Quantcast

FYI: Yeti

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
If you look on the website, bikes that are made in the US say "Made in Colardo" or "Made in the US".

Funny... someone must be updating the website as we speak. I clicked on the DH9 link and got it once then the next time I got a blank page with a 303team link in the address bar.

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
I think that the ASX is made in Taiwan (didn't look at your link though) Taiwanese builders are very skilled though. My friend loves his.

profro said:
If you look on the website, bikes that are made in the US say "Made in Colardo" or "Made in the US".

Funny... someone must be updating the website as we speak. I clicked on the DH9 link and got it once then the next time I got a blank page with a 303team link in the address bar.
Yeah, I was just told that a few days ago. Had never noticed before. I guess where I was "mislead" was from the literature in their "Factory Tour" link. But even then, it's more my ignorance and reading into it too much that led to my misconception. I guess it just made it seem like all this stuff was being done by the people in the Colorado factory.

Racing and R&D
All of our designs are conceived and proven on the race course. Though everyone at Yeti rides and tests our bikes, we don’t all have the skills to push our products like professional racers. So we listen to what our racers need, create preliminary designs using Solidworks (a solid modeling CAD program) and then weld up prototypes. Our design focus is to create simple, effective designs - so you won’t see a lot of fluff in our designs, just highly optimized, performance driven designs.

Tubing
We only use custom tubing, made to our specifications, from the best manufacturers in the industry. It is more expensive and time consuming to make custom tubes, but it allows us to optimize each tube for the best ride characteristics. You won’t see gussets on our frames because our tubes are custom butted and tapered to handle the rigors of off-road riding. The best frames start with the best tubes.
Small Production Runs
We are constantly poking and prodding our racers to tell us everything – good and bad – about our product, so we can continuously improve our designs. Our in-house manufacturing process is set-up so we can make changes on the fly, incorporating improvements as soon as we need them. This is unlike large manufacturing plants that are heavily tooled and can’t make changes until the next model year.

Mitering
It takes a tough man to make a strong bike, and it all starts with the mitering of the tubes. Each one of our tubes is precision mitered to exacting specifications. This ensures the frame will stay straighter during welding and creates a stronger joint and a more durable frame.

Tacking / Welding
After the tubing is mitered, we use our tacking fixture to double-check the miters – if the frame is not exactly right, it won’t fit into the fixture. Once in the fixture, we place a small spot weld on each joint to stake the frame into place.

It then goes off to master welder, Chris Kopp, who waves his torch like a magic wand over the frames and creates perfect welds or as we call them “a stack of dimes.” All of our welds are equal science and artistry. The “stack of dimes” allows the tubes to make smooth transitions and minimizes any stress risers on the frame.

Powdercoating
All of our frames go through a multi-step powdercoating process. First we coat the frames and do a short heat-cure. This allows us to apply the decals on the frame so we can cure them a second time, which bakes the decals into the frame…they essentially become part of the paint. We then do a final clear-coat to protect the decals and give you years of lasting beauty.

Hand-Finishing
All of our frames are hand-finished by our master technicians. Each bottom bracket faced and chased to ensure proper alignment of the bottom bracket. The headtube is hand faced and the seattube is reamed. Each frame is then checked for alignment and goes through a 13 step Quality Control inspection before it goes into a box.​

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Well, they all used to be done there back in the day. But I like the way it is now. It makes bikes like the AS-X, 575, and DJ affordable to most of the masses, but owning a DJ I can tell you that who ever welded it was certainly skilled. Plus whether Yeti makes it or it is out sourced, Yeti is not here to sell crap. I here ya, but don't be let down. How many other bike companies ship out bikes with the BBs, headtubes, and seattubes hand faced and reamed? Sick! :drool:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Lord... Reading that other thread... They make it seem like outsourcing a few bikes out of their lineup has destroyed the Yeti name.

People need to grow up. Businesses are not there to do charity for riders. They are there to make money - plain and simple. Taiwan produces some absolutely top notch stuff for a lot less money than most U.S. production lines will, and sometimes that's the only way a company can stay competetive.

"But.. but.. it's destroying the company's soul!" - Bullsh*t. Companies don't have soul. There are good companies, with good bikes, who have good customer service, and there is everyone else. If the company remains good, still produces a good bike, and still has good customer service, then I don't care if they're producing their bikes on the moon.

(ahem, none of that rant was aimed at you, azonicbruce)

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
binary visions said:
Lord... Reading that other thread... They make it seem like outsourcing a few bikes out of their lineup has destroyed the Yeti name.

People need to grow up. Businesses are not there to do charity for riders. They are there to make money - plain and simple. Taiwan produces some absolutely top notch stuff for a lot less money than most U.S. production lines will, and sometimes that's the only way a company can stay competetive.

"But.. but.. it's destroying the company's soul!" - Bullsh*t. Companies don't have soul. There are good companies, with good bikes, who have good customer service, and there is everyone else. If the company remains good, still produces a good bike, and still has good customer service, then I don't care if they're producing their bikes on the moon.

(ahem, none of that rant was aimed at you, azonicbruce)
That's classic - my friend who rides the ASX - bought his out of die-hard conviction that everything in his house should be "Made in America" - I think that he died a little the day that he realized the err of his decision.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
this is news from about two years ago, get with it bruce... I agree with BV though, what's the real differance between a shop in tiawan and a shop in colorado, both have the best equipment, both recieve the best materials, the guy in colorado gets paid $100 a day to weld one frame while the guy in tiawan gets paid $12 a day to weld 5 frames. The guy in tiawan is in my mind a superior welder because his frames can still meet the quality requirements yet he's 5 times as fast as the crusty old guy who has an ego big enough to be the world's best welder.

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
binary visions said:

QUOTE]

yeah its not like the people in taiwan have toes on thier hands and can't weld. they seem to make everything else we own pretty well with those toe hands

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
s1ngletrack said:
That's classic - my friend who rides the ASX - bought his out of die-hard conviction that everything in his house should be "Made in America" - I think that he died a little the day that he realized the err of his decision.

I doubt you could put together a bike without using some components made in asia. I remember MBA tryed it and the bike had a lot of chi chi pauls drivetrain.

So does your friend not have a tv, dvd, or computer. I don't think anyone has made a tv in the us in 20 yrs.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
stoney98 said:
(the DJ in not *particularly* a race bike --> see 4x)

-stone
Too bad they don't have anymore 4x's left. I've already checked and nothing available in the near future. :mumble:

DHblur

Monkey
Jul 23, 2003
Arvada, CO
Anything that can be ordered in the yeti turqouise is made in the factory over at golden.

And I don't think that the 4x project will be resold again soon.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
A few months ago I tried to tell the guy at my local Yeti dealer that the AS-X was made in tawain and he wasn't having it. The funny thing is they are a good knowledgeable high-end shop. I think it is misleading as well but I personally don't care either way...

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
My ASX is the 1st taiwan bike i have ever owned!
They flew their welder over there to show them the way they like their welds to be-large dia.weld wire and big flat welds that cover more area.There has to be heavily butted tubes to take the heat and not burn through,that's also why they don't use gussets,the tubes are so thick on the ends.(Your cannondale had similar tubes but then it looks like they made the head tube too thin to take the extra heat and burned through.)
The ASX does have pretty radical tubes in that they are both externally tapered and internally as well.
If anyone has that rescent issue of BIKE that had the taiwan factory story you can see the factory that builds the BMC road bikes that Tyler Hamilton rides-Yeti said that that guy only builds BMC an Yeti bikes.It looks like a very sano place.
Now that i'm a dad i have a very real view on the value of affordable bikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PS Bruce Your bike shipped.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
stoney98 said:
I heard this. Have you heard anything about making a new run?
I have heard that they will not be doing production runs on any of the Special Projects frames ever again. Cost to produce in such limited quantities outweighed the actual demand for the frames ro something like that is what I have heard. But who knows, those kids over there are WACKY. I mean, they got a flippin' ROLLERCOASTER sittin' in the middle of their new DH frame!

KOOKY, I tell ya!

leprechaun said:
PS Bruce Your bike shipped.
No kidding!!! I've been tracking it since Friday :D One of the packages got stuck in Denver due to weather :eek: I freaked, but luckily it updated and it still scheduled to arrive tomorrow. So stoked :heart:
leprechaun said:
Now that i'm a dad i have a very real view on the value of affordable bikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You're a dad? HUGE Congrats, man! :thumb: My little rascal is 2 1/2 years old and tons of fun. He loves his bike but still can't quite get the concept of pedaling down. :blah:

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Yeah, congratualtions, I guess you're getting some sleep at this point which is why we've seen more of you around here. Your world sure does change when the little monsters come along, not that they really cost an arm and a leg, but you realize that there are probabally other things you could spend money on that would give a better payoff than bike stuff. I'm going on almost a year without a single upgrade, my last bike related purchase was actually a derailur to replace the one I smashed, something I needed rather than wanted. :thumb:

mtbman4

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
windrock
binary visions said:
I don't care if they're producing their bikes on the moon.
Funny thing...I just heard a rumor over a very reliable internet site that Fox is shifting operations to the moon for production of the new DH forks. This lunar factory allows for the sub 7 pound weight. Word has it that the lowers are made of cheese.

:confused:

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
People need to get over this made in the US thing. MOST bikes are not made here. Why do you think they call it Giant. Alot of builders have them MACHINED/WELDED overseas and then ASSEMBLED in the US. I swear the US is soooooo stuck on themselves. We think that only the US can build a good anything. If it's not made in the good ol USA it must suck... right.

skeletor

Chimp
Mar 22, 2004
STORE.
my as-x was made in colorado with easton tubing. 03 baby! ive seen the newer ones, and i didnt see anything wrong with it. it was actually a little niceer, because it had sealed bearing pivotals. it was sweet. but id take my 03 over the 04.

Grimey

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
cali
Haven't checked out their newer stuff, but my '02 asx was sweet, quality beyond anything I have scene. The main bearing pivot yoke thing was amazing.

Didn't Frank the Welder help give Yeti their name back in the 80's? I used to work with a guy that still has his old Yeti Team bike, think it was before Johnny T's days with 'em - anywho.. the bike was sweeeeeeetttt, even 10 or so years later it was a bitchin' ride.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Before the "new" ASX, there was the 01 and 02 which had 4,5,6" of travel. The o1s had the Yeti "knuckle" in the top tube and the 02 had the "regular" top tube. Stoney does that sound right?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
profro said:
Before the "new" ASX, there was the 01 and 02 which had 4,5,6" of travel. The o1s had the Yeti "knuckle" in the top tube and the 02 had the "regular" top tube. Stoney does that sound right?
Err, let me clarify what I said above. I meant all the years (2003+) of the "new" AS-X - I know there was an old model. I almost bought a used one out of the B&S forum actually.

skeletor

Chimp
Mar 22, 2004
STORE.
stoney98 said:
do you have the "new" model? 6/7" of travel? Because if it is that frame then you have a taiwan bike. Also, the old model 4/5/6" is an 02. Just a heads up.
ive got a plate on the back, that says "made in golden colorado", maybe its a new city in taiwan?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
stoney98 said:
The "old" asx had 4-5-6" of travel via a fox rc. it looked like a burly kokopelli. It did not have the oversized tubing and was made in CO.

All Yeti bikes use easton tubing. The easton tubing on the newer bikes (dj, asx, 4x) are proprietary to Yeti. They were designed in conjunction w/ yeti and only yeti can get them.

-stone
My ASX is even older than the burly Kokopelli one. Its has the knuckle in the top tube like the ASR and it was made in CO as well.

Which bikes are made with Worth tubing, the 575?

iljicS

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Budapest, HU
I've AS-X, I purchased in April. this is the best bike I've ever ride and only this important for me. I got a perfect frame for a fair price. Just a quastion: the Bullit is a bit cheaper than AS-X but it still made in the US, how it is possible ?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
stoney98 said:
I didn't know about a switch in tubing. That's news to me. details please, I don't have time to cal;l seth.
I thought they were using Worth tubing on things nowadays due to Easton not meeting their special needs. Don't quote me, but I think that is a new development in 04.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
stoney98 said:
The first of the "new" asx's came out in late 02, they're labeled 03's but htey're closer to 2002.5 they had a shorter i-2-i and bushings on the shock. the 2003 came with a longer i-2-i which led to a smoother stroke, but it still had bushings on the shock mount. the 2003.5 and newer have both the long i-2-i and bearings for all pivot points.

The "old" asx had 4-5-6" of travel via a fox rc. it looked like a burly kokopelli. It did not have the oversized tubing and was made in CO.

All Yeti bikes use easton tubing. The easton tubing on the newer bikes (dj, asx, 4x) are proprietary to Yeti. They were designed in conjunction w/ yeti and only yeti can get them.

-stone
Mine has a 7.875 x 2.25 shock and bushings at the swing link, I thought I bought it from the first batch of the "new" ones in march of '03. Mine is the one that has issues with the swing link mounting holes wallowing out in the 6" position apparently. A friend has an '04 with a 2.5 stroke shock and bearings. Was there an earlier 6-7" model than the one I have with a shorter I2I or are you confusing the 2003.5 and 2002.5 dates. Not that it really matters, I'd just always thought that mine was the from the very first batch, I didn't realize there was an batch of the new 6-7" model that had been released before 2003.