sure

:)