Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
:greedy: :greedy: :greedy:

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/08/28/costco_400gb_100/

Costco selling 400 GB hard drives for $100
By Humphrey Cheung
Published Monday 28th August 2006 13:44 GMT

Just when you thought hard drive prices couldn't get any lower, certain Costco stores are selling 400 GB internal hard drives for $99.97. The Western Digital 7200 RPM drives have been available for a few weeks and the price thankfully does not include any coupon or rebate hassles.

The drives come in retail boxes and include a generic SATA PCI card and SATA cable. The drives are Costco product number #938802 and we originally saw them at the San Bernardino Costco store in Southern California. This deal is offered at some, but not all, of Costco's other stores. It also does not seem to be offered at Costco's online store.

There is an easy way to find out which stores are selling the drives, if you cannot find them at your closest store. Walk up to the supervisor who mans the caged area at the front of the store - this is the area where Costco locks up valuable merchandise. Give the supervisor the part number and they can look up which stores have the drives and how many are in stock.

Prices for many electronics seem to be in a freefall. Last week we reported (http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/08/22/starline_lowusbmemory_price/) about a company that is offering 1 GB USB flash drives for $12.99 - to buyers who order 100 or more drives.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Good price. $0.25/gb is the "great deal" price point.

I can't believe they come with a SATA PCI card... Seems odd.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
To those of us who aren't computer savvy, what does this mean?
It means that if you don't have a new computer, with a motherboard that supports SATA, you can still buy this hard drive because it's got a little adapter card that plugs in.

SATA (serial ATA) is the new standard that will be replacing IDE, the old pain-in-the-ass ribbon cables that you had to deal with when installing new hard drives or CD drives.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
It means that if you don't have a new computer, with a motherboard that supports SATA, you can still buy this hard drive because it's got a little adapter card that plugs in.

SATA (serial ATA) is the new standard that will be replacing IDE, the old pain-in-the-ass ribbon cables that you had to deal with when installing new hard drives or CD drives.
Maybe I'll go get one. All I have in my home PC is SCSI & IDE right now. SATA might be nice. Especially if the card has an external SATA port for connecting external drives.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
Luckily I ain't got no IDE. Well - besides the CD/DVD drives. I've currently got 4 SCSI drives hooked up and one external USB drive. One of these days I'll have to get a new PC & this one can be relegated to a RAID-5 fileserver.
OMG, DUDE you are such a geek. You ain't got anything, Boeing owns it. Watchyu got at home, Eh? :busted:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Dude, 400gigs!!!!!! Here I come. I'm super happy with my western digi 129gb, I just want more storage. Sweet.